johnny05

Sound card vs Onboard sound?

I think with storage as cheap as it is these days anyone who likes listening to music should just FLAC it, if you need to then recode it for mobile players etc you don't run into compression artifact problems.

Edited by turro

I don't have a problem with FLAC.......but being a lazy bastard, wav is easier.

Hell! I'm still only up to 80gig.......and they'll stop making those drives soon.......and I goy a 32GB flash drive a couple of months ago.

since i had some spare money lying around, after seeing this thread i thought i would actually go and buy a sound card. Picked up a pci e xfi xtreme audio for less then 50 bucks.

makes a shit load of difference, especially on 320k songs. A lot more clearer on higher notes.

since i had some spare money lying around, after seeing this thread i thought i would actually go and buy a sound card. Picked up a pci e xfi xtreme audio for less then 50 bucks.

makes a shit load of difference, especially on 320k songs. A lot more clearer on higher notes.

I think the Xfi has an MP3 clarifier which tries to undo some of the damage done by the encoder.

Did you try it?

I think the Xfi has an MP3 clarifier which tries to undo some of the damage done by the encoder.

Did you try it?

hmm, can't seem to find anything of the sort in the control panel software... just the general EQ, balance etc... i'll have another look though

I haven't tried it either but I haven't got an Xfi.

I've heard that it can be an improvement but not always.

In the media player, i did find a tool to "analyze music" don't hear much of a difference when i analyzed it though lol. But i mean, even just playing with the EQ settings, and turning on bass boost for a better thump out the sub, it is a huge step up from the onboard.

Wasn't it called "crystalizer' or something, the feature for improving MP3 playback, that is?

Edited by datafast69