Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Reb1rth.

TEKKEN 6

I just picked up a copy of Tekken 6... it's not out locally 'til Nov 5th, but I snagged it from Dungeon Crawl in Melbourne (US import) this afternoon.

Anybody else here picking up a copy of this (PS3)? It'd be nice to try out online sometime.

Edited by Reb1rth.

I'm not sure if i'll grab it. It seems like i will be button mashing galore and getting annoyed how i cannot get medals or past a certain stage. The single player comptent looks ok.

Ill be getting it on PS3, looks good and there will probably be more people playing it online then 5:DR anyway. Add me (wingnut0021) if you havnt already.

I hear the online is atrocious, this is the one reason why I'm put off buying the game, also I hear the doesn't look as good as the arcade version.

i still haven't played much of street fighter iv, if only someone would make a 3rd party 360 controller that had a decient d-pad

i still haven't played much of street fighter iv, if only someone would make a 3rd party 360 controller that had a decient d-pad

Isnt the official SFIV hand controller any good?

I hear the online is atrocious

That's the case with most fighting games though. SFIV is pretty bad, but T5:DR was ridiculous.

If you want to evolve past button mashing, timing is EVERYTHING. Online is a distraction at best.

Yeah I tried a little online... massive lag, you pretty much have to mash your way through fights to make up for the delay in everything you do.

It could be okay with a local player, but you can only set up unranked private matches.

I'd rather just get a friend over and play IRL.

Have this preordered, will pick it up when I get my PS3.

Having played it in the arcades, the preorder I have comes with an Arcade stick, so it will be easier to get into.

I played the console versions at Armageddon, XB360 was TERRIBLE in terms of playing with the d-pad, and PS3 just felt like the same as playing Tekken 5 on the PS2.

Street Fighter IV is my game, but I have organised with the DVD manager at work to get two copies with arcade sticks, and he'd buy mine from me.

This gives him Tekken and two sticks, and me a copy of Tekken since I already have two excellent quality sticks.

I'll give the game a look, but I don't see myself playing it heaps.

EDIT: I will never ever play a fighting game again with a control pad. That's why I've never touched MK vs DC Universe since I bought it.

Edited by morris

I've played Tekken 6. For those familiar with the gameplay, etc ... it's more of the same. It's a game that can be picked up in a few easy minutes, but mastered after many many hours.

Tekken always hit that nice medium of Pro / Casual gamer learning curve / gameplay. Nothing has changed here, it's still lovely to look at and continues on the story line. Yes there are more technical fighters out there (VF5 for example) but this one is full of fun!

There is one thing that does annoy me, and that is the 'bounce' feature. When you get airborne, as you fall to the ground it is a lot harder to tech roll. Instead, you bounce, leading to more possible combos.

There is one thing that does annoy me, and that is the 'bounce' feature. When you get airborne, as you fall to the ground it is a lot harder to tech roll. Instead, you bounce, leading to more possible combos.

Tech rolling from a normal fall is just as easy as it was before.

What Tekken 6 has added is the "Bound" system - unofficial name, but that's what they call it over on Zaibatsu, because you're "bound" to get effed up. haha. When juggling, a character can use a downward strike to slam the enemy into the ground, making them bounce up again somewhat. This makes devising combos slightly different from old tekkens, where you just kept a guy up and moved towards them etc for as long as possible, but now you would want to devise a way to juggle, hit in the air, bound them, continue and finish the combo. I find it a lot of fun, but you need to do a bit of experimentation or research to find which moves will cause the bound effect.

Sounds like it would be terribly imbalanced, but damage is not that massive - my Tekken 6 matches last much longer than my Tekken 5 ones in general.

I love Tekken - it is one of the few fighting games that is mocapped. The character modelling is wonderful and the breadth of character customisation is fantastic, and gives you huge amounts of room to be creative.

Edited by Kung Fu Hung-Su

Tech rolling from a normal fall is just as easy as it was before.

What Tekken 6 has added is the "Bound" system - unofficial name, but that's what they call it over on Zaibatsu, because you're "bound" to get effed up. haha. When juggling, a character can use a downward strike to slam the enemy into the ground, making them bounce up again somewhat. This makes devising combos slightly different from old tekkens, where you just kept a guy up and moved towards them etc for as long as possible, but now you would want to devise a way to juggle, hit in the air, bound them, continue and finish the combo. I find it a lot of fun, but you need to do a bit of experimentation or research to find which moves will cause the bound effect.

Sounds like it would be terribly imbalanced, but damage is not that massive - my Tekken 6 matches last much longer than my Tekken 5 ones in general.

I love Tekken - it is one of the few fighting games that is mocapped. The character modelling is wonderful and the breadth of character customisation is fantastic, and gives you huge amounts of room to be creative.

I only hate it because I'm not used to it, and I get whooped by people because I forget it's there >.<

I hear the online is atrocious

That's the case with most fighting games though. SFIV is pretty bad, but T5:DR was ridiculous.

If you want to evolve past button mashing, timing is EVERYTHING. Online is a distraction at best.

There is some lag with online and it takes some calibration to work with it but for what you get I'm very grateful to have it, the problem with sf4 isn't so much the lag for me, which isn't that bad unless your super competitive but it's actually finding games, you'll spend 6 attempts connecting to a game and failing before you actually find a working match.

I think I read online that t6 suffers lag coming and going, so the experience is constantly changing, unlike sf4 when a game is found the latency is consistent. A game that has no constantly changing latency would be a deal breaker for sure. I'd probably wait for it to drop in price and maybe a patch to fix the issues, I wish these companies would spend the money and get dedicated servers like EA.

Tried setting up a private game with a friend last night and the connection just timed out every time... both tried hosting, no go.

I can play automatching games no problems though (it's just lag-city).

Well I have my copy now.

:)

Can I come over and play? I'm still paying off my copy, and want to have some fun :P

If you're in Cairns, then why not.

I just got the tekken stick bundle, though I'm somewhat new to joysticks my experience includes using the madcatz TE and the hori EX2.

In my opnion the Yoke feels somewhere between the EX2 and madcatz, the madcatz has a really loose feel and the ex2 is really stiff, but the tekken stick, which is a hori brand, feels somewhere in between; it's loose like the madcatz but slightly more stiffer, the buttons are smaller then the hori EX2 but they're soft to press like the madcatz TE though slightly stiffer, the board is also bigger then the EX2 and more comfortable to use, it's soley wireless aswell so you can only use batteries.

So far I think it's a good stick, not loose but not at all stiff, it feels like it's somewhere in between though I think it leans more towards the madcatz TE then the EX2.

Personally I didn't like the EX2 because the yoke is so stubborn to use.

Edited by King_TriTAN

if the lag in 6 is the same old shit from 5 I don't know why anyone would bother playing it online.

Tekken 5DR ran awesome as a single player game on PS3 - felt every bit as responsive and polished as the arcade versions, but the online is completely unusable.

if the lag in 6 is the same old shit from 5 I don't know why anyone would bother playing it online.

Tekken 5DR ran awesome as a single player game on PS3 - felt every bit as responsive and polished as the arcade versions, but the online is completely unusable.

Apparently they've promised to patch the problem, which I'm hopping they do, because tekken is my favourite fighting game right now.

Cool comp ColonelSanders!

Does anybody think Kazuya's head looks abnormally small on that box art? I know this is the way to make guys look bulkier, but srsly this is getting a bit over the top.