ROUBOS

Buildign a new system, need some feedback !

Hi guys, I'm building a new PC for gaming and multimedia work (things like photoshop/aftereffect etc).

Here are the specs I'm looking at :

Monitor: LG W2486L-PF 24'' LED PIANO BLACK

CASE: THERMALTAKE VA7000BWA SHARK WINDOW BLACK

PSU:THERMALTAKE W0204 TOUGHPOWER QFAN 850W OR THERMALTAKE W0133 TOUGHPOWER 1200W OR THERMALTAKE W0171 TOUGHPOWER 1500W

CPU: INTEL CORE I7-950 3.06 GHZ LGA1366 - BOX

MOBO: ASUS RAMPAGE 2 EXTREME

RAM: CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8 XMS3 DDR3 6GB (3X2GB) PC3-12800 (1600MHZ) TRIPLE CHANNEL KIT OR KINGSTON KHX14400D3T1K3/6GX 6GB (3X2GB) PC14400 1800MHZ HYPERX T1 TRIPLE CHANNEL KIT

GPU: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD5870 1GB HDMI PCI-E RETAIL OR 2x HD4870

HDD:WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD1002FBYS RE3 SATA2 OR WESTERN DIGITAL WD10EADS 1TB CAVIAR GREEN SATA2 (x2 for RAID)

I need your thoughts on the PSU. I mean that I would like to eventually get 2 graphics cards. What PSU do I need. They all have 3x6pin PCIe connectors. And any two graphics cards need 2x6PCIe connectors each.

Also, should I be looking at one HD5970 card or maybe 2 x HD4870 cards.

Obviously RAID is better than one HDD right? (so go for 2 cheaper HDDs on RAID)

Also for dual monitor system, do both monitors need to be identical ???

Should I add a better CPU FAN? or keep the one it comes with?

Feel free to give any advice,

thanks in advance...

EDIT >>> Should we look at an AMD alternative?

Edited by ROUBOS

I would strongly look at a SSD. They are a little expensive at the moment, but seeing that you are going fairly high end you should consider it. I was weighing up between a raid setup or going SSD and now that I have the SSD I won't go back. I bought a 256gb Gskill SSD for less than $800 - I thought 128gb was a bit small.

I am running a i860, 8gb ddr3, gtx260, and SSD. I mainly use it for Photoshop and Dreamweaver. The difference between my last machine is simply amazing and I would say its mostly down to the SSD. Photoshop is almost instant, very, very happy. Oh, and only 650w Coolermaster PSU.

Even with your system I thight 1000w+ maybe a little excessive. I'm not too familar with brands and different PSUs (I'm sure somebody else will chime in), but I would say if its a quality PSU 1000w should be more than enough. Please shoot me down if I'm saying the wrong thing here guys.

Remember, graphics cards are mainly for games, and perhaps some 3d rendering.

Are you going to overclock? You can always change the cpu fan later if needed. As long as the case has enough room inside to move air easily and has at least 2 fans you should be laughing.

I would strongly look at a SSD. They are a little expensive at the moment, but seeing that you are going fairly high end you should consider it. I was weighing up between a raid setup or going SSD and now that I have the SSD I won't go back. I bought a 256gb Gskill SSD for less than $800 - I thought 128gb was a bit small.

I am running a i860, 8gb ddr3, gtx260, and SSD. I mainly use it for Photoshop and Dreamweaver. The difference between my last machine is simply amazing and I would say its mostly down to the SSD. Photoshop is almost instant, very, very happy. Oh, and only 650w Coolermaster PSU.

Even with your system I thight 1000w+ maybe a little excessive. I'm not too familar with brands and different PSUs (I'm sure somebody else will chime in), but I would say if its a quality PSU 1000w should be more than enough. Please shoot me down if I'm saying the wrong thing here guys.

Remember, graphics cards are mainly for games, and perhaps some 3d rendering.

Are you going to overclock? You can always change the cpu fan later if needed. As long as the case has enough room inside to move air easily and has at least 2 fans you should be laughing.

Hi, thanks for your reply. No, not going to over clock.

An SSD drive is something I did not think of to be honest. Are they all 2.5" ?

The PSU is just that the video card I chose, needs at least a 500W PSU. So I thought to double that in case I get a second videocard.

HDD needs to go to Samsing Silencer, 3X333GB platers and runs much cooler and faster than even the WD greens. also has about the same power consumption.

PSU is definately overkill mate, get the lowest one you've mentioned there, however i'd strongly recommend a switch up to a Corsair brand PSU, even if you have to drop some watts, the quality is just amazing, and usually one very beefy power rail rather than multiple weaker ones.

I know you said you're not overclocking, but I think thats foolish. The i7 920 can reach 3.6GHZ without doing ANYTHING to it, just up the BCLK, adjust the ram and you're done. 1600mhz RAM means easy adjusting too.

Overclocking is not harmful or risky if you're not increasing voltage, and you check tempertures.

Reguardless of overclocking or not, i'd suggest you add a Noctua C12P on that list, as all the 'i' range runs warm, so aftermarket cooling is very much win.

As for ram, save a little money if you're CERTAIN you're not overclocking. its well documented and tested that ram 'speed' is almost meaningless to the i7, and its the timings that matter more.

Go for a single GPU for now, who cares if its not quite as fast, dealing with the noise, heat, and sometimes compatibility of 2 cards can be a pain.

Edited by Master_Scythe

The PSU is just that the video card I chose, needs at least a 500W PSU. So I thought to double that in case I get a second videocard.

Again correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when the video card company recommends a 500w PSU they mean for the whole system - where the graphics card is using only a percentage of the 500w.

I good cpu cooler isn't a half bad idea even if you are not overclocking. I found with my old Core 2 Duo in the summer having a aftermarket cooler made it more stable, even when not overclocking.

SSD drives are for laptops right? 2.5". But should fit in a desktop PC. There shouldn't any problems with it right?

Thinking of getting the SSD to install windows and software, and a HDD for personal data

EDIT >>> so looks like I should get the 850W PSU, one GPU and some cooling for the CPU.

Edited by ROUBOS

SSD drives are for laptops right? 2.5". But should fit in a desktop PC. There shouldn't any problems with it right?

Thinking of getting the SSD to install windows and software, and a HDD for personal data

EDIT >>> so looks like I should get the 850W PSU, one GPU and some cooling for the CPU.

The SSDs are generally 2.5". That should be no problem. All you should need (if it doesn't come with one) is a 2.5"-3.5" mount adaptor - basically a metal/plastic bracket (typically $15+).

I've heard the corsair name thrown around a lot with regard to PSU. Maybe try googling the power consumption of your intended components - I would think there should be some power calculators out there.

found this SAMSUNG SOLID STATE 128GB 2.5" SATAII MLC and CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG1D 128GB 2.5'' SOLID STATE DISK DRIVE

Getting everything from the same store.

So no thoughts on an AMD system. Much cheaper but I guess the I7 is the best right now

found this SAMSUNG SOLID STATE 128GB 2.5" SATAII MLC and CORSAIR CMFSSD-128GBG1D 128GB 2.5'' SOLID STATE DISK DRIVE

Getting everything from the same store.

So no thoughts on an AMD system. Much cheaper but I guess the I7 is the best right now

If you got the cash, stick with Intel :P

OK so 850w is more than enough. thanks

this one, CORSAIR HX1000W MODULAR POWER SUPPLY looks awesome but it is expansive. At the store's description it mentions for SLI video cards. Thats nVidia right? What id you want ATI crossfire... does the PSU make a difference? Sorry for the stupid question...

OK Finally put the order through. Getting the following:

Windows 7. (coming on the 22nd)

Case: CoolerMaster Haf 932 Black Case (RC-932-KKN1-GP)

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HXEU PSU (850W)

Monitor: LG W2486L-PF LED Monitor 24''

CPU: Intel Core I7-950 (s1366, 3.06GHz, 8MB, Box)

Mobo: Asus Rampage 2 Xtreme (1366, DDR3, X58)

RAM: Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 Ram Kit (3 x 2GB, PC3 12800, 8-8-8-24, TR3X6G1600C8D)

GPU: Sapphire 5870 SVGA (PCI-Express, 1GB)

HDD: Western Digital RE3 1TB HDD (Sata II , WD1002FBYS)

DVDRW: LG LS GH22LS50 DVDRW + / - (Sata, Bulk)

Keyboard: Logitech Ultra Flat

Mouse: Logitech G500 Ανθρακί Μouse

Floppy: NEC FD1139H Black Floppy Drive 3.5" (IDE)

Speakers: Logitech Ηχεία X-530

In the description for the PSU, it says its SLI ready, but that should be ok for ATI crossfire right?

I got a few days to make changes if necessary. I did not find the CPU Fan in this store, but it should be ok i guess since I'm not overclocking, and the case is full of huge fans. :)

Thank you all for your replies. Feel free for more feedback.

Thanks!

I always get the floppy... for flashing the mobo...

sorry its been 6 years since my last build ...