Sign in to follow this  
anon.irisX

Of the N900 and Australia

Vodafone is also rolling out a UMTS900 network although you'd describe their progress as steady rather than speedy.

Vodafone's rollout was completed in August this year. Still no word on Australian release of the N900, but I believe my staff were shown a prototype earlier this month when I was on holidays.

Just read the GSMArena review.

They were impressed, and I can see the potential. But there's a dealbreaker:

No MMS.

Until this gets fixed, no thanks. If it and other little niggles get fixed - bring it on!

It will be, by Q1 next year. :)

Any source for this? Everything I have read tends to indicate no planned release in Aus???

so i ordered one through Amazon / priceusa. Just have to play the waiting game now...

Yeah, no release intended for Aus. It's official.

I'm gonna wait and see what some aussie's impressions are of the device first before I purchase one.

I'm still really looking forward to this phone.

I had a look at some Android phones and they don't really look too inviting.

Wow that Clove site keeps pushing back and back on the release of this fucking phone. I can't believe how long it is taking Nokia to release this cunt!

First Sim-Free stock due end of January 2010

*Woop double post. Was expecting it to add onto my last post.*

Edited by bushi

Well, I've just put my order in for one of these suckers.

Bought it directly from a US site (rather than going through PriceUSA). In total cost me $712.

I've been reading good things from a lot of aussie users, so I might as well go for it now.

Will keep you posted when I receive it.

"Your item left the United States from ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) at 12:55 PM on January 9, 2010."

Not long now!

Some information that I got out of my rep (you can take this as fact basically).

Qualcomm are currently working with Nokia to produce an Australian version of the N900, without the 1700mhz band, he said a tri-band UMTS/HSDPA chip still, so I'm thinking that we may yet see it with 850mhz UMTS: Bigpond style.

Either way, Australia is apparently seeing a proper release.

Also, the Palm Pre is coming to Telstra, just FYI.

Fucking hurry up cunt! So close!

"

Your item arrived at the delivery Post Office in AUSTRALIA at 5:49 AM on January 13, 2010. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

"

Oops spoke too soon.. My neighbour gave me an Auspost slip. Stupid mailman gave it to him by mistake.

It's here WAHOO!!! Now I gotta wait for this sucka to charge!!! :D :D

Edited by bushi

Just ordered my N900 from hong kong. $650 landed. Now I need to sell all my other phones to pay it back :(

Anyone know where the best place is to get apps?

Just ordered my N900 from hong kong. $650 landed. Now I need to sell all my other phones to pay it back :(

Anyone know where the best place is to get apps?

Maemo.org repositories. Just add them to the application manager on your phone, then all 'apps' become available.

I hear the N900 is dropping in Australia this month?

I looked on the Nokia AU site and it's on the front page, saying "Stay informed when the N900 becomes available"...

Anybody have more info on this?

Nah haven't bothered with MMS - I never use it.

What I can't understand is why the fuck it has taken so long for it to be release here.

from what I heard, it's only coming out through optus on plans for now. But you can buy it outright from a few different places early next month.

To be honest, I don't think it's been rushed through cos there's not a lot of general public interest. It's a phone for the geeks (like us). Don't get me wrong, I really like it and it does a lot of things very well, but I can understand why nokia would want to keep pushing phones like the N97/N97 mini as their "flagship" phone....as buggy as they are, they behave more like what most people would expect a phone to. As opposed to the N900 which is more of an Internet tablet that happens to be able to make calls.

I've already found my fair share of discrepancies that any normal person would never be able to get their head around so would be sending their phone off to the service center constantly, or calling nokia asking them to step them through stuff.

That's okay, I have an N95 8gb on an Optus plan already, I just wanna upgrade to the N900.

I was gonna up to the N97, but then I saw the N900 not long after I heard about the N97 and I wanted to wait for that instead.

Yeah fuck the N97.

I'm currently trying to get a dos emulator working on my n900 so I can play some old school games. How's that for fucking cool?

There's a PSX emulator which is still being tweeked.

It can run some games pretty well.

I've got THPS2 running, it's only a little bit laggy. But it makes it a little difficult.

Edited by bushi

Been using my N900 for almost a week now. Awesome phone.

I thought there'd be a lot of bugs and stuff but apart from some scary problems I had on the first day, which reflash fixed, it's been gravy.

With other high end phones, I've always found little annoyances that I've had to live with. But I have to say, the bugs I've found with the N900 have been nothing too bad at all. And the next update which is imminent is supposed to fix a lot of stuff.

The annoyances I've come across so far are:

- txt/IMs don't get marked as unread

- holding down a key doesn't type in it's alternate symbol (it just repeats the letter til you let go)

- no way to "mark all emails as read". This would really piss me off normally, but at least there's no # unread emails displayed on the homescreen anywhere so it's not in your face.

But what I really like is that the UI just feels solid. It's consistent (for me) and reliable.

Plus there's cool things you can do. I'm gonna overclock mine soon. And last night I just installed my first emulator so I can play all those old lucas arts point and click games (sam & max, monkey island etc). You can also dump media files on it, and it'll play without having to convert.

The way it handles contacts is great, especially linking in chat accounts.

I thought this would be a phone for the geeks only, but contrary to that, my brother (who is tech retarded) is using one as well and loving it.