Sign in to follow this  
anon.irisX

Of the N900 and Australia

Sooo excited about the N900 - c'mon Vodafone, pick it up already!! I don't wanna shell out ~$700 in one hit just to get the phone I want!

... hrm... just checked eBay. Seems there are plenty of sellers getting in on the game - $600 from some places. Hrm... if I can offset the cost of the phone by selling the one I'd get when I renew my plan...

... hrm... just checked eBay. Seems there are plenty of sellers getting in on the game - $600 from some places. Hrm... if I can offset the cost of the phone by selling the one I'd get when I renew my plan...

thats what I did ;)

got an N97 and sold it 2 months later. I somehow scratched the screen on the first day so I took a $100 loss on what I would end up paying for it. My bro got an iphone and sold it straight away and got $750 for it which covered his N900 nicely.

Ended up getting mine off ebay for $650 delivered (incl car charger and screen protector). Took 2 days to get here.

-- posting this from my N900 :D

thats what I did ;)

Frikin' sweet bru.

My contract is up in June (IIRC), so I have to wait a few months - if I can get the phone actually *with* the plan I'd probably do that, but otherwise I'm sure there'll be something desirable I can offload to finance my geekery.

^_^ happy daiz!

Anyone with this phone got MMS setup?

Was just reading a review, I saw someone replied saying they dont use it...

But apparently the N900 does not support MMS at all. Not picture or voice.

Edited by the_13th

Anyone with this phone got MMS setup?

Was just reading a review, I saw someone replied saying they dont use it...

But apparently the N900 does not support MMS at all. Not picture or voice.

correct, it doesn't. But people have been using an app called fmms, which I have, but I can only seem to receive picture messages, not send them.

Well, the N900 has hit Australia.

You can get it with Optus (good thing I'm with Optus), not sure about other carriers.

Gonna go upgrade my plan with an N900 either tomorrow or Monday. :D

congrats! Hope it brings out the "atomican" in you with all the mods and overclocking and tweaks you can do with it ;)

Justo, know any apps worth getting? Or any good links where to grab them?

I only want the best quality, worthwhile apps.

Are there MMS apps that work with both sending and receiving yet?

http://maemo.org/downloads/Maemo5/

Use these for downloading from the App Manager:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras

There's a warning on this one, but I haven't gotten into any trouble with it (along with pretty much everyone else who uses it).

http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel

Here's a simple guide:

http://thenokiablog.com/2009/10/27/maemo-e...0-applications/

Edited by bushi

Thanks... I'll be sure to take a look when I get it. :) I can't wait.

Does anyone know if I can 'upgrade' my phone/plan at an Optus store? I can do it online but I need to call them to confirm/update my details according to the message on the site if I try update from there and I can't call 'til Monday during their phone line opening hours.

If I can do it in a store, I'll try tomorrow.

Not sure.

But they sign you up for plans and things in the store. Is it possible to call the local store and see if they can do it?

Maybe they don't give out their individual numbers.

I know of two not far from home... about a 10 minute bike ride.

One is a proper Optus store, and another a few doors down is Telechoice (who, if I recall correctly, are an Optus retailer).

I might just ride down there tomorrow and see.

Edited by Reb1rth.

Justo, know any apps worth getting? Or any good links where to grab them?

I only want the best quality, worthwhile apps.

Are there MMS apps that work with both sending and receiving yet?

The FMMS app seems to work for everyone except me and another guy. We can only seem to receive MMS's but not send them :P

Ovi store is currently getting updated (very slowly) so new apps are coming out. But most of the cool stuff is in App Manager (have to enable the different repositories to find them).

I use Conky for monitoring my overclock speed and BatteryGraph to see when my battery is getting hammered. Angry Birds is the only official game available for sale (you get the free first level, then buy the extra level pack). ScummVM is what Im using as an emulator to play old school PC games. Don't ask me which MSN protocol Im using (it's one of them) but it's handy to have MSN chat integrated into Conversations (mind you, it broke a little in the PR1.2 update). MyPaint is an awesome drawing app (just make sure you search for the thread on Talk.maemo.org and read the instructions explicitly. Knots2 is great for streaming media from your pc (havent tried it in PR1.2 nor the built in media player to see if there are any changes though).

Other than that, I haven't really found many "essential" apps unfortunately. But, I tend to just use the phone for email/chat/websurfing.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=59558...p;postcount=774

This post for overclocking was the easiest to follow for me.

Yes you can update your contract and get a new phone at an Optus store :)

How does OC'ing affect the battery life, and how much faster is it? Is it worthwhile?

I havent noticed any extra battery drain. The reality is, the phone spends most of its time underclocked anyway, so I guess it only drains quickly when you're pushing it hard constantly like when installing app after app (although it drains just as fast when stock clocked). To me, running between 250-850MHz, the difference is slight, but it's there. But then, that's how I feel about overclocking anything, it's not really for the performance gain, it's just the atomican thing to do ;)

Don't ask me which MSN protocol Im using (it's one of them) but it's handy to have MSN chat integrated into Conversations (mind you, it broke a little in the PR1.2 update).

I'm using the Pecan plugin and it broke with PR1.2, can no longer see contacts in the New IM window, have to go through Contacts. There was an update that landed for Pecan yesterday but still the same result. Might uninstall/reinstall, see how that goes.

I want the $99 Timeless cap from Optus.

1.5gb internet, unlimited calls and sms.

$0 handset fee.

Which really, is all I need.

EDIT: Ordered the phone on above plan... gets delivered Thursday.

Can't wait to play with it, and go looking for interesting apps. :)

Edited by Reb1rth.