tyno

Light Gaming Rig

The fact that the RAM I chose was the cheapest outside of buying 2 seperate 1GB and all the Antec EarthWatts where sold out unfortunately.

I've been trying to find other places I can buy parts but IT Estate has proven to be consistently cheaper than anywhere else I have seen, does anyone have other sites that do delivery with roughly the same or better prices?

The computer would be annoyingly slow with those HDDs.

The reason you get the 640GB drive is not because of the space. It's because of the speed.

What kind of speeds should I be looking for in a HDD, the 7000+rpm?

What kind of speeds should I be looking for in a HDD, the 7000+rpm?

the one tantryl recommended is what you should be buying.

also this would be a good setup

-e8500/q6600 (depending on how you roll)

-cm690 case

-corsair vx450psu

-HD4850 (cheapest one)

-WD 640gb hdd

-gigabyte ep45 ds3

-4gb generic 800mhz ram

-pioneer dvdrw drive

-noctua u9b cooler http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=6586

-whatever else you need

1st Setup

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L ~ $110

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3Ghz/45nm/1333FSB/6M) ~ $179

GPU: Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB PCI-e ~ $143

RAM: Kingston DDR2 2GB Kit 800Mhz ~ $60

HDD: Samsung 160GB SATA ~ $43

Optical: Pioneer DVD R/W DVR-216BK Black ~ $36

PSU: Coolmaster eXtreme 650W ~ $99

Case: Coolmaster Elite 330 ~$69

I think this is a good system, after reading a couple of reviews about the 650w coolermaster eXtreme PSU, it's not exacly bad you could do _a lot_ worse and it's really good value for that price, plus it's bundled with the CPU which knocks 26 bucks off that.

Are you sure you want an P43 board?? Wouldn't you prefer the newer/better P45 board?! Like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 for $145..

I think the case is alright too, nothing fancy & a good price.

I'd up the Harddrive (Samsung 1TB (HD103UJ) $153 (3x the price, 7x the size) 640GB Western Digitals arn't available from IT Esate or I'd recommend them.

Graphics card (9800GTX+) from build 2.

How long till you plan to buy this?

You prefer Nvidia over ATI don't you? (Watch what you say about ATI though, Nesquick & Ecky may attack you:)

The P43 is actually slightly newer. The advantages of the P45 are the ability to have crossfire (irrelevant in this build) and the ability to officially support a higher FSB & RAM (but unofficially and while overclocking being virtually identical).

There isn't much benefit out of the P45. If you want crossfire you should be upping it to an X48 or X58 (out yet?) board.

Technically they were released at the same time, the P43 being the lower binned version of the P45.. Thus effecting overclocking performance.

Not a huge benefit although, I'd prefer the superior board..

If you like. I'd say you'd be better off spending the extra $35 on a CPU with a better multiplier if both stock performance and overclocking was your concern.

Goonit you would really only notice a difference under extreme overclocking like the LN kind where people tend to only buy the best of the best anyway.

You wouldn't need to be an extreme overclocker to say have trouble hitting 420 FSB with a P43 vs easily hitting 500 with a P45. Not exactly extreme Nessy.

No, you're wrong.

Where's your evidence! :)

sajohnson2 2 got their E8400 to 4GHz (which is likely where the CPU crapped out, not the board), which means at least 444MHz FSB.

Here's a comparison between a P43 and P45 boards from Asrock, a budget brand not known for great overclock tweaking. 507MHz vs 512MHz max FSB.

onlycorded claims they got 515MHz FSB on the EP43-DS3L.

Now, your proof that the P43 boards don't usually go past 420MHz?

Heh, yeah that'll do :P People will say anything though, won't they :P Can't beleive a bunch of dudes on a forum.

As a general rule though, the P45 would be more stable. Looking around it seems the P45 also has better power efficiency etc as well.

It's up to tyno, I was just pointing it out and asking him if he really wanted the P43, when the P45 is superior. If only slighty.

*runs off to get proof!!*

Keep in mind these are generally trusted review sites, not random forum members :P

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5qle/8.htm

Was unstable at 420 couldn’t get higher, regardless of volts. With a Q9450!

http://www.insidehw.com/Reviews/Motherboar...L-E/Page-2.html

Another “review” that says you won’t reach maximum overclock from a P43.

There are so many variables here, as a general rule the P45 which is the p43 big brother is better, for reason no only including memory/cpu overclocking, but also support due to being a slightly more expensive/more marketable product due to having more selling points.

Nessy:Tantyl already pointed that link out. Asrock boards? Lol, I've already read that review, thanks for the insight.

1 - The second link simply makes a statement about overclocking, at no point did they test it. And that review is worse than most forum member reviews :P

2 - The first link proves that one Asus P5QLE can't get over 420MHz with a quad core. Remember, FSB limits are different for quad and dual.

3 - You lol away the Asrock board because you have no argument against it.

You're wrong.

Lol away you!

I'm so not wrong, as a general rule the P45 will work better when overclock. Take gigabytes here;

P43 has 4 power phases.

p45 has 8.

Power phase switching while overclocking, provides ultra stable, ultra smooth overclocking performance.

I know which one I'd prefer. Even if the things "seem" identical. I'd get the better one eheh.

Of course it'll generally work better, that wasn't the argument.

The argument was that you'd be better off spending the extra $35 on a better CPU, because with the better CPU it's likely the overclock will be better. Or possibly that the P43 can't manage more than 420MHz when the P45 can manage over 500MHz.

I know I'd always go with the better CPU.

I'm not really fussed about the video card I get as long as I can at least play Crysis on low and the few other games I mentioned at the start which don't require much at all. The P45 is nice and all but I don't intend to use crossfire now or soon in the future, so the P43 was fine for me. I recognise that it's not the absolute best thing I could buy but should I pay for features that I am not using anyway? It will be roughly 4 weeks before I place an order anyway so theres not a mad rush to choose parts now. I know I may not be able to get the highest overclocking possible with the P43 but it the Dual Core 2 3Ghz is more than enough to run what I want with some to spare so overclocking is just to get the maximum out of the CPU I choose to buy. If I was really worried I would buy a bit extra and get a CPU with faster stock speed than the E8400 or Q6600.

Edit: As tantryl said I'd rather get a faster CPU than the better motherboard.

Edit: I thought for lols I would tell you my current PC's stats and why I want an upgrade.

CPU: AMD Sempron Stock 1.49Ghz OC to 1.79Ghz (Absolute limit I could do.)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP

HDD: Maxtor 80GB (Used to be a 9GB got upgraded.)

Optical: Sony CD Read only (Can't write CD's or read DVD's lol.)

Optical: Floppy Disk Drive (Had so much dust in it that it was coming out.)

Network: Gigabyte GN-WPEAG Wireless (Gonna put into new PC.)

Sound: CMI8738/C3DX PCI (Upon reformatting I lost my driver for the Mobo onboard.)

Mobo: KM400

Screen: Samsung 17"

You're not buying for 4 weeks?

Ask again in 4 weeks, there's a new Intel platform coming out before then, might change the landscape significantly.

This new technology coming out would be a reason to wait because prices of parts will drop? If they did drop would I be able to afford it and how much better would my system be because of waiting?

My tests will finally be over and HSC finished in 4 weeks from now so that why I am ordering it since I have a break for a bit with not much else to do and having waited over 6 months till this date to upgrade and its killing me having the worst computer in the house since there is 8 in my house (either always used or work only).

Edit: After doing some quick reading, you want me to wait for Intel's new chips to be released? Well if that takes till christmas before being a viable option for someone like me, shouldn't I just get a decent case, PSU, graphics card, HDD and peripherals then be skimpy on RAM, Mobo and CPU, then save for a Larrabee or whatever its going to be called?