Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RenascentMisanthropy

Do you absolutely really need an intercooler?

The reason I ask is because mine has suffered a bit of roo damage. It's still intact but a bit bent and the mounts are broken. There was a guard there to protect it, but it hit a roo a couple of years ago and smashed it.

I've just gotten some scrap steel to make another guard for it, but I'm wondering if it would be fine to just pull the intercooler off and put a piece of steel pipe in it's place. I've heard of other people doing this.

I know the idea of the intercooler is to cool the higher pressured air which is compressed by the turbo to keep the oxygen content up. My bro's 98 Rodeo is turbo'd and doesn't have an intercooler from the factory and runs fine.

The stock intercooler on my car is a little pissy one, so I don't think it would have much cooling effect anyway.

What do you's think?

BTW, I have an 03 Mazda bravo 2.5L turbo diesel

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

Also, if you must replace it, try and get the piping as far away from any hot objects, or at least put a heat shroud between everything. If it ends up costing a bit, it may just be easier to get a new intercooler.

Edited by King_Of_The_Mountain

Should be right I spose... of course you might drop some performance/economy and the engine will likely run a bit hotter.

But diesels should be built a good deal tougher at the top end than petrol engines... by default they must put up with significantly higher compression pressures and more heat since they don't get any cooling benefit from the fuel.

My other thought is to encase my current intercooler in a watertight aluminium box (with new mounts) with a couple of 1/2" ID hose barbs on it, hooked up to a 12v pump and computer radiator (positioned appropriately) for an air-water system.

It's prolly no worries on a diesel (not that I'd know, just guessing), but it's not advisable on a petrol engine; detonation could ensue if it's running a lot of boost.

I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Air-water systems only really work well if the water has time to cool down as well so you need lines for that to cool down as well through the engine bay. My dad's car had one and we found out the water pumps weren't working so we fixed them and really couldn't notice the difference anyway.

Edit - Also, does it have a vacuum pump on the engine? Not really familiar with the Bravos

Edited by King_Of_The_Mountain

You'd probably benefit more by attempting to get fresher (non-engine bay) air into the system. Although I'd suspect if they've bothered to put an intercooler in the car, then they've likely located it strategically to get cooler air in the first place.

Maybe see about getting a snorkel? Who gives a shit about .1 second slower to 100 km/h if you suddenly gain the ability to travel through 3 foot deep rivers!

It's a diesel... detonation is the name of the game, ie combustion should be initiated immediately when the fuel's injected.

You'd probably benefit more by attempting to get fresher (non-engine bay) air into the system. Although I'd suspect if they've bothered to put an intercooler in the car, then they've likely located it strategically to get cooler air in the first place.

Maybe see about getting a snorkel? Who gives a shit about .1 second slower to 100 km/h if you suddenly gain the ability to travel through 3 foot deep rivers!

Where it is positioned is right at the front below the rad & condenser. It's prone to any frontal damage, which is why it is damaged (split second roo's mainly).

I don't have a snorkel but have considered it. Once a year I'll traverse threatening waters. Have had water over the bull bar but nothing went into the airbox. I am running a UniFilter which gave it noticeable punch (and induction note) over the OEM paper filters.

Should I add, it's a conventional diesel. It is electronically controlled, but not EFI/common rail.

It's a diesel... detonation is the name of the game, ie combustion should be initiated immediately when the fuel's injected.

Yes, but since it is running so hot fuel left over in the detonation chamber may light up again during the up stroke, even exhaust gases can re-ignite, but since he has a vacuum pump to do the scavenging it should be alright, that's why I asked.

if anything you might get abit more boost from not having a hulking great mass of complex boost-draining tubes in the way.

ok so maybe only 2-3 psi, but it something...

You will not really notice much difference unless you are putting a lot of load on the motor.

I have a 2005 3.0 TD Patrol and we tow a 2.5 ton Caravan, pulling over 5 ton all up (car and van) you need the intercooler because the motor is a small deisel and will run very hot pulling such weights.

Where it is positioned is right at the front below the rad & condenser. It's prone to any frontal damage, which is why it is damaged (split second roo's mainly).

I don't have a snorkel but have considered it. Once a year I'll traverse threatening waters. Have had water over the bull bar but nothing went into the airbox. I am running a UniFilter which gave it noticeable punch (and induction note) over the OEM paper filters.

Should I add, it's a conventional diesel. It is electronically controlled, but not EFI/common rail.

It shoudn't matter too much but best to get it replaced or find a cheap second one from an older vehicle of similar dimensions (the intercooler that is)

One quick note though, if water comes into the intercooler the turbo will suck that shit right up and you will be absolutely fucked, make no bones about. So I wouldn't recommend driving in decent rain and going anywhere near a river until you have it fixed, an intercooler is a hell of a lot cheaper than the costs associated with trying to feed your diesel water/fuel instead of air/fuel.

if water comes into the intercooler the turbo will suck that shit right up and you will be absolutely fucked

Umm, turbo sucks air from airfilter and blows pressurized air through the intercooler and thereafter into the intake manifold. No water is going to get sucked up from the intercooler by the turbo :D

if water comes into the intercooler the turbo will suck that shit right up and you will be absolutely fucked

Umm, turbo sucks air from airfilter and blows pressurized air through the intercooler and thereafter into the intake manifold. No water is going to get sucked up from the intercooler by the turbo :D

What a fucking muppet lol, sorry bud I had the whole system in my head, obviously I wasn't imagining it exactly as it is : D

Intercoolers are about cooler air (colder air compresses better, thus more performance because the turbo can push more air into a smaller space) ANYWHO, if you just have a filter and pipe right to turbo, a good cold air intake will do the job for that car just fine I would imagine