Necro1337

Seagate SATA drive suddenly not detected

My 320gb seagate barracuda (SATA) has suddenly stopped being detected by bios on my 965p-ds3 motherboard and i get the disk boot error. I have disconnected and reconnected countless times and still doesnt seem to be working although i can hear it whirring away. Although for some reason last night, the drive suddenly worked and i was using it for a couple of hours until a blue screen came up and it restarted, coming back to the same problem.

the best course of action is to assume death is imminent. You need to get whatever data you don't want to lose off the drive asap, then you can worry about whether or not it's really dying.

First of all some details - is this the only drive you have? Have you tried different ports/different controllers on your mobo (if it has them)? Do you have another PC you can hook the drive up to, allowing you to pull data off and test it?

Once you have the data off the drive, assuming you can, try downloading the seagate test tools and run it through to see if there are any problems with the drive itself. As previously mentioned, changing ports/controllers can help isolate the problem, and you may want to change the cable.

I bought a new sata cable, had the same problem. But I did as the store guy told me to and reset via the cmos battery and it worked! HD back in action!

I must also add that i had these problems soon after cleaning all my computers components and putting everything back together, could this have caused the problem?

maybe that firmware issue that was posted not too long ago, what firmware revision is your drive

your drive wont work regardless of which mobo or cable is used.

You can fix it yourself using a guide that someone posted on here under unbricking seagate hdd

or rma it and lose your shit.

Edited by B82R3S

Check your firmware:

From - http://www.payam.com.au/

"Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, ES.2 and DiamondMax 22 hard disks have a known firmware corruption issue where the hard disk will stop being detected or may report an invalid size (e.g 0mb capacity). Most of these hard disks are 500 GB, 750 GB or 1TB in size.

We were the 1st Australian data recover company and the 1st Data Recovery company in the World (with the exception of Seagate's own data recovery service on the USA) able to recover data from this new type of problem since November, 2008 while at the time all other Australian data recovery firms were unable to fix this problem. We have seen hard disks mainly with Firmware versions SD15, DE12 and HP24 printed on the label of the hard disk suffer a sudden failure. In 95% of cases, all of the data can be recovered. In some rare cases, the hard disk may also have a secondary problem internally with the heads. Using Seagate Terminal mode commands, we manually repair the firmware of these hard disks and recover all possible data quickly and without any data loss in most cases. We have recovered over data from over 100 hard disks like this successfully since November 2008 since this problem was 1st discovered. "