johnny05

Sound card vs Onboard sound?

Onboard all the way here.

The reason I use onboard sound is this:

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/dared/dared.html

Combined with this:

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/gs1000.htm

= :)

Also with the MP-5 you can wire in some quality bookshelf speakers.

This.

I have onboard sound, and will not waste my money on a dedicated soundcard for exactly the same thing (digital passthrough). This is my DAC:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?...pling+CD+player

:D

I've always used on board sound on my computer, but thats because i listen to all my music through a separate sound system i have in my house, which is far bigger and better quality then my computer's system. But as far as i know, a good sound card wont make an exceptionally large difference when it comes to low quality music (ie. mp3) as this format is already compressed and lost some its quality. I found that when i put mp3's on my ipod and ran it through my stereo, and even through my car's overly powerful pioneer system, the mp3's other than being louder, sounded worse because the high quality speakers made the compression and loss of quality more obvious. Although, the creative x-fi cards, regardless of not being overly popular wit everyone, have onboard memory (64mb i believe) to help with audio processing, which in other words means you might be able to play a game with a few more fps as audio processing is taken away from the cpu and RAM.

Maybe get a soundcard if you think your speakers are also of equal quality for sure, and especially if you consider yourself an audiophilliac. As far as the creative card goes, i have zilch experience with sound cards, but from what i've heard, the new Asus Xonar cards are meant to be great, and Auzentech has been one of the best sound card brands around, and they even sport the 'X-fi' technology in some of them that are found in creative cards.

I can confirm that the "PCI EXPRESS" X-FI cards that ship with many ASUS and MSI boards are defintely stronger than onboard sound, but not quite as good as a standalone card.. take it from an audiophile.

I can confirm that the "PCI EXPRESS" X-FI card contains an ADI AD2000B chip and isn't a true X-FI card. It is just like an X-FI Xtreme Audio card. It will make your cpu work harder as all the X-FI bells and whistles are emulated in software. Steer clear of those add in cards.

Are these new "fancy pants" non-creative cards compatible with older games?

'Fancy Pants'?... I don't understand. Do you know anything about the Xonar cards?... They would be even more compatible with games than the X-FI cards are; especially with all the driver issues creative have had.

What do you think of the onboard sound on the Asus P6T v2 deluxe?,it uses the ADI AD2000B chip i was thinking of getting this board without a soundcard.

What do you think of the onboard sound on the Asus P6T v2 deluxe?,it uses the ADI AD2000B chip i was thinking of getting this board without a soundcard.

It's just onboard sound with some X-Fi endorsed software. But I don't think the Asus P6T v2 Deluxe comes with that software. So really it's just onboard sound.

Onboard sound is still good though, I'm not saying it sounds horrible. But like what has been posted above; get a sound card (or an external DAC...)

Edited by Barry The Penguin

quick q:

is it worthwhile grabbing something like the Asus Xonar DX to be used with Logitech X-530's and a Sennheiser PC161 headset?

I see no reason to upgrade to a sound card unless you need it for a specific purpose.

Speakers seem like the better upgrade in terms of what you would notice happening to the sound. With a dinky little 2.1 system you're already disadvantaged by having substandard speakers trying to recreate your sound. Now I'm not saying you need studio monitors or anything, but even going up to some big z5500's would make more of an impact than a soundcard upgrade IMHO.

Most people might be able to tell the difference between soundcards in a side by side comparison, but if you asked someone to point out differences after hearing one after another, and factor in time taken to install and setup again, I reckon they might struggle. Most people might point out "it's clearer?" referring to the extra treble they notice.....but is that worth an upgrade?

If you get easily influenced by numbers and specs, then go for it! I am ;) But I really think you'd be much more impressed with new speakers.

I've just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD555, now I'm planning to get the ASUS Essence STX to go with the cans. does anybody know how they sound together?

I've just bought a pair of Sennheiser HD555, now I'm planning to get the ASUS Essence STX to go with the cans. does anybody know how they sound together?

Amazing.

I have an STX and HD 600's. Simply amazing. The dedicated headphone amp is very, very good for Headphones.

Oh yeah and if you replace your Yamaha setup with a set of Audio engine A2 or A5 you will also be amazed at how good your PC sound can be.

I have a set of A2's (for the office) and will be getting a set of A5's to replace my Logitech Z5500D's.

_sl1nger

Edited by gun_sl1nger

I've had both the Xonar D2X and X-Fi Titanium. I stuck with the Xonar D2X in the end. Drivers seem better and it can do a few things the X-Fi can't.

Is it true that Creative X-FI Titanium software/drivers add too much bloat?

In any case i am going to upgrade from onboard sound to Asus Xonar D2X. Which should definetely be a step up.

Edited by 2SHY

I'm keen to hear what you think about it.

With those puns you can step to the realm of Robzy's puns. :P

But yeah, i will let you know.

Amazing.

I have an STX and HD 600's. Simply amazing. The dedicated headphone amp is very, very good for Headphones.

Oh yeah and if you replace your Yamaha setup with a set of Audio engine A2 or A5 you will also be amazed at how good your PC sound can be.

I have a set of A2's (for the office) and will be getting a set of A5's to replace my Logitech Z5500D's.

_sl1nger

yeh i saw those on pc case gear, but i couldnt find many reviews on them.

so you think the A5's sound better then the logitechs? hows the bass on them?

btw, now you got me syked about the Essence STX. =]

Installed It. Awesome. Much better than on board.

Only thing is how do i plug in Logitech X530 (analog inputs) into the D2X?

Edit (I think i got it working)

Edited by 2SHY

The only reason,I use a sound card (sound blaster platuim)is to free up the cpu and ram, When it comes to sound I honestly can't hear any difference. But to be fair most off my mp3s are @128 and most movies are 700mb DIVX.

Amazing.

_sl1nger

yeh i saw those on pc case gear, but i couldnt find many reviews on them.

so you think the A5's sound better then the logitechs? hows the bass on them?

btw, now you got me syked about the Essence STX. =]

There are plenty of reviews on the Audioengine A5's

This is one that I posted ages ago here :)

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speaker.../audioengine-a5

Edited by datafast69

The only reason,I use a sound card (sound blaster platuim)is to free up the cpu and ram, When it comes to sound I honestly can't hear any difference. But to be fair most off my mp3s are @128 and most movies are 700mb DIVX.

I don't think you're being fair to your ears!

I don't think you're being fair to your ears!

Most likley your right.

I downloaded most at 128 because when I first got my mp3 player it was 1 gig and being 128 I could fit more songs on.

Try some CD quality or better and you WILL hear the difference.

Go for 320KPBS. I find it makes a difference. VBR is ok. But constant 320 is better.