G-relk

modern warfare 2 Multiplayer

http://modernwarfare2.net/pc-gamers-unite-...mw2-pre-orders/

Some of you may have already seen the news but for those of you who haven’t you may want to take a look at this. That’s right kids, IW just took a massive pile of crap on you. Robert Bowlinig confirmed the following details recently:

According to the latest BASHandSlash recorded webcast (skip to the 1hour, 39minute mark for MW2), a number of very interesting bits of information have started to make their way onto the internet.

Robert Bowling has confirmed that the PC version of Call of Duty is essentially ruined as far as multiplayer and customization goes. Let’s get a quick rundown here of what Bowling said on the webcast.

• IW has control of the game

• IWnet servers will host multiplayer

• DLC will be a charged item for PC

• No dedicated servers <– WTF?

• Matchmaking system used to play with similarly ranked players

• VAC instead of PB

• Semi-capable password servers

• Semi-capable ad-hoc servers

• Competitive play is dead <– good job IW, idiots.

• MW2 mods would not be possible

• Full integration into Steam

I haven’t pre-ordered the game myself because when I pre-orderd COD5|WaW I ended up buying the game twice because the shipping was messed up. But you can be damn sure I won’t be spending $60 on a crippled piece of crap like this. If I wanted to have lame graphics, no mods, and no dedicated servers then I’d just go play on console. Not to mention controllers are a joke.

This news has really reuined my entire weekend, I was so excited for MW2 and now they just rip the dream away. I’ve been waiting for MW2 release for months and IW just took a huge steaming pile of shit on my dreams. I’m going to be stuck on COD4 until I’m 50 years old.

For those of you who have pre-ordered I encorage you to cancel your pre-orders. Do not let these assholes ruin MW2 for the PC community.

Here are some links for you to check out where you can join in the rioting:

* RAGE ON STEAM FORUMS

* RAGE ON CSNATION

* RAGE ON BASHANDSLASH

* SIGN THE PETITION HERE

For all you console gamers out there please understand where PC gamers are coming from. Yes, I know that these things are the way the game has been for you since the start but for us, it hasn’t. We pay lots of money to keep our gaming computers up to date with the latest hardware. We take great pride in our mods and competitive play. What IW has basically done here is kill it all off in the hopes they can make a few extra dollars from us. I really don’t know how to explain it to console gamers who have never played PC or know anything about PC gaming. If you’re a casual/weekend only gamer then the latest news about this means pretty much nothing to you. If you’re like me and many others who play Call of Duty daily or almost daily this news completely kills everything about MW2 and basically locks us into COD4 all so IW can try and make a few bucks off map packs and other downloaded content. I really expected better than this from IW, I am VERY disappointed.

I for one am TIRED of COD4 and I was really excited about MW2 and now this. I encorage everyone who has MW2 pre-ordered to cancel their order to make a statement.

PC gamers: welcome to the realm of console gaming if this news is indeed true....

now, while i have no problems with VAC (even if there are multiple storys of bannings for no reason) the lack of dedicated servers and customizable content is a bitch!! wave goodbye to any sort of competitive play, which was something which made cod4 so great imo.

out of spite for what they have done i would have cancelled my pre-order, except that i refuse to pre-order games, so yeah...

so, what does everyone else think?? who's going to cancel there pre-orders?? sure the game may still have an awesome singleplayer campaign, but the main reason i would have bought it for was Multiplayer, which just got ruined.

EDIT: shit, forgot to change the undertitle thing. sorry!!

Edited by G-relk

Killed by piracy is just a convenient excuse. The whole thing stinks.

I never had any intention of buying this so it doesn't affect me directly. But if they get away with it, other developers may follow, which would affect us all.

I dont think it's a convenient excuse. I know plenty of people with pirated copies, who use all sorts of excuses to justify their theft. I abhor pirating games, because this is the kind of thing producers do to try and stop it. If people want to blame, then look in the mirror first. Maybe if theft wasnt so rampant then such shite solutions wouldnt be required.

It was PC that made the Call of Duty series so popular. What a great way to thank the supporters.

Now I don't want it nor the 5870 I was going to purchase to play it.

They've either stopped caring about the PC market or they're trying to make the game more accessible to casual gamers. Casual gamers play games on consoles, not on computers. If they really are trying to make things more accessible, why not just add a quick join option? It could join servers based on geographical location and a few different preferences. I think they've just gotten lazy.

Piracy on consoles is on the rise, and some would say it is easier to pirate on the medium because copy protection isn't as rampant.

It's the biggest selling shooter of all time on ALL platforms... 'piracy' is most definitely an excuse.

The pirate version will probably have these features.

Could be another L4D2 rage over nothing. not sure i care I want to see it released and read the reviews. hype and leaked preamble are not the same as the real game out on release. If we don't get real local servers the game will have unplayable pings anyway.

Mind u im over COD4 and WaW already. MW2 better rock to get me excited over it.

Get over it, it's their game. They can do whatever they want with it!

If you don't like it, DON'T BUY IT!

Thanks Dr. Science.

If IW are really going to host the servers, it's going to kill AU multi-player since the IW servers are NA based. Sounds very short sighted. If anything, it's going to encourage pirating and not discourage it.

Require online authentication through steam like TF2 does before online play. Don't squash online competitive and clan gaming. It's just craziness.

Unfortunately PC gaming has been heading this way for a while.

I dont understand how its supposed to deter piraters though? I mean, having it being steam based, yeah that will help, but taking away Ded servers and mod support? GTFO. Is it supposed to stop people using some kind of hacked server patch? I seem to remember hearing about cod4 having some "hacks" that allowed pirated copies to be played on select servers? kinda like SWAT4.

The best way to fight piracy would be to have steam verify the persons serial even to play single player.

that or have a double serial verification process where the users gets issued a serial in the box and another barcode number on their receipt that they have to input and which gets checked against the IW servers as the open the game.

Killed by piracy is just a convenient excuse. The whole thing stinks.

Agree, the majority of those who pirate the game would never have bought it anyway and I know of at least 4 people who will most likely get a pirated copy now instead of the legal version, if the MP is as munted as it sounds, especially the LAN side.

• IW has control of the game

No real problem with that

• IWnet servers will host multiplayer

As has been said, no local servers = forget online MP in AU/NZ and most of Asia.

• DLC will be a charged item for PC

If the DLC is large enough or cheap enough not such a big issue

IE a map pack for $5.00 or $10.00 providing it had plenty of maps would be ok.

But this will lead to players who do not want to buy them not being able to play on the official servers when they have them in rotation. IE they would become compulsory purchases if you want to keep playing MP online.

• No dedicated servers <– WTF?

Stupid stupid stupid but does line up with point one as far as total control goes.

• Matchmaking system used to play with similarly ranked players

This seems to work ok for Battlefield heroes from what I have heard.

• VAC instead of PB

No issues with that VAC seems to work ok despite some limited complaints to the contrary, but there really does need to be a dispute system for disputed bans.

• Semi-capable password servers

WTF does that mean?

• Semi-capable ad-hoc servers

WTF does that mean? Totally munted LAN servers?

• Competitive play is dead <– good job IW, idiots.

Doubt it.

• MW2 mods would not be possible

That is really really stupid, mods often keep a game alive well past it's normal use by date.

• Full integration into Steam

No problems with that.

Always 1 guy who says this ... today, you are THAT GUY.

Pretty shitty news I must say, way to fuck the PC release of this game up. But hey whilst we're blaming things that aren't true, I also blame this on Terrorism and the Bush Administration of yester-year.

aliali, while I agree with just about everything you've said, I dont see how competitive play could be seriously possible for MW2. If an ISP or a Ladder cant host a server, then the clan wars are just about gone from the game.

Edited by nukejockey

I dont think it's a convenient excuse. I know plenty of people with pirated copies, who use all sorts of excuses to justify their theft. I abhor pirating games, because this is the kind of thing producers do to try and stop it. If people want to blame, then look in the mirror first. Maybe if theft wasnt so rampant then such shite solutions wouldnt be required.

Maybe developers and publishers should be trying to do 2 things:

1) Try to turn pirates into potential customers with value added services and great community management.

2) Not piss off people who were going to buy it and turn them into potential pirates by removing much needed PC features.

What would you do? Try to keep and gain more customers, or try and block pirates by limiting the game for your real customers?

There are already a couple of companies that are starting to think this way. Valve for one.

What exactly is the problem?

There will still be MP wont there? YES.

Will it be good? YES.

Will problems in MP be patched pretty quick if found? YES.

Everything else is just la di da di da. I do not believe for a moment that IW with all its experience would actually screw up MP in the PC version.

COD4 is one of the most hacked games in the world. Its incredible how many people use cheats onlline. Punkbuster has shown itself useless in stemming the tide, catching only a small percentage anyway (usually the ones who dont update hax in time for the next PB update).

The other problem was that PB and COD4 when detecting cheats didnt ban the account, just the name. Hacker could just start a new account. I really think that these issues were starting to bother IW. By having more control and by using VAC i believe that the use of hax will be reduced.

The shift to VAC is clearly an attempt to remedy this. In my experience most people who dispute a ban were in fact cheating or exploiting anyway and still think they can get away with it. The chance of you being banned if you are behvaing yourself is pretty low and indeed 'negligible' at best.

In my mind the only people complaining about the 'changes' are people who would either pirate the game and or uses hacks in online games. I do not pirate games, and I do not use hacks. Therefore I have no objection to anything that IW is doing.

I have no objections to anti piracy measures as long as they do unduly negatively affect legitimate purchasers.

And I have absolutely no objections to anything that will attempt to reduce the amount of cheating.

In my mind the only people complaining about the 'changes' are people who would either pirate the game and or uses hacks in online games. I do not pirate games, and I do not use hacks. Therefore I have no objection to anything that IW is doing.

That's one of the more ignorant thoughts I've read on this matter.

Do you think the likes of Quake, Half-Life and Unreal series of games would still be played today if it wasn't for dedicated servers and the ability to mod the game? IW is removing that ability and because people are complaining about it, you're classing them all as cheaters and pirates.

well fuck me that just sux . Ive spoken with all the members of the clan im in we play online m/p and enjoy the competion with other clans well thats all gone for us . All the members ive spoken to have cancelled there pre order of this one and not happy at no clan servers etc wtf if we all wanted to play consoles shit games we wouldnt have powerfully pc etc to play games . Well heres a link to sign petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

I agree yes piracy has killed this but fuck me what about the real players etc ...GRRRRRRR

as for hacking in the clan im if we use hacks or caught using them we are banned ...full stop

P.S just a quick note i was signature number 35288 on this :)

Edited by morgs36

It's the biggest selling shooter of all time on ALL platforms... 'piracy' is most definitely an excuse.

This is what I don't get, it's the biggest selling game (so I would assume it's made a fuck load), but they still feel like they need to (potentially) cripple the game.

I guess they aren't earning enough money huh.