Sign in to follow this  
Gharphield

Systema Fighting Art!

@~thehung and Cybes:

As for your comments about ... crazed attackers lunging at you (as shown in the video) I might suggest you go and Google 'street fights' or something like that and see just how people actually attack. Every monkey knows how to throw a hay maker, I have nfi what the people in the video were doing.

If you want to understand Leverage, Balance and Positioning, then Judo or BJJ are 2 arts in which will teach you VERY effective techniques in that regard. They both train with aliveness and they both work on resisting opponents. Go nuts.

Yet to look up the vid, but thought this deserved a comment. I practised judo for quite a while (some time ago), which is why I brought up the point about needing to maintain your balance. Since the 'attackers' in this vid were way out of it, dodging becomes a very viable technique, and will tend to send the guy sprawling.

Yes, it's clearly staged, but it would be if this was a demonstration - as you've pointed out - and, except for the ring fight, it certainly looked like one to me.

I think the guy(Gordo?) in the very first UFC match was a Silat fighter.

I don't watch UFC, but I would wonder what Silat System that guy was trained in? there are 159 different systems in the Javanese Islands (or was it 156?)

PD was developed in the 1950s and took what in the founders eyes was the best techniques of many of these systems, Oh, he had trained with the Shaolin monks too, so a little of that went in.

It's widest practised system in Indo, being adopted by the military and Special Forces.

Couldn't tell you sorry man. All I can really say is that he went on to fight in MMA / NHB style matches beyond that. He featured in a movie based on Rickson Gracie called 'Choke' (in the tournament at the end, his first fight was shown).

Ever since Tom Clancy wrote Net Force I've totally been interested in Silat.

>.>

Guys, the PD club here has very strong ties with Indo' these days, and is a very rich art if it is what one is looking for.

There are vids on youtube, but I don't like to link them because they don't show how much is on offer to practitioners, clubs in a lot of areas across Australia so check it out if you are inclined.

@~thehung and Cybes:

As for your comments about ... crazed attackers lunging at you (as shown in the video) I might suggest you go and Google 'street fights' or something like that and see just how people actually attack. Every monkey knows how to throw a hay maker, I have nfi what the people in the video were doing.

If you want to understand Leverage, Balance and Positioning, then Judo or BJJ are 2 arts in which will teach you VERY effective techniques in that regard. They both train with aliveness and they both work on resisting opponents. Go nuts.

and might i suggest you are careful not to read in more than has been said.

the principle i spoke of, is sound. but i cant think of how i would demonstrate the gist of it without a compliant attacker -- because it isnt a set of moves, it is a fluid principle. if someone saw me doing so without the benefit of context, it would probably look pretty silly.

it goes without saying that the bulk of the scenarios in that vid have no imaginable relationship to reality. certainly, if this is the official promo vid of the style...ROFL. but i can still give isolated moments the benefit of the doubt — where a lack-lustre practitioner may be demonstrating sound principles — because unlike you, i have no preconceptions of this 'art' and where these clips are sourced.

as you know, a trained fighter's centre of gravity tends to remain stable, even when a lunging strike has missed its mark, so there is not often a great deal of energy or motion to 'use against them'. but there are the odd moments, especially against those who telegraph, or who are untrained, where grappling/wrestling techniques can be employed with nary any contact. although i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would get in a ring against anyone thinking they can Yoda their way out of everything, unless theyre a delusional tard, possibly trained by delusional tards.

Ever since Tom Clancy wrote Net Force I've totally been interested in Silat.

>.>

hehe... :)

You have mentioned that movie to me before and I still haven't seen it, I must have a look for it (out of curiosity).

Thanks for reminding me ;)

Didn't that guy get his arse kicked by the kickboxer in the clip?

Edited by Oracle X

Jet Li, the Chan and the Lee are all still damn awesome man, and those movies still rock :) Real fighting doesn't look nice on film, you gotta spruce that shit up :)

Also, that Gordo guy used Savate, my bad (thanks to Datafast for finding this out for me).

EDIT:

Damn your editing whilst I was writing Oracle!!!!

Edited by Gharphield

Jet Li, the Chan and the Lee are all still damn awesome man, and those movies still rock :) Real fighting doesn't look nice on film, you gotta spruce that shit up :)

Also, that Gordo guy used Savate, my bad (thanks to Datafast for finding this out for me).

EDIT:

Damn your editing whilst I was writing Oracle!!!!

teehee, sorry. But I love the bit where he and his friend tore up the Shaolin monks. One of the best Kungfu scenes ever.

Also found this very interesting:

Edited by Oracle X

HA! I haven't even clicked on those vids and I already know who that is ... it's Chosen Ninja!!

HIII YAH!

Ahem ...

Yeah I know QUITE a lot about this man. I often visit a Martial Art forum that busts down people who claim shit in the Martial Art world, and discuss many other things (if you ever thought I was harsh ... wow). This guy had quite the thread discussion on him.

Oracle X: those are some awesome videos... now I have sore fingers :P

Need to find a willing test subject... failing that, an unwilling one :P

Edited by freespace

Also if you guys want a nice pressure point (I personally don't have any use for them, but its nice to know), get your finger and go to the back of your jaw where your ear ends and wiggle your finger up and down until you find it ... you'll know when you do :)

HA! I haven't even clicked on those vids and I already know who that is ... it's Chosen Ninja!!

HIII YAH!

Ahem ...

Yeah I know QUITE a lot about this man. I often visit a Martial Art forum that busts down people who claim shit in the Martial Art world, and discuss many other things (if you ever thought I was harsh ... wow). This guy had quite the thread discussion on him.

hmmm that's the problem with martial arts isn't it. Everything looks good on paper and in slow motion, but how well does it work in a real fight against someone who means serious business?

Still I like his stuff about how to hit ribcages and solarplex. Also the difference between vertical, round and triangle punch. Sadly there's no one I can try out the anti-locking and disarming technique with.

You may have noticed a small part there where a small stumpy fat bloke

that's (Colonel) Mikhail Ryabko, creator and founder of school of Systema, born into the military, started learning combat techniques at age 5, trains the Spetsnaz in combat and has overseen countless special forces operations during his time in the military

You may have noticed a small part there where a small stumpy fat bloke

that's (Colonel) Mikhail Ryabko, creator and founder of school of Systema, born into the military, started learning combat techniques at age 5, trains the Spetsnaz in combat and has overseen countless special forces operations during his time in the military

Check his creds man, and I seriously mean that, CHECK them!

How? That's not my job, but I'm sure when you google this shit you'll come across a website that has gone very in-depth with this crap and shown what this guy and his style truly are.

EDIT:

And I'm very much aware of who that man was before I posted this video.

Edited by Gharphield

Man I wish these guys would start fighting each other to settle it once for all.

Although most of the professional MA fights I've seen involve a lot of dancing around with neither side willing to fully engage until suddenly they're all tangled up in a mass of limbs.

Man I wish these guys would start fighting each other to settle it once for all.

Although most of the professional MA fights I've seen involve a lot of dancing around with neither side willing to fully engage until suddenly they're all tangled up in a mass of limbs.

You mean it actually turns into an actual fight? Funny that :)

Also the man who thought he could bring down people with his voice and shit was Kiai Master or something, quite a famous dude on YouTube :)