Mrbeef69

8800gt is dead Now what?

Ok Brief description of my issue....

Have been running two 8800GT's in SLI for approx six months, GPU fan failed on one and it is now dead.....

Looking like XFX is going to replace it with a 9800GT as the 8800GT is now discontinued...

I havent really been keeping up to date with the latest and greatest however

My question is this.. what option is best?

1. Sell off both the old 8800GT and the new 9800GT add a bit of cash then invest in something like a 280GTX

2. Sell the 8800GT and buy another 9800GT

3. Sell the 9800GT and try and find another 8800GT

OR 4. For the ATI fanboys.... Upgrade my whole system and join the dark side.....

Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated

Errr....I think this belongs in GPU's....

Your right .. My Mistake but i can't for the life of me work out how to delete the thread.....?

Your right .. My Mistake but i can't for the life of me work out how to delete the thread.....?

You can't with this forum board unfortunately.

Go to your post at the top, and click "report!" and say you've accidently posted in the wrong section and ask if it could be moved to GPU's ;)

It all depends on what you require the hardware to do, how much you want to spend or whether you want CF-X/SLI.

Is there a reason you want to upgrade, just 'cos you can or because you need to?

It all depends on what you require the hardware to do, how much you want to spend or whether you want CF-X/SLI.

Is there a reason you want to upgrade, just 'cos you can or because you need to?

I never really planned on upgrading it was sort of forced upon me with the failure of one of the cards ... I was planning on keeping my 8800GTs at least until the

end of the year ... The no. 4 option was just a bit bait for the ATI boys so not really planning on going there.. But with Far Cry 2 , the new Red Alert and the new

COD coming out soon I would Like my SLI back up and running... Price isnt an issue but that being said I'm not just going to go out and buy 2X 280GTX's

just for the fun of it.... That is unless someone can convince me otherwise

I Also did read somewhere that because the 8800GT and the 9800GT are essenscially the same card minus the die shrink

that it could be possible the flash the 9800 with a 8800 bios and still run them in SLI...

This could be option 5 ... anyone have any expertise on this?

Right..

So basically you've already decided that you want two Nvidia cards, specifically two GTX280's, and really don't care for advice, just confirmation on your seemingly already made choice?

If your just upgrading because you want to, there isn't really much point in debating which card/cards to purchase. Just get whatever you want, which is obviously a couple of GTX280's, plus you've already got a SLI capable M/B.

Two GTX280's in SLI is certainly going to be enough power for Farcry 2.

[EDIT]

I Also did read somewhere that because the 8800GT and the 9800GT are essenscially the same card minus the die shrink

that it could be possible the flash the 9800 with a 8800 bios and still run them in SLI...

This could be option 5 ... anyone have any expertise on this?

Yes, it's possible for a 8800GT and 9800GT to function in SLI mode.

You can't with this forum board unfortunately.

Go to your post at the top, and click "report!" and say you've accidently posted in the wrong section and ask if it could be moved to GPU's ;)

Yep that is the right way.

Simply reposting the thread is not the best way.

Have patience and we will get to your RTM and move the thread to the right place.

Right..

So basically you've already decided that you want two Nvidia cards, specifically two GTX280's, and really don't care for advice, just confirmation on your seemingly already made choice?

If your just upgrading because you want to, there isn't really much point in debating which card/cards to purchase. Just get whatever you want, which is obviously a couple of GTX280's, plus you've already got a SLI capable M/B.

I don't think you read the OP?

It's not that he wants to upgrade, one of his cards failed and it is being replaced under warranty with a 9800gt, so instead of having an 8800gt lying around gatehring dust he was asking Atomics oppion on what he should do.

I personally would sell the 8800gt for some extra cash and jsut run a 9800gt and then upgrade to a better card down the track, but i've never been a supporter of SLi or Crossfire.

Right..

I don't think you read the OP?

It's not that he wants to upgrade, one of his cards failed and it is being replaced under warranty with a 9800gt, so instead of having an 8800gt lying around gatehring dust he was asking Atomics oppion on what he should do.

I personally would sell the 8800gt for some extra cash and jsut run a 9800gt and then upgrade to a better card down the track, but i've never been a supporter of SLi or Crossfire.

Glad to see some sense here, If I had of decided on what I wanted I would have gone out and bought it , It's just that AtomicMpc was my first stop before doing

some reasearch of my own... Just because I could go out and buy 2 280GTX's doesnt mean I nesicerally want to waste my money on hardware that gives

me great benchmarks but doesnt justify increase in game performance....

open your eyes to the way of the dark side

we have the best performing graphics card atm :P

seriously tho, your prolly just better off selling the 8800gt while it still has some value left in it and keeping your new 9800gt as a single card.

+1 to G-relk, but the fastest solution is GTX 280 SLI/Tri-SLI, lol. Have you seen that crazy skulltrail benchmark with 4870X2 CF vs GTX 280 Tri-SLI? Insane, lol.

@OP: I reckon you should sell the 8800GT while it has some value, then keep the 9800GT and buy a GTX 260/280. Use the 9800GT as a dedicated PhysX card, or for multiple monitor support (think, like, 3+).

Beware the reds under the bed... They will trade high benchmark scores for your soul...

With the prices now, I'm tempted to turn to the dark side with a pair of 4850s. If my x38 had 2x16 instead of 1x16 and 1x8 I'd have already done so. :)

9800gtx and 9800gtx+ can work together in sli

since 9800gt is the same as 8800gt the only thing that could stop them working in sli is the name so maybe its doable?

if not well i killed my lovely 8800gt 1g that was clocked to 850c and about 2000 shader\mem and went to 4870x2 its a great card for $650

/Stokes 4870X2, *ouch, is hot

oh right, this is about you :P

I'd say sell it, keep the 9800GT for a bit and sell it off and buy a GTX290 when they comes out (November apparently).

Though a 4870X2 for a similar price would be a better deal ;)