Sign in to follow this  
anon.irisX

Of the N900 and Australia

Okay, so here's the thing: any of you who have heard about Nokia's N900 will know it's a big deal--smashing looks, 32GB of storage, intuitive interface, Linux blah blah blah.

HOWEVER, there seems to be a little problem in that the amazingness has been announced as a "limited release" with only ten countries on Nokia's official list. It's rare that a phone would be excluded from a proper international market--and even rarer that Nokia would exclude their next big thing from, well, us; but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure whether or not it will be getting an Australian release? I'm dying for this thing and can't find any definite information swinging either way (not even an Optus manager could help).

Anyone know anything special??

I was on another forum I found the other day, and there seems to be a high demand for this in Aus.

I've emailed Nokia asking if it will be release here. Just checked my emails now:

Thank you very much for your interest in our Nokia Phones.

Please be advised that we do not have the release date for the Nokia N900 at this point in time. Kindly note that the release of phones depends on the network operators as testing procedures vary from market to market.

Additionally, information pertaining to the Nokia N900 will be regularly updated on the Nokia Australia website, please log on to the following link: www.nokia.com.au

Alternatively, we recommend that you check availability with a Nokia Authorised Dealer. For location details of a Nokia retail store convenient to you, please log on to the following link: <http://www.nokia-asia.com/nokia/0,,28293,00.html>

Thank you for emailing Nokia Careline!

Do you know you can now update your phone software at your own convenience?

Visit www.nokia.com.au/support to check if your phone model is supported and download the "Nokia Software Updater".

Kind regards,

My phone is fucked at the moment, and I have to take it to Nokia to see what the problem is. I'll probably be going there during lunch time tomorrow, so I will ask them if they know anything about it then.

Long story short: Australia gets shafted. We get these phones late, if at all.

Skip the line, skip the wait, skip the getting ripped off by Telco's and order one unlocked online. It's what I do with all my phones. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it gives me the choice of carrier (and I can change whenever for no fee) and a sweet unbranded phone :)

Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna be doing.

Everyone of my phones have been off eBay, and I'll continue to do it.

Didn't end up taking my phone into Nokia because they are going to charge me just to look at it.

Just bought a temp phone from woolies.

Long story short: Australia gets shafted. We get these phones late, if at all.

Skip the line, skip the wait, skip the getting ripped off by Telco's and order one unlocked online. It's what I do with all my phones. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it gives me the choice of carrier (and I can change whenever for no fee) and a sweet unbranded phone :)

Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna be doing.

Everyone of my phones have been off eBay, and I'll continue to do it.

Didn't end up taking my phone into Nokia because they are going to charge me just to look at it.

+1 Exactly what i do for all my phones. Mostly.....

I actually prefer to avoid eBay if I can, and order from places like Clove.co.uk

Wicked prices, great service, and the backing of a company should I need any support :)

Who is on the official list?

Nokia lists on maemo.nokia.com

* Finland

* France

* Germany

* Italy

* Netherlands

* Poland

* Spain

* Sweden

* United Kingdom

* USA

the countries that can be pre ordered from. The Wikipedia page also lists these countries, as well as the ability to buy in Canada from "independent retailers".

I was on another forum I found the other day, and there seems to be a high demand for this in Aus.

I've emailed Nokia asking if it will be release here. Just checked my emails now:

Thank you very much for your interest in our Nokia Phones.

Please be advised that we do not have the release date for the Nokia N900 at this point in time. [etc]

There IS a big demand for it here... us Atomicans should start a petition! :D

According to Nokia the release date has always been "October", and now according to an article on Maemo-freak Nokia N900 Delayed Until Late October, it'll be just in October.

Not like that'll matter for us if we do get it especially late.

Buying from overseas could be a problem though -- just checked out the specifications on GSMarena and compared the frequency bands to the ones on Wikipedia for different countries -- and it only mentioned Australia with GSM 900 and 1800MHz ranges, which are 2G. Of course, a crazy cool mini tablet is pretty much dead in the water without HSDPA... and the phone supports 1700 / 2100 / 900MHz for HSDPA. Hopefully though I'm just wrong, misinformed, upside down and ultimately my lack of knowledge concerning cellular frequencies is showing like pink panties in a crowded park on a windy day(?) :)

It covers our frequencies, both 2G and 3G from what I remember. Don't panic :)

Only not NextG.

HSDPA is 3.5G. It is an extension of 3G, it uses the same network frequencies. 3G handsets can reach up to 384Kbit/sec

There are two HSDPA networks in Australia. Telstra run off the UMTS850MHz and this is HSDPA enable, they label their network NextG, since they believe its Next Generation.

Optus, Vodafone, Three (and Telstra too, as Three and Telstra co-owen the 2100 Network) run off UMTS2100MHZ and this is also HSDPA enable, they just label it HSDPA.

Note, Telstra claim their network is faster, since it is capable of 14.4Mb/sec. However there aren't any 14.4Mb/sec devices, their current handsets (only the V6 V3xx and a few of the ZTEs) and turbocards only reach up to 3.6Mbit/secs.

I'm a little bit confused with all these different frequencies. My wife is quite keen on this phone, and according to Clove, the n900 only supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900. Three uses 2100MHz GSM right? If I've understood the numbers correctly, this means that my wife couldn't use the n900 on Three's network?

I'm a little bit confused with all these different frequencies. My wife is quite keen on this phone, and according to Clove, the n900 only supports GSM 850/900/1800/1900. Three uses 2100MHz GSM right? If I've understood the numbers correctly, this means that my wife couldn't use the n900 on Three's network?

Operating Frequency -

Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz

WCDMA == UMTS == 3G.

3 uses 2100MHz 3G (and roams onto some of Telstra's NextG 850MHz 3G network)

Edited by iain671

Operating Frequency -

Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900

WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz

WCDMA == UMTS == 3G.

3 uses 2100MHz 3G (and roams onto some of Telstra's NextG 850MHz 3G network)

Thanks for the clarification iain671. Does this mean that NextG isn't supported, and therefore in areas where our current phones "roam", we would be without network access completely? Or is that when it uses the GSM 850MHz band, so we'd still be ok?

It looks like a great phone, and providing that it works in Australia, we'll definitely buy one from Clove or similar.

NextG isn't, but 'yes'G and a Vodafone's new 900mhz network will be :)

Hmm. Does anyone know which frequency Three uses when it roams? I'm just trying to work out if I can still receive calls when I'm roaming. I don't care so much if I can't use the 3G services, such as internet or mms.

It's a Quadband GSM phone, Triband HSDPA phone: it'll work 100% here in Australia :)

Great! Thanks for your help and suggesting Clove! If only there was a referral system :)

I'm a very lucky ducky, my wife ordered one for me too :D

Clove rock, haha. I've not ordered mine yet, but once my tax return is processed I will be :)

Clove rock, haha. I've not ordered mine yet, but once my tax return is processed I will be :)

Have you still got your Diamond Girvo? ( did you have one? )

Think I'll be doing the same thing.

Thanks dude.

IT DOESN'T DO MMS!

Isn't that a fail in the realm of smartphone's?

Vodafone switched their 900MHz 3G network across regional Australia on 31/8 and expanded their 2100MHz network.

The iPhone 3GS handles speeds up to 7.2Mbps on Telstra NextG.

The 1700MHz band is T-Mobile in the States it looks like AT&T and Telstra miss out.