Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
ColonelSanders

Harvey Birdman loved by real lawyers

Animated attorney makes ABA's top 25 legal TV shows list

An ex-superhero who retires from the to spend his days as an attorney sorting out cartoon characters' squabbles over copyright disputes, organized crime and animal cruelty... Perhaps not the usual plot of a television legal drama series, but according to the American Bar Association, the animated series Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law has what it takes to feature in their list of the 25 greatest legal television shows of all time.

The list, released last week, also features some more predicable fare, with the quintessential legal drama LA Law, which was accredited with inspiring many young students to enrol in law courses, named as the top legal pick, narrowly pipping Raymond Burr's iconic incarnation of Perry Mason.

The 60s series The Defenders, came in third, with Law and Order, The Practice and quirky 90s legal comedy Ally McBeal following closely behind. The Law and Order franchise confirmed what many TV execs have been preaching for years -- you can't have too much of a good thing -- with spinoffs L&O: Criminal Intent and L&O: Special Victims Unit also gaining a guernsey.

Other shows picked out for honours included Boston Legal, Rumpole of the Bailey, and Matlock, which was included for Andy Griffith's "crafty, high-priced defence genius" Ben Matlock, and most probably some heavy campaigning on the part of Bart Simpson's aunts (and devoted fans) Patty & Selma.

On the lighter side, the 80s non-so-respectable comedy Night Court, which featured a memorable turn by John Larroquette as a sleazy district attorney, managed a respectable tenth place in the list.

Other shows picked out for honours included Boston Legal, Rumpole of the Bailey, and Matlock, which was included for Andy Griffith's "crafty, high-priced defence genius" Ben Matlock, and most probably some heavy campaigning on the part of Bart Simpson's aunts (and devoted fans) Patty & Selma.

Patty and Selma watched MacGyver. Grandpa watched Matlock. This article is worthless.

Also, I'd be stuggling to name 25 legal TV shows at all. Hell, I'd probably have struggled to name 10 before reading this article.

Patty and Selma watched MacGyver. Grandpa watched Matlock. This article is worthless.

Also, I'd be stuggling to name 25 legal TV shows at all. Hell, I'd probably have struggled to name 10 before reading this article.

Agree...Article FAIL on the Matlock/Patty & Selma thing. It was Grampa, Jasper and old folks that went nuts for him!

A lot of the shows that they mention I don't really remember but I remember Night Court..was a funny series..

I am surprised that real lawyers would want anything to do with TV lawyers. God knows TV-land fucks up every other profession badly enough to make it painful to watch for those actually in it.

I'll make allowances for Boston Legal and Harvey Birdman on the grounds of being hilarious and only peripherally a law show.

But, but.. no allowance for L&O?

L&O is *gold*.

And when my Aunt was studying criminal law, they used to recommend watching it. :|

I am surprised that real lawyers would want anything to do with TV lawyers. God knows TV-land fucks up every other profession badly enough to make it painful to watch for those actually in it.

I'll make allowances for Boston Legal and Harvey Birdman on the grounds of being hilarious and only peripherally a law show.

I'll add Lionel Hutz's character into that one also...

"That's why you're the judge and I'm the law talking guy!"

But, but.. no allowance for L&O?

L&O is *gold*.

And when my Aunt was studying criminal law, they used to recommend watching it. :|

Law & Order (all of them) pretend to be Law shows - with the capital letter and everything. When they include humour it's either accidental or incidental.

The recommendation tells me that just maybe they haven't messed it up as badly as I thought they had. Well, I'm not a lawyer - I'm just working off the parallels of anything computer related or to do with aeroplanes. Those they turn into gibberish.

Ah, Rumpole. I loved that show : )

That Simpsons gaffe was pretty lame...

Posted Image

MAAAAAAATTTTTTTTLLLLLOOOOOCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!

But yes Harvey Birdman is a very funny show.

Edited by magnumxy

Somehow I had HB pegged as a massive hit with gay folks... can't remember exactly why...

I do remember how rapid-fire the gags were though; sometimes it'd be more than three a second. Kinda fatiguing to watch.

Edited by Kimmo