Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Analog controller dead spot

Yesterday I bought one of those Dual Shock clones in order to play some racing games.

I just installed the driver, which basically just enabled the lame vibration (not a patch on Sony's); there was a default driver which covered everything except that.

Had a squiz at the calibration tab, and it's absolutely awful. The middle third of each stick's movement is all dead spot, and in addition, the values max out well before the sticks reach the edge of their travel.

That's not analog, that's fucken rubbery digital. Utterly useless.

I tried to uninstall the driver to see if the original one was any better, but it stubbornly keeps returning; Windows won't make with the original driver anymore, even when I do the 'select from list' thing...

I seem to recall the same deal when I tried this a couple of years ago; all these cheap Dual Shock clones are apparently rendered useless by their drivers...

So, surely somebody out there has written a driver for this ubiquitous type of controller that actually allows you to genuinely calibrate the fucking thing?

Hmm... about all I could find in terms of gamepad drivers that promise a configurable dead spot is this: http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html

NFI how to or whether I can make it work with a generic gamepad...

There's also this... http://forums.xbox-scene.com/lofiversion/i...hp/t683819.html

But fuck that noise. Where the hell is a proper driver for generic gamepads, dammit?

The driver is fine... the cheaparse clone sticks use crappy 20 cent potentiometers instead of half decent ones.

I had the a similar problem with mine, not to mention that the gamepad itself broke about 4 times and I had to pull apart and glue it together.

In the end, I just spent $20 on a PS1/2 -> USB adaptor. Infinitely better. These days you pick up old PS1/2 controllers for next to nothing, so in effect you're paying $25 or so for a great solution rather than $15 on those cheap/nasty pieces of shit that last 10 minutes.

I don't think stick manufacturers know what 'decent' means anymore, frankly. Even the Sidewinder Pro I had was utter garbage - and very expensive garbage at that.

I got a cheap game pad over Christmas and it lasted about 4 months before the triggers no longer worked. I decided just to but one of those Microsoft xbox pc controllers, way better that the rubbish cheap one.

the cheaparse clone sticks use crappy 20 cent potentiometers instead of half decent ones.

I was sceptical, so I checked with a multimeter and that is in fact the case.

The massive central dead spot and huge end zones resulting in fuck-all modulation is down to the pots, not the driver.

Bummer I can't find my genuine Dual Shock to pinch the pots... if they're the same value.

But...

The driver is fine...

No, it's not.

Calibration tab is still way too basic.

Also, how the hell do I fuck off this shitty driver and get the default one back?

Edited by Kimmo

Yeah, I bought a clone of an Xbox 360 controller and it sucked, pay for the real deal or suffer, basically. Its a shame I know, but the price really does show the quality when it comes to dual analog gamepads.

Kimmo - Add/Remove Hardware maybe?

Edited by nukejockey

Nope, it's in the installed driver database (or whatever it's called) now, and comes up automatically despite my best efforts.

It's Add Hardware. Not Add/Remove Programs...

Something has to be edited in the registry if you prefer to get rid of it manually.

I had to do it myself once. USB by the way?

Edited by Blue Fire

Maybe hit the Jaycar website... you might get lucky and they could have trimpots of the same shape and range.

Add a +1 to the old Thrustmaster steering wheel. Paid $50 for an otherwise great controller, let down by a shitty pot in the wheel that jumped all over the place.

You just have to wonder... the difference between crap and great for such a component is maybe $2.50 at most.

i hate to break it to you, but cheap stuff is usually bad.

if you want quality, get a proper xbox or PS3 controller, or at least get a decent quality logitech one. if you want to be stingy, by all means get a cheap knock-off one but you cant be too surprised when you get the symptoms you describe.

Meh. Most cheap electronic stuff serves me perfectly well.

Yum cha DVD player > Sony DVD player

Self-built PC > name brand shit

Almost any MP3 player > fucken iTunes gheyness

...Except in this case we require a bit of non-digital precision. Luckily I found my Dual Shock.

Cheap shit stick - x: 9.64kΩ y: 10.37kΩ

Sony stick - x: 9.20kΩ y: 9.26kΩ

I guess they're meant to be a nominal 10kΩ... forgot to test the left stick, but anyway... booyah. Problem sorted; dead spots banished.

Posted Image

The Sony sticks use metal instead of plastic. Happily, the pin pattern is identical. Easy swap, except for desoldering of course...

While I was at it, I pinched the nicer and much quieter Sony rumble motors too.

Rather pleased with myself : )

USB by the way?

I think there may be a header for a gameport on my mobo, but as far as I'm concerned it's a thing of the past, since both my Sidewinder 3D Pros refuse to work anymore Edited by Kimmo

Yeah, seems to have turned out pretty well, looking at the calibration tab (although there's an ugly lump of rubber band and Blu-Tack holding the small motor in place, since the original ones only have different-sized weights).

Haven't got any games installed that can really use it right now, though... I don't fancy trying it with a FPS...

Anyone know if there's a PS1 emulator that can do say, 1024x768 4xAA on a 3GHz Core2 with 3.5GB and an 8400GS without shitting itself?

Gran Turismo 1 beckons.

Never mind, after playing around with the settings for ages it's apparent one of em throws my machine out of whack, but it's way more than capable...

Edited by Kimmo

Your machine specs mean any PS1 emulation should be an utter piece of piss.

I've got VGS, which isn't by any means the best solution, but needs next to no configuration and is compatible with quite a lot. Only does shitty 8-bit sound for some rediculous reason.

ePSXe is another good solution... IIRC it's best used with an addon launcher.

No idea actually if any PS1 emulators bother to provide vibe support. Regardless, I find the vibration function to be mostly an annoyance anyway.

ePSXe apparently supports it.

It's occasionally well-implemented... needs to be subtle, and the cheap and noisy motors I piffed off would've ruined it...