Mac Dude

The SSD Journey - optimal configuration and use

In order to install an SSD on already existing system, you need to reinstall your current OS? I have Googled the topic, but I've not yet seen any explicit 'yes', yet. (Windows 7 - if this helps)

In order to install an SSD on already existing system, you need to reinstall your current OS? I have Googled the topic, but I've not yet seen any explicit 'yes', yet. (Windows 7 - if this helps)

If you are cloneing a disk then you just have to run the WPI and double check that trim is enabled:

Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

I have always done a full reinstall of the OS, but it shouldn't be a requirement as long as trim is enabled.

Hello smackme, and thanks a million for your reply!

I'll purchase one in the lead up to Christmas and work it out during the break - didn't really feel like reinstalling my OS as apart from one smallish problem, it's running very well and is stable.

You've given me cause for much optimism - again, thanks!

something you may want to add that can improve battery up time in laptops with ssd

DIPM (Device Initiated Power Management)

guide on how to enable it in windows 7 here

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/17781...-hipm-dipm.html

or if you want to do it manually with regedit

http://www.overclock.net/t/1311382/how-to-...ws-7-save-power

from what i can find it will have a bigger effect on some ssd than others and allows the ssd itself more control over there power use

performance can apparently be measurably effected but unless there is a firmware bug i dont think it should be noticable

it lowered the idle power use of the 14" 3317u laptop i just installed a plextor 256m5s in from ~14.5w down to ~13w so ~10% less

from the push of the power button this laptop has gone from booting in over 1min with a 500g 5400rpm hdd to ~15sec from the push of the power button to desktop not bad for a $800 lappy with a 1.7ghz-2.6 turbo cpu and a $179 ssd