index680i

Building a new machine.

Okay, first off I would like to say welcome to my latest edition of countless topics on me building a new machine, however! Its happening.

First off I am sure you would like to see what I am putting together and yes I have finally decided to buy my gear from my trustworthy Umart store ^_^v

• Intel Core i7 920
  • Samsung 1TB SATA II Silencer Series 32M
  • Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply
  • Asus P6T-SE LGA1366 X58 6DDR3 FSB2000(OC) RAID GBLAN 3xPCIE2.0 2FW ATX
  • G Skill 6G(3x2G) DDR3 PC16000 Trident (I think PC16000 means 2000Mhz?) Correct me if it is wrong!
  • Benq G2420HD 24inch Wide Full HD 2ms HDMI DVI D-Sub
  • Lian Li PC-P50R Special Designed AMD Side Window,all Red Internal
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit w 7 UPG (I find this to be a cheaper solution to the Windows 7 bullshit pricing) =P

Total Price = 2,450.

There are a couple of things I am concerned about.

• Case
  • Graphics Card
  • RAM

Case: I love the red, I am completely stunned by it, however, what are your thoughts on the design? Is it good for Professional cable management or decent overall cable management?

Graphics Card: Finding it hard to find some benchies on the ATi HD 5870 VS GTX295, so if someone could help me on what graphics card i should be grabbing for maximum performance + boosting games right all out.

RAM: As explained, is that specific RAM 2000Mhz? And if there are better modules for around the same price that sit at 2000Mhz please, tell me.

So yes.

That is my last and final build and I am selling my PC to some people I know personally and selling it to them and they are going to give it to their young fella who helps me out at work :)

Other than that, if anything from the above you think need changing, modifying please let me know.

I will post some pictures/ A video on the build so you can see how it all turns out, Ill even run some benchmark tests using Vantage and 3D 06 or 09 whatever version they have up front and I will absolutely be testing Crysis on it.

Couple of hypes about my graphics card purchase, once the GT300 cards arrive, ill be selling the card from this specific system so look out on trademart for a 295 or 5870 ;)

Cheers people.

(I am spending around $2,300 - $2,800 dollars max.)

Edited by index680i

If you want a comparison between the GTX295 and the HD5870, tom's has a pretty decent comparison:

ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed

It would seem that the GTX295 slightly edges out the 5870 on most games but its up to you to weigh up a few FPS against DX11, lower TDP and lower price.

As for the case, the PC-P50 is an amazing case, as with almost everything from lian-li, and you should have no problems routing the power cables behind the mobo tray. There are quite a few reviews of the original case (without the red and the custom side window) and it might be in your interest to google a few of those.

You are correct about the ram, PC-16000 is 2000MHz ram but I don't personally know anything about the tridents and how well they perform, once again... reviews might be your friend on this one, seeing what they can be clocked to and that.

If you want a comparison between the GTX295 and the HD5870, tom's has a pretty decent comparison:

ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed

It would seem that the GTX295 slightly edges out the 5870 on most games but its up to you to weigh up a few FPS against DX11, lower TDP and lower price.

As for the case, the PC-P50 is an amazing case, as with almost everything from lian-li, and you should have no problems routing the power cables behind the mobo tray. There are quite a few reviews of the original case (without the red and the custom side window) and it might be in your interest to google a few of those.

You are correct about the ram, PC-16000 is 2000MHz ram but I don't personally know anything about the tridents and how well they perform, once again... reviews might be your friend on this one, seeing what they can be clocked to and that.

True, but I don't know by looking at what people have said that the 5870 is supporting the software but not hardware in the DX11 dept. But still.... I guess.

Cheers for clearing up that PC-16000, I had a good idea, just had to make sure I was not getting 1333Mhz :P

Yes, well that case might do mighty fine and if the 5870's come out a lot cheaper then I might as well grab one and hang out for the GT300.

Video on the case right here,

I also found this to be quite helpful and to anyone looking at getting this case,

thats alot of money to be spending man make sure its really what you want when a build for $1000 less could nearly achieve the same overall performance.

having said that here is what I would if I was building a machine for a person on that kind of budget who wanted to go with a fermi gpu down the track.

-i7 860

-gigabyte P55 UD3

-4gb Gskill ripjaws 1600mhz

-Sapphire HD5770 (its decent and you won't lose a shitload of money selling it)

-Corsair HX620 psu

-Gskill falcon 64gb SSD (OS drive)

-Seagate 1tb HDD (storage)

-Pioneer dvd drive

-Benq G2420HD monitor

-Windows vista with 7 upgrade

total comes to $1819 from Umart and i left the case out because that is in the eye of the beholder, personally I don't like those cases maybe check out the silverstone FT01

pics here:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_c...=FT01&area=

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by nesquick

Cant complain with anything you've selected there. I would grab the 5870 to be honest because as time goes by you can just pick another one on the cheap and setup a crossfire rig which would be fucking great in that case.

Ram is great I wouldn't worry about G Skill they've been bringing out some really great stuff of late and really cheap too.

Case as I said is great you could probably get something cheaper but everyone is each to there own. Lian li are great cases and are fabulous to build in.

or you could take Nesquicks option because he loves the P55 chipset at the moment you will defiantly save some money going with that option.

Edited by mudg3

I'll come all the way to coolum on a bus to tell you that or stand on the maroochy river bridge with a sign.

Thanks Nesquick but I think I want to get the 1366, 920 for overclocking.

Its a good budget, really it is and its very tempting :P

SSD is not my thing yet, I am waiting until they hit 1TB or 750GB for 400 bucks, just not worth it yet in my honest opinion.

Windows 7 just came out and it is a lot cheaper than I originally anticipated so that should bring the price down and my budget is going to cover what I have.

Edited by index680i

PowerColor ATI HD5870 1G 535 similar performance to gtx295 but with dx11 and without the possible drawbacks of multi gpu but having the option of going that way quad sli\cf dosent really work that well

Zotac GTX295 $589

PowerColor ATI HD5850 1G $696 costs a bit more but great performance and crosssfire is kinda what the i7 920 is built for

tx850w is overkill and a old psu just get the hx750 if your looking at crossfire its far more than enough look at a bigger psu if you want 3-4 gpus

1156 benefits are that its cheaper and uses less power

its down sides are that it only has enough for two 8x pci-e 16x slots where as x58 can have two full speed 16x slots and that it only supports dual channel which really doesnt make that much difference

Hmm might stay 1366 then, seems to be around the same price if I was going 1156 anyways hehe, might as well stick to 1366.

The 920's are not in stock all around QLD, can someone help me on this or is there a stock out all over AUS?

How long are you willing to wait? I've got to ring a few people tomorrow I will inquire into the i7 920's shipping status for you if you would like.

How long are you willing to wait? I've got to ring a few people tomorrow I will inquire into the i7 920's shipping status for you if you would like.

That would be fantastic mate :)

Cool no worries will hopefully be able to give you an answer tomorrow.

If they are out of stock just get an 1156 one.

I've made it clear that I am sticking to 1366.

Not trying to reject but merely a choice I finally made tonight :P

I mean 1156 looks nice, cheaper, not much different in gaming performance but, however!

• Does it overclock the same or better than the 1366?
  • Triple channel DDR3
  • Faster processing than the i7? (1366)

Because "I intend" to use this PC for movie projects I need a fast CPU and to me i7 1366 can do that for me quite fine and I also down the track plan on getting one of those dell machines just full of HDD's for mass storage (In future)

I might just as well get the 5870, Eyefinity has caught my eye as I will want to eventually get a few more 24inch screens as I intended in the past but later on down the track.

Also found a new revision of the case I listed in the original post, I love the red.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12853

lol at nesquick response but im with him, I prefer the 1156 socket especially dig the i5 750.

I was checking out the i7 860 which is around the same price as the 920 and i was pretty amazed by its performance judging by PC perspectives review (<click). You can always make the argument that if they cost the same why not go for the i7 920. Well because your not going to get all that must difference in real world performance, maybe 5, 10% in some applications, but it seems like your into your gaming so its really GPU more then CPU. If you check out those benchmarks you see the 920 loses out to the 860 in quite a bit of benchmarks. I don't think overclocking is a major factor because they generally have the same potential for overclocking and it all depends on the cooler and your main computer configuration. From what i read You can save enough money with the p55 motherboard and less ram to get yourself a TRUE cooler or put it towards WC. I'm totally into absolute value for money so that's my opinion, but man do what you want its your money and in the end its your decision :P

Pro i5

Oh BTW is it just me or does that Lian Li have an AMD sticker on the window haha might be a bit silly to get that.

Edited by box124

lol at nesquick response but im with him, I prefer the 1156 socket especially dig the i5 750.

I was checking out the i7 860 which is around the same price as the 920 and i was pretty amazed by its performance judging by PC perspectives review (<click). You can always make the argument that if they cost the same why not go for the i7 920. Well because your not going to get all that must difference in real world performance, maybe 5, 10% in some applications, but it seems like your into your gaming so its really GPU more then CPU. If you check out those benchmarks you see the 920 loses out to the 860 in quite a bit of benchmarks. I don't think overclocking is a major factor because they generally have the same potential for overclocking and it all depends on the cooler and your main computer configuration. From what i read You can save enough money with the p55 motherboard and less ram to get yourself a TRUE cooler or put it towards WC. I'm totally into absolute value for money so that's my opinion, but man do what you want its your money and in the end its your decision :P

Pro i5

Oh BTW is it just me or does that Lian Li have an AMD sticker on the window haha might be a bit silly to get that.

Yeah it has an AMD logo on the side panel but the updated SE version of it is the standard window ;)

Well if 920 don't come in stock then I might as well get P55 but so hooked on triple channel memory XDD.

Excuse me being picky, I am very picky with stuff like this I go backwards and forwards all the time hehe :P

Edited by index680i

clock for clock 860 and 920 are much the same speed

overclocking 750\860 depends on your luck as the onbord pci-e can apparently hold them back and sometimes requires much higher vcore

with 920 thats just one less possible limitation

clock for clock 860 and 920 are much the same speed

overclocking 750\860 depends on your luck as the onbord pci-e can apparently hold them back and sometimes requires much higher vcore

with 920 thats just one less possible limitation

Do you think Dasa that the 920 and its triple channel memory actually makes any real world difference in gaming. Judging from benchmarks to me the 920 just doesn't hold as much value in comparison to its little brothers. i.e the i7 860 or even the i5 750

probably makes as much difference to gaming as hyperthreading dose so stuff all really imo the 860 has no benefits in gaming over the 750 the only real benefits from the 920 in gaming is 16x16x pci-e if multiple gpus are to be used and perhaps some benefits with overclocking

probably makes as much difference to gaming as hyperthreading dose so stuff all really imo the 860 has no benefits in gaming over the 750 the only real benefits from the 920 in gaming is 16x16x pci-e if multiple gpus are to be used and perhaps some benefits with overclocking

+1

Just been reading a heap.. LGA1366 seems to have cleared up what I want and good news to, 920 is back in stock ;)

Hopefully I can order some parts tonight.

Now I got all my benchmarking software ready and if no one knows SoaS? Me and him are school buddies and are building similar machines, hopefully I can get him to post his benchmarks in here as well to compare each others builds.

Hey index as I found out today the 920's came in on the boat at the end of last week and are now in stock from Ingram micro which means umart and PCCG will have them now too.