mohawk

Games that work/don't work on Windows 7

Starcraft (1) doesn't work on Windows 7. Aside from the screwed up colors, it'll occasionally lock up mid-game requiring you to hard shut down.

The only way I've been able to play Starcraft on Windows 7 without that happening is by playing the game in safe mode. Which works great since I figured out how to enable sound in safe mode.

Edited by maximumelastic

Starcraft (1) doesn't work on Windows 7. Aside from the screwed up colors, it'll occasionally lock up mid-game requiring you to hard shut down.

The only way I've been able to play Starcraft on Windows 7 without that happening is by playing the game in safe mode. Which works great since I figured out how to enable sound in safe mode.

I have details on how to get this working properly - will post when I get home.

Full details can be found here: http://siliconsports.net/2010/10/starcraft-on-windows-7/

To get the original StarCraft running well on W7U64 I use the following in a batch file to run the game (SC.bat)

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"D:\Games (x86)\Blizzard\StarCraft\Starcraft.exe"
start explorer.exe
Of course modify it to your directory structure.

This will fix up the 8 bit colour palette and should be quite stable - I can run it for ages with no crashes.

Edited by neX

I'm gunna unsticky this one now, I reckon we're at that plateau now where most (if not all) new games work on Win7.

Cold War for PC (StarForce) does not work... AND it killed my W7 (x64) installation... had to rebuild with a backup (thank God for that!)

Battlefield 2142 works but has problems....

Got my copy working alright. But I'm on 32bit. From memory I just had to set the screen size manually for widescreen and all was good.

I'm gunna unsticky this one now, I reckon we're at that plateau now where most (if not all) new games work on Win7.

If it makes you feel better I only noticed it had been unstickied around 2 weeks ago.

Encountered same problem Cold War for PC (StarForce) at W7 after two days I finally installed it.

I couldn't be bothered trying to install it again... I am not willing to risk my PC to this *%^*^$ DRM software... no matter how good the game is.

Can't be even bothered installing it on a Virtual machine. I have shelved the game and probably sell it, or burn it or something... I am not installing this piece of cr@p. :)

Games that work

Diablo 2 + expansion

system shock 2 (needs a few mods though)

Diablo 1 + hellfire ( had to run a custom batch file to shutdown explorer upon start)

warcraft 3