Sign in to follow this  
AMD AKIMBO

x58 ud5 raid troubles

i have just upgraded my array to 6 1.5 tb drives and have found if i use 5 drives in raid 5 i get a total of 5.5tb usable however if i use all 6 drives in raid 5 it shows up as 432 gig this is in the raid bios and windows.

im running f8 bios and standard frimware for the controller (cant find newer version).

i have googled and found nothing so i guess i have to settle on a 5.5tb array and a 1.5 for boot, just thought i would warn anyone with this board wanting to make a big array.

any ideas or input ?

That is a strange one.

My suggestion would be something is wrong with that last disk you are trying to add.

Have you tried formatting spare disk? Does it come up with the expected size? I've seen new HDDs do some strange things, like show up irregular data sizes, as RAID 5 total size is - [smallest disk size x (number of disks -1) = RAIDsize]

if you have a funny disk in there I could imagine it would do some strange things when trying to build, although this seems highly unlikely.

Interestingly, BIOS version F8 is not available for download on the gigabyte website, perhaps it was way too buggy? There is a beta F9, and F7. I'd say try rolling back to F7 and to build the RAID again.

have tried both bios f9 and f7 with no luck.

i am using the last 1.5 as a boot drive off the same controller as a non raid disk, all exactly the same drive and all working fine its got me beat.

i must say these seagate drives are alot noisier than my old wd drives.

Thats so strange, I just cant imagine that a board over 6 months old would still have troubles like that.

Theroetically speaking RAID5 can have an infinite number of disks, but have you checked the manual to see what that controller handles? Also, are all 10 Sata ports on the ud5 RAID enabled?

Another thing you could try is a software RAID, to determine if its the controller or the disks giving you the grief.

Wish I could be more help but it's got me stumped!

the board has 2 different controllers on it a six port and a four port, the four port only does raid 0 or 1

the six port does raid 0,1,5,10

i will have to live with it with a 5 drive array because i already have all my data on it.

thanks for the ideas guys.