Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
SquallStrife

Good Game now has "Mass Appeal"

I've pretty much given up on junglist returning to the show, maybe he'll appear sometime on game damage with yahtzee or Ben Mansill's show.

It wasn't a flop by any means but she definitely is missing some of the detail and facts that junglist just happens to know about particular games. and I agree with slurms, she did feel a bit 'reading off the autocue' at times and unnatural.

Overall it felt very meh.

The producers/ABC haven't really handled the whole change of host all that well. Boning someone in the middle of the season because they wanted a 'refresh for 2010' and Jeremy's travel plans didn't fit with the shooting schedule for the 1h Christmas special reasoning as quoted from Amanda Duthrie seems a bit rough, or at least that's the latest explanation coming out of the ABC.

Found it a bit forced on both sides, and generally three steps back for no steps forward.

Seething.

Wrote for their facebook page but was of course denied because of character limit.

Message is as follows.

Shows being going down hill for a while IMHO but I'll get to that in a sec, first, a story.

I remember playing Age of Conan back in the middle of '08 on Bloodspire and LITERALLY RUNNING INTO a character by the name of JUNGLIST. I thought to myself:

"No... no way... it couldn't be"

Ended up sending him a pm and low and behold it's motherf#@$**# JUNGLIST!

We talked for hours and as much as this could be seen as a laughable "Oh lols met SoMEOneE FaMOUS Freom TEH INTARNETS!" the thing that really got me about Jung as a person (and hence to the benefit of the shows reputation) was that we stood there, f*!d around for hours discussing the show AS WELL AS this, that and the other and the interesting thing to note is HE ACTUALLY HAD TIME FOR HIS AUDIENCE! HE ACTUALLY GAVE A S@#t!

It wasn't just "Oh I'm an E-Celeb, F#@$ you Pleb, who are you? Don't bother me with this nonsense I'M REVIEWING!" But was actually "Hey dude, how you doing, wow I didn't realise how many people actually watched the show on here - it's crazy! Hey you wanna party up, grind this bi@#h up?"

I was like "Wait, what for real?"

He was like "Well yeah, you're a gamer aren't you?"

I was like " HELL YEAH I AM!"

"So...?"

"HELL YEAH I'LL GRIND WIT CHU! F*$# YEAH! YOU'RE AN ACTUAL REAL PERSON WHO GIVES A SH#T! Wow!"

And we did and it was too cool and we talked about all kinds of stuff including how GG started and where it's at, what the deal is for the future etc and it was great. At the end of it when we both parted ways, I was actually a little stunned.

"Wow... that's one cool dude who actually cares about the people he and his team cater for" something which I think is the mark of a truly distinguished individual (and arguably is reflected upon the higher ups as having a clue about who their target audience is, what the shows about and how to employ people - Jung - which will cater for and nurture that market).

Which brings me back to how the shows being going downhill for a while.

Bajo, great guy, not judging him personally, but some of the jokes were starting to get increasingly tedious. What's more, though the team were probably trying their best, the air time was being eaten up increasingly by jokes or skits that were, for lack of a better word, "Lame/Dull/Boring/Uninteresting". Something I had a minor gripe with, but could overlook for the actual content of the show because I enjoyed it so much and have been watching for years.

This though, replacing arguably THE host of the show (love Bajo's comic relief and relationship the two of them had, going to and fro all the time but did honestly prefer how Jung kept it straight up and down, no bull#@$%) with some random hot chick, quite frankly INSULTS me. Why? Your demographics indicate that this is a show watched primarily by young men, yes? What do young hot-blooded men (specifically within the "nerd" category) dream/talk about all day? Women, specifically hot women, hot women they believe they'll never have a chance of bonding with, right? So you go ahead and ask the question "Well how can we get more viewership, what would attract a larger audience?" and the answer, given the statistics regarding how the show is primarily recieved by dudes is " I KNO! LET'S PUT A HOT GAMER CHICK IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA AS A HOST, BECAUSE ALL MEN RESPOND TO HOT CHICKS AMIRITE GAIZ?!! RITE?!?!" which insults me because I'm a young male and I don't. A pretty face is just that, a pretty face, big whoop. So REALLY when you break it down, it's just a marketting strategy, you assume I'm not going to mind the fact that you've just replaced arguably THE key player of the show, who's opinions and reviews ARE VALUABLE TO ME, YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE for... some hot blonde (and hot, she is) who in a second will bat her eyelids and curve her smile to "lull" me into a state of apathy (about the fact that you just replaced THE host of the show with some random "cute" blonde for viewership) because "I'm male AND THATS WHAT MALES DO RITE GAIZ?!?!"

Wrong.

I don't need you to make decisions for me about what it is that I would like to see and hear. I was more than happy with Junglist as a host, his input was THOROUGH and INSIGHTFUL when it comes to games, and that's what the show has always been about, GAMES AND GAMING CULTURE, not "HOW CAN WE MAKE MORE MONEY AND AT THE SAME TIME, SUBTLY NOT DISTURB OUR AUDIENCE CAUSE THEY'RE ALL ONE-TRACK-MINDED RIGHT?!"

So... here's the part where I tell you that I'm boycotting your show and further point out that what you wanted to obtain (viewership) is exactly what you just lost. See, and here's the thing boneheads, if I wanted plain and simple reviews about games or consoles or what have you, do you REALLY think I would come first and foremost to your show/site? Do you have ANY IDEA how much information on said topic MANY PARTS OF THE INTERNET spout DAILY, ranging from the mediocre, to the epitome of depth? Hmm? I was watching because I VALUED YOUR HOSTS' OPINIONS, because I wanted to hear what THEY had to say, not what some random dude living in his mum's basement all the way over in central America thinks but because these are guys I LIKE and CAN RELATE TO and furthermore because they were clued in, switched on and well, hell, just because I LIKED THEM.

And now you remove them (Jung), like this? After how many years? Without barely a word in parting?

Good work hotshot and I'd like you to think about just how big the internet REALLY is the next time you want to dictate to your audience what you think it is they want to see and hear and whilst doing so, in effect, completely offside them because, and this is a key point, I CAN GO ELSEWHERE.

You'll have to pardon me for being so "Punny" but I think this is arguably the best way to end this letter,

"GG".

*Ahem*

Yes I'm angry. Yes I think it's bullshit. No, I will not continue watching Good Game on account of this PLUS (and this is probably something I should have addressed in the above) If they were simply looking to go all PC and equalise the gender pool within the show, WHAT ABOUT REI? Huh? What? Rhetorically, I ask, "Why the need to do this" and as already discussed, I already know the answer and I completely disagree with it.

GB

EDIT:

Jesus Christ, the more I look into it the more I fucking hate it.

Check this out (probably been posted before):

http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message...p;dm=1&pd=3

Then this:

http://www2b.abc.net.au/tmb/Client/Message...p;dm=1&pd=3

(Nazi much? In lieu of such a thing, one sec...

there we go)

It's just spastically fucking ridiculous, I can't even begin to comprehend. I feel like someone needs to take the stress ball from my hand, replace it with a hand grip training device to the point where after releasing all this rage on those poor motherfucking springs, I can then walk into that office and crush the motherfucking BRAINS out of those producers and corporate execs (AND I'VE DEALT WITH PRODUCERS BEFORE).

God fucking damn it! X@

Edited by Ghost_Bear

Jeebus GB, not reeeeeeeally worth gettin that het up about...

Watching now, certainly not too bad, and at least her post(s) on the board clarify that that audition tape was for a kids' channel, vs Good Game, which certainly explains the over-the-top silliness (which as I say seems to be what networks want from kids' show hosts).

I only watched it sporadically in the past, so I'm hardly in a position to offer any real comparison, but it isn't too grating/annoying so far.

There's a few folk going bananas at poor Hex because she's stepped in to fill Jung's absence, but it's no different to anybody else filling a role/position when it becomes open (that sounds unseemly), SHE was not responsible for Jung being pushed out, that happened, and they needed another host, and so far she seems like a pretty good choice (even if marketing/wider appeal DID factor into it, but to say unequivocally that it did is unfounded and pretty sexist IMO).

Sure, be pissed at the situation, but not at Hex, it's not her fault, and she appears to be gracious and doing her best to do her best, and so far she's got promise.

Edited by Thylacine

I think she's a good host, and I'm not going to be throwing any hate her way.

I will say that Junglist will be missed ... greatly. By myself and other people I know who watched the show, and it angers me to no end that Junglist didn't get to leave on his own terms, but someone elses ... truly sad.

I only wish that there was at least one more game review in it.

Agree..did not help that the Kingdom Hearts "game" was crap.

I did like the segment about the 400 rules thing...interesting

I think she's a good host, and I'm not going to be throwing any hate her way.

I will say that Junglist will be missed ... greatly. By myself and other people I know who watched the show, and it angers me to no end that Junglist didn't get to leave on his own terms, but someone elses ... truly sad.

Well said :-)

I know that those of us out in mortalland don't really know what happened behind the scenes, and that's cool, but I was disappointed to hear it may not have been Jung's decision and it's not something I've heard countered so I am guessing it might have a degree of truth. The man put in the hard yards for the show, hell, I love his style, call me a fangirl if you will but I do respect him as a presenter and a reviewer, so to have him move on was always going to be disappointing for me as a viewer no matter the terms.

I watched the show last night, I can't see how Hex did a bad job. Sure, there will be an adjustment period for all involved but that's the way of such things. Things like rapport and banter stand a very good chance at improving as the team continues to work together, as well as Hex getting more comfortable in front of the camera, so in many ways, some things stand to only get better from here :-) I remember something Flouncy said earlier in the thread about the producing staff being very passionate about the well-being of the show, and that makes sense to me.

Someone on last night's show liked or likes the colour pink, though, and that's just not for me :-)

I will be honest, though, one of the things I liked about the show early on was the informal, conversational feel and the relaxed style that felt more like a conversation between mates at a LAN party. This is something I feel the show has been moving slightly away from whilst ramping up the skits, silliness and general shine and polish. It's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it may be a very smart move and ultimately pull more viewers (and the show going from strength to strength is good for the gaming industry, gamers and tech media in general). However, it's also not necessarily exactly what I'm looking for in a gaming show. This is something I've felt for a while, so it's not like I would ragequit over the recent turn of events, although I do think bringing in Hex has ramped up the skit'n'polish aspects so I will just be seeing how things go for a while.

All up, a bit of a low-key send off for Junglist and a fairly successful start for Hex, I'd have to say. I hope the show can grow from here :-)

edit:

Yeah, I did think that was interesting.

I wasn't a fan of the visual style, though, with the conversation snippets being written on the screen every 3 seconds. It drove me crazy! Great segment, though, very interesting :-)

Edited by elvenwhore

Yeah, I did think that was interesting.

I wasn't a fan of the visual style, though, with the conversation snippets being written on the screen every 3 seconds. It drove me crazy! Great segment, though, very interesting :-)

Reminded me of a NIB advert or similar...

*Yakkity yak*

replacing arguably THE host of the show [...] with some random hot chick

*More yakking*

I KNO! LET'S PUT A HOT GAMER CHICK IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA AS A HOST, BECAUSE ALL MEN RESPOND TO HOT CHICKS AMIRITE GAIZ?!! RITE?!?!

*Yak yak yak*

Oh, because the only way a woman could possibly be chosen as a television presenter would be if she's hot. Christ some people are ignorant.

Yes, she's a girl. Yes, she's hot. However, she clearly has a brain, and worked reasonably well with Bajo on what was her first ever GG episode, far from the "random hot chick" you seem to think she is.

To me, the overwhelming reaction (certain individuals excluded, you know who you are) seems to have been "Hurr durr she's a hot grrl so obviously she was chosen for her looks and gender", when she obviously loves games with a passion and seems to have a bright personality.

Of course that's not to say that her looks played no part whatsoever, but factor != reason, and some people just don't seem to be able to grasp this concept.

I agree that Junglist was a good host, however I also think that the show needed a bit of freshening up also.

I agree that Junglist was a good host, however I also think that the show needed a bit of freshening up also.

I agree, but I still think they dropped the wrong host. Hell, they could have kept both the guys and replaced Rei - she's be a bit of a non-entity so far. It'd be good to have someone cluey and with spark in that slot.

I actually like Bajo's whacky antics, I guess teenagers are his audience tho. But last nights show was appalling, if they absolutely HAD to have her they should've done the aforementioned "roster" thing.

I'd still tap that ;P

Yes, she's a girl. Yes, she's hot. However, she clearly has a brain, and worked reasonably well with Bajo on what was her first ever GG episode, far from the "random hot chick" you seem to think she is.

How many ugly bitches do you see on TV?

Posted Image

[ img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aceandvis/paris-hilton-001.jpg[ /img]

Shes not exactly 9.5/10, but shes a fair stretch from ugly.

'

[ img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aceandvis/paris-hilton-001.jpg[ /img]

Shes not exactly 9.5/10, but shes a fair stretch from ugly.

'

Ugh I would rather do it with a blender than that.

So just so I'm clear, given the choice of either fucking Paris Hilton or a blender, you'd willingly mutilate your genitals?

'

She has some thunderous thighs. I hate her bring back Jung! WTF I was just starting to really like Good Game.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

*EDIT*

Just got to the end of the episode. I don't really hate her I just don't like that the guy who actually plays "the vidoegames" is gone.

It's because he was fat wasn't it. I wonder if she really games and if so for how long really. She is pretty fucking onto this presenting caper though what has she been on before if anything?

I am sure everyone will forget in a few weeks, poor fucker just hit 100 shows too. That must be a totally crushing thing to have happen to you.

The only full show presenter on a popular show about videogames access to all things awesome then pow replaced by someone with a smaller set of tits.

Edited by Pantsmonkey

So just so I'm clear, given the choice of either fucking Paris Hilton or a blender, you'd willingly mutilate your genitals?

'

Well, either it's done quickly, or through a long and wasting case of syphilis :P

Watched it.

It's not the same.

She's a good presenter, but the grounding force for Bajo has been lost. Also they both have girl voices now.

I quite liked it. I thought she did well and given some time i'm sure everything will come together.

Hopefully Junglist moves on to bigger and better things.

Damn, where did my post go??

*sigh*

in short: not disappointed, looking forward to next week. I'd still prefer my rotating roster idea, and I'll miss Jung - but this is not the disaster it could have been. She's a good injection of "new"

Hopefully Junglist moves on to bigger and better things.

There isn't any such thing on Aus TV.

OK, so maybe a commercial network will pick him up, I see it now...

Infomercial style show like that Cyber Puke that Channel 10 drips out.

Give him a script, no game may be criticised too deeply as it'll offend the sponsor/s. No game gets any score under 7.