Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
bowlen

New Magic Mouse

I just received my magic mouse today and i must say, it is awesome!

Scrolling is awesome, and the feel is just great!

Everyone should get one!

Everyone shouldnt get one. Im still finding it hard to use 2 mouse buttons. I find myself have to use two hands to click somtimes.

I've only had a brief play with a display unit, but it looks awesome, and the scrolling seems to be very well implemented. There's a few things I would have done differently though. I would have preferred dedicated buttons/touch sensors for forwards & backwards buttons as the left and right 2 finger swipe felt a bit awkward, and it would have been nice to have 2 finger swipes up and down activate expose. I'm hoping they'll add some extra gesture support with updates.

Probably going to get one in November when the 27" with an i5 comes out.

I am really liking it. Would have been cool if they had those 2 side buttons like on the Mighty Mouse, but still, its pretty damn sweet

I've been using one since I setup the new iMacs. So had a bit of time with them, not too keen just yet.

That said, I was the same with the multi touch trackpads on the macbooks, now I can't live without it :P

Hopefully it grows on me, but initial impressions aren't good.

Do they have left and right click?

and can you use them on a pc?

They have both left and right (obv)

not sure if they work on pc

It's not obvious to most PC users, who are used to Macs having single click only.

It's not obvious to most PC users, who are used to Macs having single click only.

Its been a while since macs didn't have right click

Yes sorry the only macs i have used is the "e" mac? at school, that had 1 click and one of the laptop ones that sister has, and that just has 1 long button..

Yes sorry the only macs i have used is the "e" mac? at school, that had 1 click and one of the laptop ones that sister has, and that just has 1 long button..

Some of the old Mac mice only had one button, but it had sensors on either side, so it would pick up right clicks if you pressed the right side. You just had to activate it in preferences. Similar deal with the laptops with one button - everyone just uses a double-finger tap for right clicking.

The Magic Mouse has both right and left click, but you have to activate the right click from preferences.

how do they work on a windows machine? thus far all other apple peripherals have worked. I use the aluminium keyboard and although that'd never be my main mouse, it does interest me.

Getting it connected on Windows 7 proved to be a mixed bag with one laptop refusing to connect with it, and the other getting a straight connection almost immediately - unfortunately all of the multi touch functionality has no support as Apple have only released software and drivers for OSX. You can use it as a standard left and right click mouse, but nothing more. Still the fact it works I guess is more than some of us would have expected.

Here is how you connect it in Windows 7 via bootcamp:

In the Windows 7 task bar tray (bottom right), you’ll find the Bluetooth icon. Select Add Device.

From the Add Device dialog box, right click on your device’s icon and select Properties. If your device isn’t listed, try turning it off and on.

From the Properties dialog, in the Services tab, you should see a checkbox item for “Drivers for keyboard, mice, etc (HID)” under Bluetooth Services. If it doesn’t show up, you probably already have a similar device connected. Check the checkbox and click Apply.

I did not try it with Windows Vista but I am sure it will work exactly the same.

The Magic Mouse is the best mouse Apple have made but for PC gamers, this is still a long way off becoming even a viable option - the tracking is good, but its not in the league of the leading mice from Steelseries, Razer and Logitech and the fact it is Bluetooth and not wired will alienate a large PC based market. Perhaps Apple don't care and I would assume the fact that the Magic Mouse is selling so well would prove the customer base don't either but it is disappointing that for £55 it isn't just that little bit better in the Windows environment - we would have liked to see dedicated Windows based drivers and software from Apple, but the best you can get right now is basic movement and two button support on Windows 7. Its interesting to play with, and its beautiful, but for a practical Windows user there are better options. Hopefully Apple will release a software package for Windows in the near future.

Read more: DH Quick Look: The Apple Magic Mouse - on OSX and Windows 7 http://www.driverheaven.net/site-news/1917...l#ixzz0Vmt78AR1

Sounds like no kinetic scrolling and no multi-touch support yet. I wouldn't count on Apple providing fully featured drivers, it's a feature they're going to want to keep OSX exclusive for now I'd say. Someone might be able to hack it though...

to be honest, I was hoping to use it as a multi touch trackpad on windows eventually, for my carPC

Depending on what you want it to do, you could always try hackintosh. I think a multitouch input for a car PC would be of fairly limited use though. Much better off with a decent touchscreen or something like a Logitech diNovo mini with a physical keyboard.

Works a treat. Really happy with it. Would like the side buttons and the two finger swipe is hard without letting go of the mouse but that said, no regrets :)

There isn't a package for windows 7, because windows 7 isn't officially supported by boot camp yet.

I've worked out my slider issue, seems I managed to bend the alloy cover when ripping it from the packaging, tested a fresh one and it's all good.

Most impressive.

I've worked out my slider issue, seems I managed to bend the alloy cover when ripping it from the packaging, tested a fresh one and it's all good.

Most impressive.

did you buy a new one? Or get it replaced?