index680i

Movie Project 3/3/09

3/3/9 was always unrealistic for something this grand.

index - where are your ideas coming from? I'm not talking about inspiration - it's no surprise that many people find the Eiffel Tower inspirational. The source of your ideas is important, as they will inform your goals and tell you something about how achievable they are.

My recommendation is to watch short films. Lots of them. Get a feel for what makes a good impression in 5, 10 minutes. Maybe read about the creators and the creative process, specific and generally. Chaos.Lady is doing this and taking it seriously as an academic pursuit (and probably a career path). Whether or not you choose that path, you will have to take your education in the subject of film-making seriously for this to work out for you.

It sounds like you are still inspired and burning to make this big great thing. Just remember that HS took 5 years and no doubt millions of dollars for people who were already talented, trained, qualified and experienced to create on a platform with which, admittedly, they were not completely familiar. I don't doubt that if you look it up you'll find that amongst the first things they had to do with this new system is create the tools they needed to achieve their vision. This alone is a big task.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as fired up and passionate as you are, and as much as I'd like to see you prove everybody (myself included) wrong, and even with the help of myself and other forum members, the grand project you have in mind is going to take a long, long time to do properly. IMHO 5 months isn't enough for even an original 5-minute short at this stage.

It caught my eye, the story and just how beutiful the character are really made a huge impact on the way I see things. It may seem a little strange as to how this character (Nariko, Kai, Shen and King bohan and his army) it had a wonderful story, epic I would say. It feels like each character had a story and that is why I chose to pursue this dream of being a movie maker not becuase of the gameplay or title, but the story and characters that were in it.

Nariko: Red head, 23 years old - She was born in the year of the fire horse (Which is a legend and useually someone being born in the year of the fire horse is meant to be unstopabble and can change anything it wants) very interesting how Nariko was born instead of a mortal man, a man that was mean't to be born to return the item he left behind. Instead, Nariko was born, they blame her for every loss and blamed for just about anything. Her father (Shen) which also a leader of the clan, tryied to kill her at birth but he could not but, turned her into a warrior and someday protect the Heavenly Sword, as it was the clans duty. No matter how much she got blamed and acussed for anything, she still protected and saved those who dispirsed her.

"You see, this is where I got my scource from, its that good, that epic, that it has to be done. The story has lots to telll and even just the myth of the fire horse is great and having Nariko or child born on that very morning, is truly epic. Heavenly Sword really drags you in, as it has done me and as you cann all tell, this is why I found out that movie making, is something I want to do. One day, I want to tell this story about this specific character, this person, this femail warrior.

Let alone the entire story itself.

Does this answer the question?

As apart of everything else, I think your right, I should take things to something different. The only reason I bring up, "Ill prove you wrong" is the day that I make Heavenly Sword on the big screen, this might happen in about 15 - 20 years, let alone other movies I have to direct and before that study my degree in movie making. I think you got a good point, maybe I should "Instead" start doing short movies before I target this.

However, this does not mean I stop this project but let it once again rise for when I do make it for theatrical. Beyond that, I might directing other movies and then when producing, make HS. So in my words, HS really inspried me to become a movie maker and its the story that made the big impact.

maybe I should "Instead" start doing short movies

A hundred times this.

And you've got a better chance of success coming up with a creative work of your own than trying to piggyback of a commercially middling video game. By all means be inspired by the game, but use the inspiration to create something. After reading 'Dune', it inspired me to develop proper back stories in my own writing. It did not inspire me to try and make a film out of it.

maybe I should "Instead" start doing short movies

A hundred times this.

And you've got a better chance of success coming up with a creative work of your own than trying to piggyback of a commercially middling video game. By all means be inspired by the game, but use the inspiration to create something. After reading 'Dune', it inspired me to develop proper back stories in my own writing. It did not inspire me to try and make a film out of it.

You know what and this probably the first time you will hear say this, "Your right, definatly. The only thing I can pick out that "I think" might not agree apon is the story part. I think it would make Ninja Theory happy and speaking on behalf of the team that I would make a movie in there honor, they should be very happy to see that they have someone, pursue his dream to make movies. I love the story to dam much and I would jump off a cliff if I can never achive this goal, I am sorry but, I want to make HS from a story into a movie.

I might lack, art skills, english skills but I can't back down and say that I don't have the vision to do this. When I do end up making this movie, ill make sure its the best dam movie anyone has ever seen and this includes the movie 300, I want to make sure its the best, dam thing I have ever done but this is just expressing my ture feelings here.

tbh End, and don't take this in a bad way or insulting becuase I mean and say it as good but, out of every thread I see you post in "Particualy in mine" I can see that your really healpin me out here, I can see the level of careness working and this is awesome seeing this come from you. Despite all the back kickings we both had, I got to say, thank you :)

Thanks Ch.Lady. Ill drop in a line soon, if there is anything you would like to recommend, please tell me what type of books I should be looking at I keep looking for cinematography

Grab yourself a copy of Martha Mollison's "producing videos - a complete guide (second edition)". It's an excellent resource. If you have trouble getting a copy let me know.

I'll hunt up about a dozen websites you should read and take note of as well.

While you are waiting for all that get a list of story ideas you think would make a great short video, slam it down on a text editor of some sort and PM me when you've done it. I'll give you my e-mail address and you can send them to me and I'll go through them and make some notes for you.

Thanks Ch.Lady. Ill drop in a line soon, if there is anything you would like to recommend, please tell me what type of books I should be looking at I keep looking for cinematography < I hope that is the right way to say it :)

Grab yourself a copy of Martha Mollison's "producing videos - a complete guide (second edition)". It's an excellent resource. If you have trouble getting a copy let me know.

I'll hunt up about a dozen websites you should read and take note of as well.

While you are waiting for all that get a list of story ideas you think would make a great short video, slam it down on a text editor of some sort and PM me when you've done it. I'll give you my e-mail address and you can send them to me and I'll go through them and make some notes for you.

Can I buy it from Amazon? cuase this wekk I am buying a load of books for film making and I plan to read them all.

Send me through that list of ideas and we'll have a look at that even before you get your books.

Send me through that list of ideas and we'll have a look at that even before you get your books.

What ideas are we talking about though? Equipment, The movie or these books? cheers, cause then ill know what to say in the pm :)

None. Your story ideas. What you want to film.

Go back and re-read my posts. Especially this quote:

Yes, short is where you start.

Actually short is where you start before you start. Then you start looking at ideas for short interesting pieces. Then you ditch the crap and come up with something that others will find interesting. Then you start working on it.

PM me if you want a hand working through some ideas.

You are looking at now developing a short piece. You need doable ideas for it. Look around you. Look at what is accessable and might be interesting. Look outside the house. Look around you at LIFE.

Then put some of that passion you have into some story ideas. Sell me on something.

If you want to direct, fine. I'll be your producer. And any director will tell you that you have to really sell it to the producer before any project gets off the ground.

edit: cause I need a damn coffee...

None. Your story ideas. What you want to film.

Go back and re-read my posts. Especially this quote:

Yes, short is where you start.

Actually short is where you start before you start. Then you start looking at ideas for short interesting pieces. Then you ditch the crap and come up with something that others will find interesting. Then you start working on it.

PM me if you want a hand working through some ideas.

You are looking at now developing a short piece. You need doable ideas for it. Look around you. Look at what is accessable and might be interesting. Look outside the house. Look around you at LIFE.

Then put some of that passion you have into some story ideas. Sell me on something.

If you want to direct, fine. I'll be your producer. And any director will tell you that you have to really sell it to the producer before any project gets off the ground.

edit: cause I need a damn coffee...

Done! Ill start taking notes down and typing in Word, PM should be tonight though :P PS: I need a coffie now that you said that :P just got out of bed.

So hows it going?

Rob.

Well is here is how 1 out of 3 simultaneous projects I have to do are going if it's any consellation...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So hows it going?

Rob.

Its going good thank you :) Nothing major has happend but I am still, waiting on my stuff :S lol. I just got a couple of books from amazon (7 books) One of them is on how to make a "Feature Film under 10 grand and not go to jail" I am serious, thats what one of the titles is called. I shall read all of it and theres a couple of books that explain the Shot by shot and lighting ect... I shall read all of those to. Once I get it in my head, ill be getting even more books to read. I am really taking this movie making theroy, seriosuly. I want to make movies :) Its hard but I do find it challanging and fun as well.

I am not holding this project down as i said before but I am thinking about putting it on hold for s hort while, I plan to do some short movies, good ones to.

PS: I am lazy I know, but someone out there might care to help in finding camera equipment :) Is there any store or online place that sells Crew equipment? Not looking for the state of the art but something that will show decent enough detail.

I'm still frantic at Uni, so I haven't gotten back to you yet index, however you are going to have to come up with a few things and not just one.

You need to flesh out the ideas a bit as well on HOW the idea might be achievable, what shots you might need, how you want it to look. Don't forget you are going short. I'd like to see you map out around 5 minutes of footage and no more than that.

Send that lot to me and I'll have a look at it over the next day or so.