Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Aki54

360 Fall update.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/07/xbox-das...ilarity-ensues/

A pretty good look at the new update that integrates last.fm, twitter and facebook into the 360. I could give a shit about facebook and twitter I don't use either of them but I like the last.fm hook and it looks pretty slick. If the past has told me anything I'll be trying to get into the beta just because so I'll probably bump this thread with info from that when I do.

Pretty Meh, that radio thing is trash, when you can just stream your own music off your pc. Facebook would be alot easier to use on a PC and Twitter is useless from the Xbox if it doesnt support any Xbox related functionality.

Incorporating Xbox Live and Facebook presents interesting new opportunities.

But hey, let's whinge about something we're getting for nothing, just because it's easier to do on PC, eh?

And what are these opportunities you speak of? You cant do live twitter posts when you get an achievement or anything like that, you cant listen to last.fm while playing a game, I can understand they're trying to turn it into even more of a multimedia console, streaming HD movies is cool, but I dont think we get that in AUS do we?

As for whinging, I'm not, just stating my opinion on this new update, which holds no new benefits for me whatsoever.

Console for Gaming, PC for Browsing.

But hey, Lets point fingers at people and call them whingers, just because they don't think a "Free" update is worth the code its written in, just because we're a 360 fanboy, eh?

Ok live updates on Twitter/Facebook on Achievement Unlocks, when a new game is played, when a game is finished would be cool.

It could also be as annoying as fuck.

Honestly I dont really see the point of it unless your some gumby who has interenet access and no PC but has an Xbox360, I for one CNBF to type a twitter or facebook post using a control pad. And Ill be damned if I am going to go and buy the messenger controller add on.

But thats my 2 cents anway.

Now moving on to something worthwhile..... why if we can stream shit from the PC to the Xbox, why can we not stream Xbox content to the PC?

Alas rip games to your PC's HDD for safe keeping, save game profiles, Demos, XBLA and all themes and memes and crap.

And yes I understand that you can buy the $150+ 120GB HDD but honestly thats like 12 games MAX plus DLC + XBLA + + Demos and you start to get the picture and yes I have sent this request to Micosoft and they said they will take it under advisment.

And what are these opportunities you speak of? You cant do live twitter posts when you get an achievement or anything like that, you cant listen to last.fm while playing a game, I can understand they're trying to turn it into even more of a multimedia console, streaming HD movies is cool, but I dont think we get that in AUS do we?

As for whinging, I'm not, just stating my opinion on this new update, which holds no new benefits for me whatsoever.

Console for Gaming, PC for Browsing.

But hey, Lets point fingers at people and call them whingers, just because they don't think a "Free" update is worth the code its written in, just because we're a 360 fanboy, eh?

Bellend.

The 360 is already a media hub, adding further social networking tools (on top of Xbox Live and MSN Messenger) allows it to increase it's social gaming potential. Organising a party for multiplayer gaming could be streamlined and improved if you can send out a message on social networking as well. Trying to organise a horde session, but noone's online? Send a shout out on Facebook and Twitter, and get people on the box. Just because some functionality isn't in there now, that doesn't preclude the scope and capabilities being extended further in future. Like I said, there is great potential in the integration. You try and tell me that it wouldn't be a great thing to have a one-button feature in party mode to send out a post on twitter and facebook saying 'X is organising a party on Xbox Live - Get your ass online!'

But hey, let's have a big fucking cry because you think the world owes you something. Last time I checked, you are having a whinge. And pulling the fanboy card because someone said 'free stuff is good' is pathetic.

@Cloaked - You can hook up a Usb keyboard if you're so inclined.

Edited by The End

I'm not getting into this.

You're the one that got on the defensive, not me. I never had a "whinge" about anything, I simply stated that its use would be limited for me, and almost pointless, when a PC is more accessible and easier to navigate with.

*EDIT* I see that you've edited.

Yes, I called you a fanboy.

No, I didn't mean it in a derogatory sense.

Hell, I don't even like using that word, just couldnt think of something more appropriate for someone who obviously likes his console.

Forgive me.

Edited by nukejockey

I have sent this request to Micosoft and they said they will take it under advisment.

Aww, that's cute! :)

You can hook up a Usb keyboard if you're so inclined.

Sifn't have the 360 messenger pad!

Posted Image

Edited by SquallStrife

Oh, my bad. Clearly:

Pretty Meh, that radio thing is trash, when you can just stream your own music off your pc. Facebook would be alot easier to use on a PC and Twitter is useless from the Xbox if it doesnt support any Xbox related functionality.

is exactly the same as...

... I simply stated that its use would be limited for me, and almost pointless, when a PC is more accessible and easier to navigate with...

Must be my screwed up brain thinking that you actually meant what you wrote, instead of what you were actually meaning, but didn't write.

There I go, forgetting to look for subtext.

When I wrote 'bellend', I guess I was just looking for a term for someone who is obviously an inarticulate douche.

Forgive me.

Edited by The End

I keep forgetting you can plug a USB keyboard into the 360. I've got 2 or 3 of the bloody things just lying around. I can't speak for twitter or facebook (Though in the video you do hear someone comment something along the lines of "This is better than the standard facebook UI.") but I like the 360 last.fm UI. Just because something is different doesn't mean it's worse. Just a new thing to poke and play with and figure out.

Apparently they implemented twitter integration into Uncharted 2 and people f'ing hated it. Friends of people playing review copies were bombarded with updates from those people regarding every minor in game thing. I do like the idea of it sending out a twitter message when you're trying to gather a group or contact a friend who's offline for a game.

Edit: grammers and punctuations.

Edited by Aki54

...I could give a shit about facebook and twitter I don't use either of them...

Posted Image

Plz, lrn2English

Incorporating Xbox Live and Facebook presents interesting new opportunities.

That was my first thought. FB's already an awesome social networking resource - a full-on alliance with MS could produce great things.

EDIT

Did not know this. When did they add this ability, or has it been there all along? Edited by thesorehead

...I could give a shit about facebook and twitter I don't use either of them...

Posted Image

Plz, lrn2English

Because work is slow and I am bored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom

Thank you, come again.

Fail.

...whereas the literal definition of the idiom, itself, does not communicate its meaning as a figurative usage.

The literal "couldn't care less" communicates the meaning far more clearly than "could care less".

It's just a fucking lazy American phrase that's garnered a world-wide usage. A usage that is, in fact, wrong.

streaming HD movies is cool, but I dont think we get that in AUS do we?

Yes we are.

At a conference a few months back, they demonstrated this. Took less than 5 seconds for The Dark Knight to start streaming on his Xbox 360. He actually asked us to start timing from when he pressed A to when the movie loaded.

Was quite impressed by this.

I wonder if it will be the same times when there's a few hundred Xbox 360s doing it, instead of just him though.

Edited by morris

Well Ill eat my hat, I did not know this. Well now I guess the Facebook/Twitter thing is a better idea now that I know that.

Also when I say I submitted it to Microsoft it was under product/evaluation beta testing earlier this year for MS Game Studios.

So yeah it is cute I guess.

Oh, my bad. Clearly:

is exactly the same as...

... I simply stated that its use would be limited for me, and almost pointless, when a PC is more accessible and easier to navigate with...

Must be my screwed up brain thinking that you actually meant what you wrote, instead of what you were actually meaning, but didn't write.

There I go, forgetting to look for subtext.

When I wrote 'bellend', I guess I was just looking for a term for someone who is obviously an inarticulate douche.

Forgive me.

Still dont see what you're pointing out here, but whatever, guess you need to start fights with other people because index isnt in here as much, enjoy

Here: Meh, that radio thing is trash, when you can just stream your own music off your pc. Facebook would be alot easier to use on a PC = its use would be limited for me, and almost pointless, when a PC is more accessible and easier to navigate with..

As for twitter, it is currently pointless until they add the achievement/what game im playing functionality.

Edited by nukejockey

Well facebook is going to be a pain as will twitter if you are playing a game and pop ups come up on live.

As for the social networking it will be good.

As you will be able to challenge someone for an achievement and it will come up on their phone, and this is microsoft big one up to sony.

Please do not get upset at each other on the forums as I am currently in England and they whinge about everything over here. I must say they also are unbelievable lazy at their jobs.

Anyway next time you feel like ranting think about me over in England and the crap weather and all the ugly English people (personalities more than looks) and think yourselves lucky, I am convinced all the nice Englsih people go and live somewhere else.

pump.

Oh and I wish I had time to play on the net at work.

Haven't used them yet, but I applaud the integration efforts.

I hope they develop an app for some touch-screen mobiles to get some easy text input happening (Zune HD (whilst not a mobile) would be an obvious choice, I suppose).