Hubbo

G.Skill Ripjaw 7-7-7-24 and 9-9-9-24?

Prior to buying my new PC I did some research as we all do. At the time I was looking at the G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 Ram, after some googling it appeared to have 7-7-7-24 timings, but after buying some it appears to be only 9-9-9-24.

Again, doing some more googling some sites say 7-7-7-24 and some say 9-9-9-24 both for the Ripjaw series. How can the same series have different timings?

CL7 ram and CL9. Tighter timings means better performance. All that means though it that the ram is tested and works at that speed and timings. You can push it further.

CL7 ram and CL9. Tighter timings means better performance. All that means though it that the ram is tested and works at that speed and timings. You can push it further.

So would it be like how Intel makes there CPUs (or at least used to) - They make a bunch of parts (in Intel's case the CPU dies), test them, the 'faulty ones' (well, the ones that don't work as well) get labelled as the budget parts and the ones that test ok get rated as the 'premium' product, technically being the same design?

I have the 1333 7-7-7-21 ones and they do 200mhz 9-9-9-27 easy.

Ok, but isn't lower better????

Faster MHz speeds and lower CAS latencies are better, in this case he's traded off an extra 2 MS latency for an extra 667 MHz. FYI got the 1600 CL8 Ripjaws - clock well and do 1600 CL7 easily.

I wouldn't be worried- mhz seems to make more performance difference than tighter timings on these platforms anyway.

Faster MHz speeds and lower CAS latencies are better, in this case he's traded off an extra 2 MS latency for an extra 667 MHz. FYI got the 1600 CL8 Ripjaws - clock well and do 1600 CL7 easily.

CL8, now there is a third version???? Com'on! Am I the only person that thinks this is a bit strange? It's like buying a new Ford XR8 where one customer gets a 5.0L V8, another customer gets a 6.0L V8, and some customers getting a 7.0L V8 all under the same name! Why can't they use different names for different products, rather than the same name for different products? Seems a bit of a lucky dip!

They do have different names you just need to know what your talking about before making your purchase. I have a the Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D there ment to do 8-8-8-24 but they easily do 1800mhz @ 7-7-7-20 which is great. Just get the cheaper kit your not really going to notice unless your benchmarking.

CL8, now there is a third version???? Com'on! Am I the only person that thinks this is a bit strange? It's like buying a new Ford XR8 where one customer gets a 5.0L V8, another customer gets a 6.0L V8, and some customers getting a 7.0L V8 all under the same name! Why can't they use different names for different products, rather than the same name for different products? Seems a bit of a lucky dip!

Its to do with the chips they use.

What lol - like someone buying a Falcon GT, another buying a Falcon ute and a third person buying a Falcon XR6? all 'under the same name??!?' Ripjaw appears to be G.Skill's name for (dual channel) DDR3 Lynnfield memory kits, there are various subtypes below that defined by their speeds and latencies, just like sub-types of cars are by their engines, suspension, kitouts and so on. Like mudg3 said, it's a matter of understanding what the specs mean.

I wouldn't be worried- mhz seems to make more performance difference than tighter timings on these platforms anyway.

TBH it seems to be a bit of a dead heat between latency and MHz, 1333 CL6 ~ 1600 Cl7 ~ 2000 CL8 from Anandtech's testing.

TBH it seems to be a bit of a dead heat between latency and MHz, 1333 CL6 ~ 1600 Cl7 ~ 2000 CL8 from Anandtech's testing.

Does it really matter though? I have always been in favor of cheap RAM and spending what you saved to get a better CPU or GPU.

What lol - like someone buying a Falcon GT, another buying a Falcon ute and a third person buying a Falcon XR6? all 'under the same name??!?' Ripjaw appears to be G.Skill's name for (dual channel) DDR3 Lynnfield memory kits, there are various subtypes below that defined by their speeds and latencies, just like sub-types of cars are by their engines, suspension, kitouts and so on. Like mudg3 said, it's a matter of understanding what the specs mean.

Ahhhh.... Geee.... Never quite so simple. The main point being that they advertise just G.Skill Ripjaw 1600. I am aware of the lower timing and higher frequency are better but why cant they advertise G.Skill Ripjaw CL7, CL8, CL9????

Ahhhh.... Geee.... Never quite so simple. The main point being that they advertise just G.Skill Ripjaw 1600. I am aware of the lower timing and higher frequency are better but why cant they advertise G.Skill Ripjaw CL7, CL8, CL9????

If the shop doesn't advertise latency then yeah, they're being a bit dumb - it's pretty uncommon and weird not to put those kind of specs in.

Does it really matter though? I have always been in favor of cheap RAM and spending what you saved to get a better CPU or GPU.

Yes and no. There's still the purce fact of what is fastest, regardless of price efficiency. But even when considering what is the best value, it's good to know, for instance if you had no idea which was faster, how would you have reached an optimal speed vs latency overclock on your value ram?

Edited by philo-sofa