divemasterc

Best Music/Media player?

http://www.aimp2.us/ <----THE BEST

Make sure to check: http://www.aimp2.us/skins.php for all the nice skins too (I'm using the BIF skin) it rocks!

I've tried them all over the years, but this player pwns them all.

Oh yeah, its 100% FREE too :)

Thought I'd give it ago and I have to say I really like it. At first I had a few hiccups with it. e.g playlist wouldn't move after installing bif skin. I couldn't drag songs into the playlist nor add to the playlist but was all solved once i restarted it. I like that you can control the fade ( I think its a tad too long for my liking). It sounds good and I'll need to play around with it more before I decide whether or not it takes over winamp but do like that it includes auto shutdown. One gripe is that it doesnt have a media library - at least not what I've found so far but I never really did take advantage of the libraries I've used on winamp anyways - surprisingly I like WMP one more...

It doesn't seem to do video but I never did use winamp for video either so I always use a dedicated music player with a video player like MPC

I do like how it separates the songs via the album title and has little info written underneath and how you can decide whether to add them in the current position or after the current playlist. The tab like features for playlist is quite intuitive too.

Okay I just found out where the media library is. It's not so clear cut but i went to the global hot keys and found it (ctrl +M) I would prefer a button of sorts on the player so its a little more integrated otherwise the short cut key suffice.

Thanks!

Just downloaded AIMP2 and have to say that its pretty good so far, just wish i could make the player part a bit bigger and incorporate the audio library into it

Other than that, pretty good,

Also, i use The KMPlayer for video, VLC backup and used to use WMP for audio but i may have found a new favorite :D

MPC For All Video's, If failz, VLC/KMP (Some MKV's seem buggy and need KM)

Audio = Winamp (Many plugins for parties) Never needed any other audio player.

I dont really use media library's, just saved playlists so I'm just keeping it simple, I'm sure you guys have squillions of tunes compared to my 10000 songs i have.

If only winamp had vlc's codec base. :)

I have a pretty decent collection of music (30,000+ songs). Love my music, so have a Auzen X-Fi Prelude and MegaWorks 550THX 5.1 speakers. Most of my songs are in 320 bitrate, and I've started to replace them with a collection of FLAC/WAV. I'm big into quality, and need decent organization too. My video needs are much less anal. Over the years I've tried everything I can find to get the best sound (5.1) and organization. So here's my suggestions:

Music:

Best sound... KMPlayer. Crystal clear sound with more than enough options to keep even the enthusiast happy. Winamp and MediaMonkey sound muffled compared to KMPlayer. The fatal flaw for KMPlayer is that it uses an old Winamp plugin for the media library which doesn't properly read tags from FLAC. For MP3s or iTunes crap (M4A) the tags read fine and the media player is decent.

Best organazation... Winamp (used Pro since version 2, so not sure how the free version compares anymore). Reads all tags properly, organizes anyway you want (if you spend the time up front to edit the tags accordingly), and has the best search feature of any music player. Plays all formats properly (MP3, M4A, FLAC, WAV, etc.). 5.1 is supported, but sounds distorted even with the best quality WAV files, and is absolute crap for Vista and Windows 7. Luckily there are plenty of 3rd party plugins that make 5.1 significantly better. Again, the fatal flaw for me is that it sounds muffled compared to KMPlayer (even in 2 channel), but if you don't have KMPlayer to compare to, or have a 2nd rate sound system, its more than adequate.

MediaMonkey sound is identical to Winamp, also supports 5.1 but half assed. Search and media library are decent, but not as good as Winamp.

AIMP2 has decent media library, but deal breaker for me is that it doesn't support 5.1. The sound quality is not as good as Winamp, MediaMonkey, or Zoom Player on 2 channel. Also, even on my 24" monitor the text is too small to see, gives me a headache trying to read it. Didn't last on my system long enough to trouble-shoot all the bugs out of it.

VLC is very basic. The sound quality is 2nd rate, but with a 2nd rate sound system, small music collections, or for those who don't feel the need to play with settings, VLC is a good choice.

Zoom Player was actually a pleasant surprise for me. The sound quality and media library rival Winamp. I might actually pay for the newest version and replace Winamp with it, depending upon how the next version turns out. It took some doing to get my 5.1 working correctly, but it does work as well as any 3rd party plugin for Winamp.

Video:

KMPlayer. Again, I'm not as picky about vids and don't use my computer for them much, but haven't found anything that KMPlayer can't do yet. Beats switching back and forth from WMP to RealPlayer, to Quicktime for me.

KMPlayer's big problem is that it only has a single developer working on it now, which makes fixes and new versions quite slow. However, its quite good as it is. If it had a better media library for music (FLAC in particular) I wouldn't need anything else on my computer. :-)

On Windows platforms

Video: KMplayer on x86, Media Player Classic on x64.

I love the KMPlayer, but it dies on Win7 x64 ALL the time. Media Player Classic is simpler but rock solid.

Music: Mediamonkey for tagging, media library etc - AIMP2 for general playback.

Mediamonkey is pretty good, can tag and even rename files while they're playing, though I still seem to find myself adding cover art and metadata manually rather than using its automatic features. I requrie a very simple interface for general playback so AIMP2 is good for its wide media support.

I love the KMPlayer, but it dies on Win7 x64 ALL the time.

We use KMPlayer on several Win7 x64 Ultimate machines and haven't had a problem yet. You using the final release 1435?

I just installed KMPlayer and I can tell the difference even playing a 192kpbs mp3 on onboard sound and some dodgy no-name gaming headset. Why haven't I used this before ?

only thing is, whenever I open a program or finish listening to a track I get the warning "Class not registered", weird

I just installed KMPlayer and I can tell the difference even playing a 192kpbs mp3 on onboard sound and some dodgy no-name gaming headset. Why haven't I used this before ?

only thing is, whenever I open a program or finish listening to a track I get the warning "Class not registered", weird

Class not registered errors usually have to do with non-registered .dll files or permissions.

If on Vista or Win 7, make sure you install as administrator (disable UAC and reboot, turn back on when you're done). Also make sure you're using the official release from KMPlayer forums, as there are quite a few corrupt/mislabeled copies on various sites.

If its permissions, you'd usually have the same problem with all media players.

Good luck, its worth sorting out IMO.

Winamp (used Pro since version 2, so not sure how the free version compares anymore).

It's not worth paying for it these days.

All it gets you is faster CD burning (free version is speed limited), and higher quality MP3 and AAC encoders.

For the purposes of playback though, they are identical.

Class not registered errors usually have to do with non-registered .dll files or permissions.

If on Vista or Win 7, make sure you install as administrator (disable UAC and reboot, turn back on when you're done). Also make sure you're using the official release from KMPlayer forums, as there are quite a few corrupt/mislabeled copies on various sites.

If its permissions, you'd usually have the same problem with all media players.

Good luck, its worth sorting out IMO.

Thanks, I am an Admin and UAC has been off for a while, I can't remember where I downloaded it so maybe that's the problem.