Sign in to follow this  
Harro2

New Intel CPU's for X58 MBs

Hey fellow atomicans,

Just a heads up on new CPUs coming out.

Old news for some but news to me as I only discovered my self after reading about Atomics pictures of the new X58 motherboards.

The X58 Motherboards will suport the new LGA 1366 socket CPUs

Codenamed Nehalem, the first processes will be named Bloomfield and later release for Westmere

No more FSB overclocking as they will have Intergrated Memory Controller on the CPU they call QuickPath

Bloomfield 45nm from 2.66 to 3.2Ghz 2 and 4 core CPUs

upto 8MB L3 Cache

Triple DDR3

Release end of this year or start of 2009

Westmere 32nm upto 6 cores

upto 12MB L3 Cache

Quad DDR3

Release probably by end of 2009 or 2010

I suspect for people thinking of upgrading now, it might find it beneficial to wait. The current crop will possably drop in price or if you have the $$$ get a LGA1366 system on release with a Bloomfield CPU and upgrade to Westmere in 2010. Im going to try and make my current system last till 2010 before I upgrade and go strait to a Westmere based system hopfully.

Oh neerly forgot to mention, the CPUs are larger so upgrading to LGA1366 would require new Heatsink size and mounting. Looks like DDR3 is finally going to become mainsteam too, which will also increase the expence of these new systems especially if you go for 3 stix of RAM, although dual is still suported.

umm... thanks, we have known about this since the start of the year and it has been covered in many a thread.

Can't wait for this.

As soon as it hits stock at work I'll be upgrading!

any idea when that may be Lambo?

Good question. That I couldn't even answer.

Tho now I work for one of the big disties I do have access to people at Intel who might be able to shed light.

Will put the feelers out....

Man, I'm due to for new desktop. My laptop also approaching replacement age (it's got a few physical issues).

Might wait until they fix up all the issues found in the first releases.

hey, funny that I go for West Coast Eagles too...my nickname is Harro as well.

Really? Wow thats some sort of temporal space thing right there.

You live in Perth? The PAC is growing rapidly if you are!

Harro eh? that's never been my nickname.

I guess we don't need any more

Haha methinks your right.

I've heard mid november been rumoured as the release date, but does anyone know where any harder information could be found? I'm rather keen on getting one in a newq desktop =P

This wasn't from wiki was it?

Yep, I got some of the info from wiki and also some from the official intel site.

I suspect the actual release dates are kept secret so people will keep buying the current CPU based systems.

The purpose of this topic was to inform Atomic readers thinking of upgrading now to maybe reconsider thier upgrade date.

Picking the right hardware upgrade is always hazadous because as soon as you build your new system something new come out. Timing your upgrade path is hard enough, so for us geeks, its nice to know what new tech is just around the corner.

As I said in my OP, with this knowledge, im planing my upgrade probably in 2010. The Westmere looks awsome.

For others there needs might require an upgrade sooner so im saying maybe hold of 2 or 3 months.

2 or 3 months?

that could mean after xmas/new year

fuck that!

surely they'll be out before then, I expect to see them on the shelves within the next month or so - they've been saying last month, this month, it can't be much longer!

apparently the Gigabyte Extreme board's already in full production, atomic already have one in their possession.......it's gotta be close.

they wouldn't be worried about selling their old C2D stuff, those babies will still be selling like hotcakes, as they'll surely be a helluva lot cheaper - one thing you can bank on, these i7/X58/DDR3 setups are gonna be fucking pricey, real pricey - I wouldn't expect much change from $2.5K for CPU/mobo/RAM.

was to inform Atomic readers thinking of upgrading now to maybe reconsider thier upgrade date.

Picking the right hardware upgrade is always hazadous because as soon as you build your new system something new come out. Timing your upgrade path is hard enough, so for us geeks, its nice to know what new tech is just around the corner.

As I said in my OP, with this knowledge, im planing my upgrade probably in 2010. The Westmere looks awsome.

For others there needs might require an upgrade sooner so im saying maybe hold of 2 or 3 months.

There's NO possible way I could hold off an upgrade until 2010. But another 6 months is about right, my current PC is about a year and a half old.

I tend to upgrade every 18months or so at the mo. Love it. Love it. Did I mention I love it?

But it's so bad for me. When it gets to the point that I'm burgling houses to feed my upgrading addiction, i will need to go into rehab i think.

I wouldn't expect much change from $2.5K for CPU/mobo/RAM.

I haven't spent that much on CPU/mobo/RAM in the past 6 years.

That's ridiculous.

Realistically, I think you'd be looking at prices similar to when the C2D came out.

$350 or so for the average ones.

$500 for the decent ones

$650 for the better ones.

And similar prices minus $150 for the motherboards.

DDR3 has came down in price by quite a lot, so it's more like $150 for 4 GB which is nice.