divemasterc

Best Music/Media player?

Sorry Fuzz, shall engage brain before fingers next time.

@director: Hoookay... well now I know that, and have a better version of nero for a two second google search (why I didnt do this before, Fuck knows...) everything is hunkey dorey...

Took about 3 mins to do ~150+ song disc.... (which on my crappy computer is abso-fucking-lutely amazing)

Very nice!

also now I can tell my WMP where to shove it!

Cheers for the input guys.

edit:spelling/grammar

Edited by divemasterc

I use:

Songbird for all my music.

MusicBrainz to tag it all.

VLC for videos.

and Windows Media Centre for TV.

I have a mate who use Media Player Classic, along with codec packs. He reckons it has better blacks than VLC; I can't see a difference.

Things you didn’t know VLC media player can do

Edited by Barry The Penguin

DVD's - WMP[whatever 7 uses] - better quality over VLC, also toshiba DVD player, but its not free unless you have a toshiba product.

music - foobar2000 - love it, fast does what i want with a minimal of fuss.

AVI's/MKV's - VLC or SMPlayer - had a few probs with VLC and 720+ MKV's, stuttering and such, SMPlayer is backup to VLC.

i dont do TV or radio, so i got nuthin on them.

Sorry Fuzz, shall engage brain before fingers next time.

@director: Hoookay... well now I know that, and have a better version of nero for a two second google search (why I didnt do this before, Fuck knows...) everything is hunkey dorey...

Took about 3 mins to do ~150+ song disc.... (which on my crappy computer is abso-fucking-lutely amazing)

Very nice!

also now I can tell my WMP where to shove it!

Cheers for the input guys.

edit:spelling/grammar

FWIW I just found this: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?postid=1471002

A little dlladdin for winamp call gen_yar that lets you copy your playlist files direct to a folder.

VLC for vid, foobar2000 for audio. I like the bare bones simplicity and low level configurability of both.

I have only had a mac recently and I really miss foobar, especially its conversion ability. Was using Cog for flac playback, but I just started using Songbird, which is pretty good. I hate managing a library but its better than itunes, and supports ipod transfers. It wont convert and transfer flac files to ipod unfortunately.

I just wish there was a music player that would do what 'I' want it to..........rather than taking over everything.

What do you want it to do?

I just wish there was a music player that would do what 'I' want it to..........rather than taking over everything.

I'd like to be able to put it in different sections.

Not playlists.

So, if I want it to shuffle all my metal, or jazz, female singers, or whatever, it will.

Video :- The KMPlayer or VLC

Audio:- Foobar 2000

TV:- Winfast PVR2 (came with the tuner card).

As far as codec packs go I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, the bloody things have given me too much trouble in the past by installing shit versions of some decoders or even multiple versions of a decoder for the same codec. Yes even K-lite has had this problem.

If you need a codec install it, don't use the shotgun approach.

ii have to agree with that part regarding codec packs, been bloody crap in my experience too.

Video - Depends on the file format, but for DVDs, PowerDVD

Audio - Winamp (lite)

TV - Kworld software that came with the uber-expensive (LOL) Kworld card :P

video:

Windows Media Player Classic

VLC for anything difficult

PowerDVD for DVDs

music:

Winamp

VLC for anything difficult

Not playlists.

So, if I want it to shuffle all my metal, or jazz, female singers, or whatever, it will.

yeah....but you can shuffle playlists. and, although ive never had cause to use that media library bloat in Winamp, i am sure its a trivial thing to select things by genre tags and shuffle them.

OR, you can have your music (WAVs etc) in genre sub-folders and just right click to enqueue all the songs for that folder into Winamp, and then play them randomly

PLUS, if you prefer some other folder structure its easy enough to drag shortcuts of appropriate songs into some genre folders for the same reason

Edited by @~thehung

Not playlists.

Winamp's database is searchable by genre - no need to physically move the files around (although The Godfather can do that if you want) so you can shuffle whatever and however you like, provided the metadata is there.

If the metadata isn't there, you'll have to do things manually no matter what software you use. All the more reason to periodically maintain your files' info.

Mac:

VLC/Plex & Itunes

Windows:

VLC & Itunes

Having lots of music makes it a bitch to find and play without some form of library.

EDIT: Slight bumpage soz

Edited by PC FREAK

For music I use foobar2000 with a few addons (columns UI, iPod support, etc.) It has a low memory footprint and great global hotkey functionality; I've never found anything better. I find it's much better for iPod management if you're unlucky enough to be suck with one of the bloody things.

For videos I use Media Player Classic.

You can see my house from yours you big smelly South African! You could have rode your horse over to mine to ask, or just taken the commonwhore.

I may get shot for this but best all round music I ever used is Musicmatch Jukebox, oldversions has all of them.

Unfortunately it won't run happily on 64bit but your Gym Dumpster Beast will run it no sweat.

+1 for Amarok2, for music playlists.

+1 for Kaffeine for vids play lists.

Cheers Glenn

In winxp, mediaplayer classic with K-Lite codec pack.

Edited by GlennsPref

iTunes, in my opinion is EVEN worse then windows media player 10/11, which is a big thing to say. Although ive seen it work perfectly on MAC's my experience with it on a windows system is awful, it just ruhns ridiculously slow and takes all my resources. As far as WMP goes, it looks great (again iTunes just looks like the most boring piece of crap of a HUD, and only goes well with MAC, not windows), and comes free with windows, but is still not my favourite. Personally, i use winamp. It runs so fast its great, has some of the best visualizations ive seen, is free, a small download, great skinning options with a huge skinning community meaning you can find just about any look your after, and supports all the file types. One problem with winamp is the ripping and burning. If you download the free version, you can't rip in mp3, and can't burn above a certain speed (4x i think). Although, if you have windows, your pretty much indefinitely stuck with WMP, so you can just use WMP to do all your ripping and burning instead.