Midnighter

How to clear BIOS password on Acer Aspire 4710 laptop?

As above. We recently repo'd a laptop from pricks that weren't paying, and one knew enough to put a BIOS password on it. Ass-wipes.

Anyway, it came back, and our guy tried to do a restore on it, but it won't let us boot into it properly, complains of corrupt files, and we can't boot from CD to do anything as it's set to boot straight to hard-disk, and i can't get into the bios to change the boot setting. Annoying. I've not had much prac with laptops, been mainly exposed to desktops, and am trying to figure out how to get this thing to reset the BIOS password so i can do what needs doing, and boot from a cd, but am unsure of what else to try, and was hoping oner of you might have something useful/helpful for me. I'd hate for this thing to become a paperweight because of some soft-cock. Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers. :)

Find and remove the CMOS battery maybe?

That may or may not work - I think some ThinkPads guard against that.

Best bet would be to call Acer and see what they can do.

Have considered trying to remove the battery, but unlike in a desktop, it's not remotely easy to get to, so was hoping for another solution.

pressing one of the f1-12 keys may let you into some kind of option that can reset things? although delete is the default bios button.

Checked for a back door bios password?

Also try acer or 000000 as the PW.

Also note that "Acer eSettings Management allows you to inspect hardware specifications, set

BIOS passwords and modify boot options."

Or Alt+F10 at boot to launch erecovery?

vhttp://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd << may work with the laptop in question unfortunately for you I never filed the paper work to become a acer repair agent so I dont have access to the information for you.

How ever there should be 2 contacts under the ram which are exactly opposite the cmos battery on the PCB. holding a screw driver over these 2 contacts and holding the power down should perform the reset.

Best bet how ever would be to ring up acer pretending to be a repair agent from a place you know that does it and ask what contacts you need to short.

Or take it into a repair agent and get them to do it for you.

unfortunately you going to have to pull the laptop apart or pay someone to do it for you.

How ever there should be 2 contacts under the ram which are exactly opposite the cmos battery on the PCB. holding a screw driver over these 2 contacts and holding the power down should perform the reset.

Ah just had a look at a shit of an Acer 5630 I have here. Yep remove the biggest bottom cover, remove the ram and a small flat pad with two flush contacts on it labelled clear cmos. Had to use a magnifying glass to see it though.

Removed the mains power and battery pack and then bridged the contacts for a few seconds, put everything back together and tested, CMOS cleared to defaults.

Now if I could just figure out why this piece of shit 5630 randomly locks up somewhere between a few seconds and 10 minutes after turn on.

have you tried a cmos clear program? Check this out. Might be easier than pulling it apart - especially if your not overly comfortable pulling it apart.

Cheeers

Edit - sorry reread your post and you can't boot into windows. Have you tried safe mode? Otherwise is there a combo you can use during the post to choose the boot media (i read alt-f10 somewhere but not sure if thats for cmos setup or boot option) ? This would avoid having to go into the bios, not sure if that would be pwd protected though

Edited by mattym