Sign in to follow this  
ROUBOS

Any thoughts ? Keep having to clear CMOS...

Hi,

I've had the same computer for over 6 years.

It was all fine.. no problems at all.

Just that lately the computer does not start up because it does not recognize my HDD on IDE mode.

So I clear the CMOS, get into BIOS change the mode from RAID to IDE and boot up again.

It does not happen every day, but it does happens ever once in a while. like a few weeks.

I think I do have the latest BIOS for my mobo, and I had it the same many years now.

What could it be causing this? The mode change in the BIOS?

Thanks

AMD Athlon 64 3500+

ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo

4Gb RAM

Saphire Radeon X1950 Pro 512mb AGP

SoundBlaster Audigy

Seagate HDD

OK thanks.

that must be it. Any similar battery will do? Or do I need specifically an computer store ???

Yep - most chemists keep them. Should be the 3V disc type - the barrel type (1/3 AAA or 1/3 AA) went out longer than 6 years ago from memory.

I get mine from the local newsagent as they are the same as used in hearing aids, calculators and god knows what else. Number will be something like CR2032 or DL2032. Just a normal 3V disk battery.

OK, so I changed the battery and all was working well... until now.

Got the same problem.

So I looked at my ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo manual.

I have two SATA HDDs. I have no RAID setup. One has WindowsXP and the other Debian Linux.

Anyway....

I have them connected on the two SATA_RAID connectors on the mobo.

I see that there are also two SATA connectors on the mobo. (4 in total, 2 are RAID and 2 just SATA)

I changed them over since I am not using RAID and they are not getting connected.

According to the manual, there is no HOT PLUG support on the plain SATA connectors.

had to put them back to the RAID SATA connectors, flash the BIOS, get into the BIOS and set them on IDE Operation mode to get into my computer.

Was getting errors like "No Array is defined" etc...

What could be the problem?

I got the latest working BIOS for this mobo, (there is also a BETA version which is new but did not try it since its beta still)

I don't want RAID operations but the simple SATA connectors are not Hot Plug. Does that mean that I cannot boot off them?

And how come the mobo is loosing its settings?

your response is appreciated... I cannot afford a new system.. .not right now :(

Don't think the mobo is losing settings, it's likely reverting the settings automatically as it detects hardware on POST.

Just plug your two HDDs into the two standard SATA ports; don't use the RAID_SATA ports unless you're setting up a RAID "array."

"HOT PLUG" support sounds to me like "hot swappable" ... which means that you can unplug and replace the devices without powering down the system. This hot swappable option is only useful in a RAID array when replacing one of the drives with an empty drive. Speculation on my part, but that's what I'm seeing here.

I see that there are also two SATA connectors on the mobo. (4 in total, 2 are RAID and 2 just SATA)

I changed them over since I am not using RAID and they are not getting connected.

Probably because your sata ports where in sata mode and windows does not know to load the drivers for that controller on boot.

had to put them back to the RAID SATA connectors, flash the BIOS, get into the BIOS and set them on IDE Operation mode to get into my computer.

If you had set the other sata controllers to IDE mode then you would have been able to boot up, providing you set those ports to be part of the boot check sequence.

OK I put my drives on the normal SATA ports. restarted, flashed the BIOS, and put them on IDE mode.

Windows booted and its asking for the Promise SATA console SCSI Processor Device driver... \

Downloaded it from ASUS but it does not seem to be the right one. Not even on the mobo CD...

did it again even thought the drives are in the right SATA ports :(

a format might fix them since I need to hit F6 and install SATA drivers ....

6 years old, huh?

- could be you're got power "issues" that's now making things go silly. Swap the power supply of something bigger.

- might be the onset of Puffy Cap Syndrome.

- might be time to look at re-flashing the BIOS with the same version perhaps, seen a few weird-arse system faults magically fixed by doing that...