Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bickas

Dragon Age:Origins

Either use a healer or change everyone's tactics to drink health pots.

I almost never controlled 4 people. I just control my one unless I want them to do something odd.

Seriously play with tactics.

I keep all tactics turned off and control everyone manually with pausing like literally every 1-2 seconds.

You want to at least do this to get combo spells out like shattering frozen people or igniting grease slicks or w/e.

My sorc is almost able to cast storm of the century cant wait haha..

If you're confused by the tactics Brock, its basically Left Page = Situation ie. Target Self > Health > Less than 50% and then the right page is the action so Drink Highest Potion, set that for everybody and they will all drink when they hit 50% hp.

Yeah I understand the way the tactics works. It's a nice system, but at the current stage I'm at I have 2 health pots between the whole group, so I can't really 100% rely on the HP pots.

I'd probably prefer to run around with a healer most of the game at the very least. Maybe party with myself (rogue), Alistair (tank), a ranger of some sort, or DPS mage & a healer so that it's not as necessary to sink HP pots every encounter.

Pausing seems like a good idea. I might give it a go controlling them manually if I pause often, at the moment I select all party members and make sure I focus fire each enemy, so they do drop, it's just the archers etc. seem to drop at least 2 of my group members every encounter. It should just be going alot smoother than that.

Warriors are better DPS than rogues, at this stage.

I use my main, rogue, to set traps for ambushes, and the like, then run back to the main group, where I position them and generally rely on tactics.

I'll pause every 10 seconds or so to trigger special abilities where necessary. I keep my mage mostly on healing duties at this stage, although everybody will nuke down any bosses based on tactic selections.

The part after that room seems impossible for me; 2 rooms on each end of the hallway, open one door, the horde rush from the other door as well, and I just get smashed. I seem to be doing what I can, I control Alistair mainly as he is the tank and I can taunt the horde off the others, like the mage etc. but he still dies so easily.

heeh yeah that part is buggy... the easiest way I found was to have the whole group selected and rush into the room on the right. the other room does still add but you should have most if not all of the 1st room dead by the time the adds come. I also changed the Guard guy to use sword/shield intsead of archery because at the start archery is shithouse dmg ^_^.

Rogues get MUCH better as they level, esp archery hehe. At the end of the game My Dalish Elf Rogue had full archery tree and was speced Ranger and Bard, Ranger for pets which in a 4 man group adds some much needed tanking or dmg in some situations and Bard for the hp and sta/mana regen song which is awesome. The archery skill "Arrow of Slaying" is insane it can insta kill most white targets (best hit was 799 on a mage heeh), does about 120-200 on yellow targets and 80-160ish on your orange bosses but requires ALOT of sta to shoot so you really only get to fire it once per fight.

Yeah I understand the way the tactics works. It's a nice system, but at the current stage I'm at I have 2 health pots between the whole group, so I can't really 100% rely on the HP pots.

I'd probably prefer to run around with a healer most of the game at the very least. Maybe party with myself (rogue), Alistair (tank), a ranger of some sort, or DPS mage & a healer so that it's not as necessary to sink HP pots every encounter.

Pausing seems like a good idea. I might give it a go controlling them manually if I pause often, at the moment I select all party members and make sure I focus fire each enemy, so they do drop, it's just the archers etc. seem to drop at least 2 of my group members every encounter. It should just be going alot smoother than that.

You are right if your rogue is opting for stealth and lock pick, i think these 2 things should be merged or something because if you wanted a rogue with lock pick and stealth he is stretched too thin with talents.. I have a rogue that would out dps any sorc but has to skip these things and build for pure back stab damage getting huge crits faster then 1 per second + the 3 socket damage, you could add paralise stones instead if you wanted but i found the 3 * +5 stones more beneficial.

I would recommend keeping a second rogue out of your party for lock pick and come back through the zones you clear out picking all the chests at once.. although this adds a good 15mins on every big zone you go to but ever since i found a unique named dagger in a locked chest i must open them all.

My first time through I played with Sten, Allistar, Shale and my rogue. No healer. I just made sure every time there were health packs avail in shops, I bought them. And made more with herbalism when I could.

Shale has a cool buff mode where he becomes stationary and just buffs everyone, I used it a lot on boss figts. And Sten turns into a beast, he was hitting for like 150 per hit near the end.

Edited by GhostWhoWalks

Wow, this part is really getting to me. Tried it probably 30+ times now!

I feel like I'm doing what I can, only problem is I have 2 HP pots among the group, 1 lesser and 1 full pot.

I've set the tactics on each group member to use the full pot when < 25%, and lesser when < 50%.

I've set each member to cast certain abilities/spells on the target of the controlled character (controlling Allistair for the most part, to taunt etc.)

I also pause the game every few seconds and line up AOE damage from the mage and such.

Always left with 1-2 mobs left with only 2 people (barely) alive, and don't have enough go in me to kill them.

Looks like it's time to go back to a previous save and level up herbalism/buy lots of pots and head back here :S

Edited by Brock

Nevermind :) it seems once you're past the opening sequences and pass the first invasion the game and how everything works becomes a lot clearer.

Loving it so far.

Edited by Brock

Holy shit, fighting off the Undead at Redcliffe is killing me!

It takes a few tries. I got them with the cheap 'shoot arrows at one and lead them into a blender ambush' tactics in the end.

Also, acid flasks/firebombs/area effect spells are a must if you have 'em.

aye spells like cone of cold if placed well can make a MASSIVE difference.

another tip is to have your archers/mages attack the lowest hp target while your melee try keep the mobs off the villagers.

That doesn't always work tho ehhe i had to do 60% of that fight with 3 dudes and only 1 was standing at the end hehe.

For that part I always take control of whoever I had tanking so I can better taunt and manage threat. Seemed to work for me. I ended up withall but 2 or 3 of the NPC's alive on Normal, I tried 3 or 4 times to get 100% survival on it... and I gave up. Some of the people just refuse to protect themselves.

Holy shit, fighting off the Undead at Redcliffe is killing me!

Same.

I get through the bit with the knights without any trouble, but when I go down the hill the townsfolk all get massacred and then I follow them into deathness.

I suppose that's what I get for playing on hard on my first play through.

Nearly done on the 2nd play through, first time as human noble fighter and now as a Human mage. I find the redcliff battles kind of hard for a place to go first. I found doing the Shale DLC and the Mage tower first a massive help, as I went to Redcliff with a few more abilities.

I find the warriors useless until they get a few abilities under their belts.

While I retried that undead fighting like 7 times on my first run through, my second was flawless as I had a better grip of the tactics system and what abilities I did have.

God I love tactics, I even managed to get Leliana to be able to fight in melee and at ranged with my bastardised build of archer and duel weapons. After that I haven't needed to control her much at all as she does everything herself and rather well.

Leliana's a beast with dual weapons. She was cutting 'em up on a par with my warrior and Alistair in the Redcliffe fight, and they had enchanted swords while she had two daggers!

I had all the good characters with me last run, and now I have all the "bad' characters. Their conversations are great, I have enjoyed it and I am trying to plan my next main group and what the hell I am going to be. Tossing up rogue or that combat mage thingo.

Might go with a dwarf rogue and mix them up, yet to have Orghen and that elf assassin in my party much.

I've tried to have a mixed party, but Morrigan disapproves of just about everything I do so I can't see that working partnership lasting long- and I don't think my character would even bother letting Sten out of his cage given what he did.

Anyone done the Morrigan/Flemeth Grimoire bit yet?

Flemeth shapeshifts in to a dragon, my chars are like lvl 10-11... ummm... yeah... I think I'll just tell Morrigan I killed her.

Anyone done the Morrigan/Flemeth Grimoire bit yet?

Flemeth shapeshifts in to a dragon, my chars are like lvl 10-11... ummm... yeah... I think I'll just tell Morrigan I killed her.

yeah its hard but doable

Its much like the other dragon fights, you really need more ranged than melee cuz melee just keep getting stunned and knocked back. Also having Whynn just purely healing makes a massive difference... as does fire resist gear like drake scale armour and the warm salves. When I did her i had Shale, Alistar, Shynn and myself as a rogue archer and got her 1st go.

Holy crap. Revenants are a bitch to fight.

Got absolutely spanked the last three rounds, and I'm too proud to crank down difficulty.

Revenants are ridiculous.

I have Alistair pretty much doing any physical knockdown he can, and Sten the same. Wynne does healing, and my PC does all the damage via the backstabbing.

Because they are triggered, I can't do my normal trap setting.

For Redcliffe, I laid a lot of traps, but didn't have Wynne when I did it, so was relying on the single Heal spell I had with Morrigan, a lot.

But the stunning/knockdown and Morrigan's AOE stun/Sleep/Damage spells are amazing.