Mac Dude

The SSD Journey - optimal configuration and use

I shall watch this thread.

I'm tossing up the idea of using an SSD for my OS drive in my new PC. Decision time next paycheck..

It's a must for any new build, I reckon.

EDIT : New firmware out today for the OCZ Vertex SSDs...

But, no stock anywhere! Come on importers, lift your game! Daddy wants some SSD Lovin!

I've got some OS X experience to share.

NCQ on SSDs is different in purpose and implementation to magnetic drives.

On a magnetic drive, NCQ allows the head to traverse the disk carrying out it's functions in the most effective path possible, reducing AVERAGE latency when a series of seemingly random reads/write happen, or when files are fragmented.

In an SSD, NCQ is SUPPOSED to give the drive something to do while the computer is too busy to keep directing the SSD. The computer can give a bunch of commands, then crunch numbers while the SSD does it's business, rather than having to keep feeding the SSD.

It's possible (and based on my experience) that some drives seem to implement NCQ better than others. Intel and Samsung drives I've played with seem to do this very effectively. So benchmarks comparing NCQ/IDE, really only apply to that model of SSD, and possible the SATA controller too :/

In OS X, I've found that most cheap SSDs suffer from the aging issue if used as the boot drive. In contrast, when used in a multi-drive system as an application/data drive, they don't tend to suffer this issue. The downside is that you don't get the snappy boot times, the upside is that you get games/apps/data loading very quickly, as long as they don't rely too heavily on system components. In my tests, it works very well. I'd be interested in seeing people's feedback for windows users putting applications on a secondary SSD, with a magnetic primary.

MacDude: How does the drive seem to go with it's "garbage collection" program? You aren't suffering any SSD jitters yet? What %age of drive do you have filled?

Does OS X support TRIM?

EDIT: I'm not sure :/

Apparently they've firmwared machines to have TRIM support, but I don't think SL currently has TRIM support included.

Which disks actually have SATA standard TRIM support?

Edited by TinBane

I know OCZ's and Intel's do.

Probably the new Kingston's as well.

Edited by iamthemaxx

MacDude: How does the drive seem to go with it's "garbage collection" program? You aren't suffering any SSD jitters yet? What %age of drive do you have filled?

No jitters and I think the garbage collection takes care of that. Given it's Windows 7 for me, the drive is supposed to do it's own garbage collection after a period of idle time (30 minutes I think). Given it's an OS drive for me, this doesn't happen very often. So I schedule a manual garbage collection once a week. This had issues for me that I mentioned in the OP, but if the drive was configured as Native IDE the garbage collection would take about 1-2 minutes.

The drive is about 2/3rds full and I'm trying to maintain that level.

I'd like to add OSX experiences to the OP, so I'll copy/paste some of your stuff if that's ok...

Ordered a 120g Vertex from PCCG, supposedly stock in tomorrow. I just hope preordering a bit over a week in advance was enough to guarantee a drive for me. Looking forward to see it run on a fresh install of win7, hopefully I can figure out how to flash the little blighter.

Ordered a 120g Vertex from PCCG, supposedly stock in tomorrow. I just hope preordering a bit over a week in advance was enough to guarantee a drive for me. Looking forward to see it run on a fresh install of win7, hopefully I can figure out how to flash the little blighter.

Follow the bouncing instructions :)

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...ead.php?t=63498

Does OS X support TRIM?

Better late than never...sorry about that.

Mac OS X 10.5/6/other do not currently support any form of TRIM.

Does OS X support TRIM?

Better late than never...sorry about that.

Mac OS X 10.5/6/other do not currently support any form of TRIM.

Just purchased an OCZ vertex2 100g SSD.

My main query is do i just run my OS (WIN 7) on this and everything else on the WD 500 ?

What about running two SSD's? One for OS and the other for main apps, games etc?

About to start building the new rig.

esssh... Dude, there have been many discussions on this already on this forum. However, since you asked, I will answer your query. Basically, you would run your OS and any other critical applications (eg, the game/s you play most, MS Office, etc.) off the SSD. The rest can go on the HDD. Of course you could buy 2 SSDs and do just as you suggested. However, ask yourself whether you are willing to spend the dosh on the second SDD considering the cost per GB of one of those things. Consider the prices of the OCZ Vertex 2. The price of a 60GB Vertex 2 is about $280 (at Umart) and just about doubles to $500 (also at Umart) for the 100GB Vertex 2. IMHO, it isnt cost effective to store non-critical data on an SSD (apart from your favourite games and your OS of course). So, do as you will :P

just thought id add my 2 cents to this thread. I normally run a stripped 0 array in my windows box, and gets a WEI of 6.3 (disk) and after upgrading to a Corsair X64 SSD, my WEI has gone up to 7.3 (disk).

Looking at those numbers, it seems reasonable that ive gained a 16% increase in boot time and OS operation speed (when dependant upon disk throughput) The boot time seems to confirm this also on my box going from stripped to SSD.

That said, i recon 16% is jack shit realy, and seems to me that SSD is much, muchly overrated!!!

I do like the no noise factor, thats properly more beneficial than any slight speed increase.

at any rate, iam not super impressed.

I just installed on a 60gb SF ssd (patriot inferno) and came from a single 150gb raptor (not velociraptor, the old one)

and I'm not impressed...., good for a lappy tho, but a little disaponted, i thought it might be a it more amazing than what it is...

yet to bench, but it doesnt feel much faster.

anyhoo, I am happy fpr a few of the other reasons, mainly this is quiet and cool, where the raptor is a lot noisy and hot.

Spewingly w7 didnt see my drive and I had to disble defrag, thanks to this thread I made sure I checked.

cheers

When I installed some last week (OCZ Vertex 2), Win7 disabled defrag but not indexing.

AS SSD Benchmark 1.5.3784.37609

------------------------------

Name: Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD ATA Device

Firmware: 320A13F0

Controller: msahci

Offset: 103424 K - OK

Size: 55.90 GB

Date: 25/11/2010 10:35:02 PM

Sequential:

Read: 160.10 MB/s

Write: 95.33 MB/s

4K:

Read: 20.19 MB/s

Write: 50.15 MB/s

4K-64Threads:

Read: 23.97 MB/s

Write: 78.73 MB/s

Access Times:

Read: 0.120 ms

Write: 0.240 ms

Score:

Read: 60

Write: 138

Total: 236

I don't know what that means!!?!

just thought id add my 2 cents to this thread. I normally run a stripped 0 array in my windows box, and gets a WEI of 6.3 (disk) and after upgrading to a Corsair X64 SSD, my WEI has gone up to 7.3 (disk).

Looking at those numbers, it seems reasonable that ive gained a 16% increase in boot time and OS operation speed (when dependant upon disk throughput) The boot time seems to confirm this also on my box going from stripped to SSD.

That said, i recon 16% is jack shit realy, and seems to me that SSD is much, muchly overrated!!!

I do like the no noise factor, thats properly more beneficial than any slight speed increase.

at any rate, iam not super impressed.

16% ain't jack shit!

It's an increase!

With regards to alignment offset, you pretty much only need to worry about this on RAID arrays as the offset can cause sector boundaries to cross between disks. This can lead to inefficiencies such as two disks being involved in an IO that should only need one disk.

MS has a KB on calculating the offset. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929491

There is plenty of other info out there, just google "alignment offset RAID"

Just ordered my 60 gig corsair SSD.

Should help my system along nicely. Should get it on monday.

Thanks for the post Macca. Lots of help there :)

My system currently runs;

Core i5 760

4 gig ddr 3

GTX 470

windows 7 64 bit

1TB seagate drive

So dropping in that SSD would be my next best upgrade option. Yes?

Edited by hulkster

I stand by what i said, 16% is jack shit.. That said, things may get interesting if you raid0 2 ssd's...

at any case, i wouldn't upgrade any component for a lousy 16% increase...

OCZ'z Vertex Pro 3 Demo: World's First SandForce SF-2000

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4100/ocz-ver...andforce-sf2000

Today at CES, OCZ previewed its first SF-2000 based drives: the Vertex 3 Pro and Vertex 3 EX. Both are based on SandForce’s SF-2582 controller, the highest end offering in the SF-2000 family. The drives won’t see the light of day for months (sometime in Q2) and what OCZ is showing today is very, *very* early silicon and hardware. The drives are using 32nm Toshiba toggle-mode NAND (effectively DDR NAND), however OCZ will go to market with 25nm Intel NAND when the drive is ready.

Well there's jack all stock of SF1200 drives anywhere, I got one of the last few that seem to be in the country coming in the mail in the next couple of days. It's going in an Aluminum MacBook, I'll let you guys know how I go with it over time and whether there is performance degradation on Macs.