divemasterc

Best Music/Media player?

Not sure if this has been covered before, a quick search says no.

Basically I'm fed up with Windows MP. I am sick of it telling me it cant find codecs, and then not at least telling me what codec is missing!

So, I'm on the lookout for something that is user friendly (My chosen female also has to be able to use it) and still have some decent features (equaliser, graphics maybe? )

And probably most importantly, I want it to be FREEEEEEEE!!! but maybe I can be swayed into letting the Queen out of the sporran yet...

So, what does Atomic say?

Edited by divemasterc

DVDs - Windows Media Player

TV - Windows Media Center

Everything Else - Winamp

I used to:

Video: Media Player Classic

Audio: Winamp

TV: Windows Media Centre

With my Win7 HTPC though:

All*: Windows Media Centre

*Pretty much, although when I mount DVD ISOs they auto-play in Media Player, haven't worked out how to auto-play in Media Centre.

Video: Media Player Classic

Audio: Winamp

Make sure you have a play with the milkdrop plugin that comes with winamp, and you can search for more presets too, some really nice ones out there. ;)

Windows Media Player Classic for all video. iTunes for the musics. I find it hard to beat either of those.

I have VLC set as the default "double-click" player for music and video. When I want to play more than a couple of tracks at a time, put music on an iPod or create an extensive playlist I use Winamp. For vod/podcasts and transferring video to an iPod I use iTunes.

AFAIK iTunes has the best .mp4 video metadata editing. Is there any better out there?

I use:

-Klite pack w/ media player classic for all video other than blueray

-Powerdvd for blueray

-Winamp for music

new frustration.

Winamp looks good and I like the setout, I'm going to have to have a play around, but overall seems ok.

How, (if you can) do you burn MP3's?

Edit: to clarify, I tried burning a disc, but it want to burn it as a CD, not MP3, even though they are MP3 tracks... Some setting I'm missing?

Edited by divemasterc

Yup.

But heck if your just burning files why not use Nero or the built in windows one?

I only use winamp to burn in CD format.

Also, check out the MMD3 skin for winamp.

Media Player Classic for video.

Winamp for audio.

It should be noted that I rarely use either of those. If I'm watching TV/video, I prefer to be in my very comfy reclining lounge chair, looking at the widescreen across the room. Music I just don't do much at all any more.

Get yourself the K-Lite codec pack. Might help with those missing codec errors in Windows Media player.

Winamp for music.

VLC for video as it plays just about anything you can throw at it.

just thought that if you were going to put a burner feature in a programe, Why not make it able to burn the most common/useful to joe blogg audio file around? I liked the way you could setup a playlist and then burn it, but WMP and now winamp do a crap job of it... IMO

Nero it is...

Edited by divemasterc

just thought that if you were going to put a burner feature in a programe, Why not make it able to burn the most common/useful to joe blogg audio file around? I liked the way you could setup a playlist and then burn it, but WMP and now winamp do a crap job of it... IMO

Thats when you get the old version of the software if it worked for you the way you liked it in the past. Oldversion dot com

Nero it is...

Just drag'n'drop your playlist to nero express, no biggie.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=1001403

Edited by Director

Video :- The KMPlayer or VLC

Audio:- Foobar 2000

TV:- Winfast PVR2 (came with the tuner card).

As far as codec packs go I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, the bloody things have given me too much trouble in the past by installing shit versions of some decoders or even multiple versions of a decoder for the same codec. Yes even K-lite has had this problem.

If you need a codec install it, don't use the shotgun approach.

Amarok is the best music player in existance, pity it's for linux though.

On windows I use mediamonkey for music and VLC for everything else.

-X