tyno

Light Gaming Rig

Prices won't drop.

Prices never drop with a new architecture coming out. They just wait until stocks are low before introducing the new architecture, which they usually bring out at a higher price than the older stuff.

I don't have a crystal ball. What I'm saying is to ask again when you're going to buy, because anything we tell you now will be pure theory. I don't know if the i7 architecture WILL change anything, I don't know if it'll be out, I don't know how it'll be priced, I don't know whether there'll be any good mainboards and if the price of DDR3 and blah blah blah. I said "might" in that first statement for a reason.

Ask in the days leading up to your purchase because we don't have the answers right now.

Nordichardware predicted that nehalem is only really designed to target the server market where barcelona has up until now (maybe) been able to be the dominant chip.

What I can tell you is that I'll be buying in late November between the 22nd and the end of the month to be precise or as much as I can be. I'm not too worried about the new tech just wanted to know if there was anything big I was missing out on that someone else might know. I guess I'll wait for a few more weeks then won't I, this thread was more to get info since I was clueless when it came to anything to do with computers outside of playing games on them. Using my holidays to get some research done so I could make it easier to purchase the right system for me a bit later on before buying seems like a good idea and I have learnt a lot about computer parts that I never used to know thanks to you fellow Atomicans. I will go back to school study so I won't check back too often from now till I feel I have done enough study. Thanks for the help so far and any help yet to come.

You prefer Nvidia over ATI don't you? (Watch what you say about ATI though, Nesquick & Ecky may attack you:)

I think you've got me confused with someone else, chief.

I think you probably have nesquick confused with someone else, too. I haven't really seen anyone get over-the-top defensive of ATI cards. They're the main recommendatio nat the moment because they're excellent bang-for-buck. There's a lot of people who keep saying that the ATI drivers are oh-so-terrible, but not many people seem to be echoing that sentiment, and my gut feeling is that the ones who are, aren't people using ATI cards at the moment.

You're doing a really good job of rubbing people the wrong way. You're not earning yourself a very good reputation. Rubbing people the wrong way is okay when you kno wwhat you're talking about, and you can convincingly back up your claims, which you're failing at. You may want to take a backseat for a while, and/or take a more conversive approach to expressing your thoughts, rather than an arrogant all-knowing-but-not-really approach.

I enjoy posting in here, learning new things all the time :) I haven't said what I say is set in stone. If i'm prove wrong about my thoughts and opinions, I'll be the first to admit that mate. Both you and nessy had an unprovoked sledge at me in this thread. Which I had no participation in. </3

Don't get me wrong I never wished to come across as rude or arrogant.

I am having fun wasting a bit of time here, while I've got nothing to do at work.

I like it here!

*stretches arms out*

How about next time praise what you're saying in a nicer fashion so I don't take it as an insult.

After all, I'm a new member here.

New members don't get preferential treatment also what eckythump said is right we will get mad with people who come into building and try and tell others who want correct advice on latest parts wrong information so say what you want about me i am thick skinned and don't take much notice of users who cannot accept they may be wrong.

Turns out that I'll actually be finished my tests by early November so see you in 3 weeks not 4. Less procrastinating more studying.

You sily billy nessy, I will and have in the past accepted when I was wrong, it's no problem for me. I'm not arrogant at all.

But; that's not to say I don't and won't enjoy a good discussion :P

Sorry for destroying your thread tyno!

It's hardly destroyed, its just more interesting now :) Well today out of boredom I OC'd my brothers CPU from a 1.6Ghz Dual Core to a 1.92 (I think it was) and it is stable so I am pleased and I am sure he'll enjoy that bit of extra power.

I am still confused about how waiting will benefit me or change what I will buy since it is only like 3 weeks away. A new Intel platform thats worth waiting for that will affect me? So I should sit tight and see what happens, the only reason I would wait is if it means that half my system will be outdated pretty much as soon as I buy it, but with software being made to take advantage of multi cores its not like I'm going to be affected any time soon but if you can tell me otherwise I'd be happy to listen just a little hesitant.

We don't know.

There's no hard release date on any of the i7 stuff yet.

Ask again when you're going to buy.

I said might change. One more time. Things might change.

I would imagine considering the potential for dramatic price hikes on the nehalem chips that even just an oc'd q6600/e8500 would still be good cpus for a new build in a months time as you are going to have to deal with the extra premium of ddr3 and new mobo sockets to utilise nehalem.

Revised date for ordering parts: 11 Oct (Aka Saturday).

I have been thinking about the new AMD and Intel tech being released but I doubt it's going to have a massive effect immediately for a home user, or at least I hope. I don't really intend to be buying the new technology when it is released since it does come with a cost thats too high for me. I'm doing a fair bit of guess work here but with only a handful of programs actually made to fully take advantage of dual and quadcore processors it will be a while before anything is out to use the even newer i7 stuff. I figure a computer made now would be better than waiting apart from the fact I get to use something that can play the games I have stacked up that my dad bought but never plays and then I'll actually be able to have my settings above the bar minimum as I have had them, even CoD1 my fps would be under 20 in fights making it not a fun thing to play online.

One of the problems I have now is choosing RAM as the only DDR3 I would've bought is sold out and not to be restocked and also at PC Maniacs so I have to buy DDR2 but as it turns out all the 1066Mhz stuff is sold out unless I want a single slot only. Should I buy the 2GB 1066Mhz or the 2x1GB at 800Mhz?

If you're getting the Q6600 the DDR2-800 is fine, if you're getting an E8x00 and overclocking you'll want to get the DDR2-1066.

Dual channel makes bugger all difference to the Core 2 architecture.

I don't think that a new platform was due till December or early next year to be released, but still its not too far away. I'm still not sure why you say the 7200rpm 160GB HDD's where too slow and that they would cause slow loading times, how exactly is the 640GB WD so much better?

With the Core 2 how is the dual channel RAM making such a little difference compared to if you did have it, from my understanding it would be the large cache they have but I'm not exactly sure?

DDR3 which is currently available can run in the new boards right, but the new boards have triple slot to use so would buying some DDR3 be worth doing to save me from upgrading RAM with everything else or should I use some cheap DDR2 and just sit tight?

Last few things I'll need to know before going ahead with buying a new computer, any input or advice would be appreciated, cheers in advanced.

Its all to do with:

-cache

-seek times

-write times

-platter density

and some other things but not just spin speed.

Ask again in 4 weeks, there's a new Intel platform coming out before then

Source?

(sorry for the hijack, just really really interested -_-)

I apologise, should have said "rumoured to be coming out before then".

Thats one thing I had noticed, the bigger caches in the larger drives and the faster write+read times in general, but with everything I own from movies to music and games I could not fully use such a large drive unless I was using my computer as a media center. I would consider doing that but I still have cost as a factor in buying parts and if I have to upgrade sooner rather than later with the new boards saving money could help.

I would like to know how great a difference speeds would be in I had a 160GB or smaller drive vs a larger 640GB, I've never really considered my hard drive to be lacking speed but I don't want it to bottleneck my new PC by having to wait 10minutes for a level to load instead of the 5 it could take. I'll look around the net for some answers as usual but your wisdom would help as well.

Edit:

WD 640GB seems to be the best HDD out at the moment according to a few tech forums, reviews and comparisons so guess I'll jump from my current 80GB to a 640GB.

After getting annoyed with all the hype on the i7 being introduced and apparently able to kick my theoretical computers butt when it comes to performance I don't feel like waiting another 4 months for the price, where I estimated, should be a it more mainstream. The fact I don't even have a single core above 2Ghz at the moment and unable to play ANY of the current games and even some of my old ones I am upset. As tantryl was saying i7 is coming kind of like calling doomsday of sorts for me I decided to google: i7 release date. Turns it could possibly be released in November but even then out of my range, I have decided to think hard about this, would a Q6600 and 2GB RAM be up to scratch the latest software which is my biggest concern. If I lasted this long on my current setup I'm sure that if my newer system was outdated I could last since it has more power than I could even use (Same could be said that if I waited this long surely a bit longer won't matter). But I will have finished my HSC and currently have plenty of games to play and no other commitments so I can get the most out of it from 2008 December - 2010 at most.

I've said over and over and over again that the i7's release might change our recommendations. I can't believe I actually have to say this, but the word might implies that there are two options. One is that it will change our recommendations, the other is that it won't change our recommendations. The word might gives preference to neither option.

Now, I noticed a few points earlier that you're ordering tomorrow, is that still so?

In which case I'd suggest that yes, you order what was put together earlier in the thread. In this case, based on a purchase date of tomorrow, the word might turns out to mean doesn't.

Yeah I'm happy buying now and will make sure I've gotten everything right before I start ordering I'll post one of the final revisions of the system and get some final opinions then I'll have a new PC.

just set yourself a really tight budget for now on parts that will need to be replaced ie: spend $300 on e8400, gigabyte g31 mobo and 2gb stick of ram and then you can still buy all your drives, case, psu ect then when nehalem comes out you can upgrade and have the basis of a decent lan rig.

Sounds like a good idea nesquick. Should save some me some money for future upgrades, 1 Q though the graphics cards will be supported by the new mobo's won't they?

Setup

Motherboard: $109 Intel S775 Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3

CPU: $219 Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz/45nm/1333FSB/6M) LGA775

RAM: $65 2GB Kit (2x1024MB) PC8500 1066MHz Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/2GN 5-5-5-15

Video Card: $217 (ATI) PCI-e 4850 512MB XpertVision Sonic (685/2000MHz)

HDD: $96 Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640Gb 16Mb SATA II

PSU: $89 Antec ATX EarthWatts 500W

Case: $110 Midi ATX Case Coolermaster Centurion RC-690KWN (see through) no PSU Black

Total Setup Cost: $905

Extras

Monitor: $231 LG W2242T-BF 22 inch LCD

Keyboard: $99 Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: $69 Razer Copperhead Tempest Blue 2000dpi

Total Extras Cost: $399

Total Cost Extras & Setup: $1,304

Delivery

Umart: $40

IT Estate: $36

Total Delivery Cost: $76

Total Setup, Extras & Delivery: $1,380

Well not much different from what I had before, I am fairly happy with that but I am open to criticism of my poor choices or brands chosen but thats what I want to see (or read) before I go spending pretty much everything I have saved ;P

1st Edit: (Extra fans and PSU I may add if I want to get a high overclock but I'll wait till I save up a bit more)

2nd Edit: (Changed supplier, saved $7 and upgraded mouse from a 2000dpi to 4000dpi and got a better monitor)

3rd Edit: (Changed PSU to a 500W Antec Earthwatts)