.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Thinking of switching to Ethernet over power

Yes, generally EMI can be blocked by metal, but...

If installed incorrectly, the shielding in the cable acts as a huge antenna and does more harm than good.

This is true, and something i hadnt taken into account. thanks :)

I remember reading that the EOP device can't be run on a powerboard, it needs its own socket.

But I would much prefer it to wireless. I run a cable down my hallway to avoid having to use a shitty G wireless router.

this is false, it just needs to be on the same PHASE.

if the powerboard has 'filtering' then it wont work, a simple powerboard will work fine.

a simple clamping\fuse based surge protector works, crazy clarks ones for exmaple are fine.

Its when you get ferrite wound EMI filters and capacitor based filtering that the signals get scrambled and either run VERY slowly or not at all.

This isnt an issue though, you can still use your fancy powerboard, it just means that SINGLE device isnt surge protected, meh. Sure it could fry your mobo over LAN, but electricity takes path of least resistance, the big powerboard is a better route than a single CAT5\6 cable.

Question though; isnt EMI naturally blocked slightly by ANY metal surface? hence shielded being at least slightly beneficial?

Yes, generally EMI can be blocked by metal, but...

If installed incorrectly, the shielding in the cable acts as a huge antenna and does more harm than good.

Yeah... but it's not blocked, really, it's absorbed. It's only blocked if the energy can then leave the metal some way. I.e. to earth.

The reason a metal case blocks EMI so well is because the chassis is earthed. Without that connection, the case becomes an antenna, albeit a hugely ineffective, out-of-tune one, but an antenna none the less.

My idea was:

PC ----ethernet----> AP ----wireless----> router/modem

Basically replacing the need for a wireless card which requires drivers.

This is unlikely to work as you'd need to find an AP which can operate in client association / client bridging mode and most don't.

Some manufacturers have 'gaming adapters' that bridge ethernet to a client associated hardware device and that's probably want you want here - though avoid D-Link and Belkin.

You're probably still better off with an EoP device.

they both claim to get around 40~70Mbps, that would be fine for online gaming even HD streaming

I'm not worried about the speed, but the reliability.

I need to know if these devices are better than Wireless for gaming in terms of lost packets/interference/latency.

Otherwise, this looks like a really good deal: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TP-Link-200Mbps-Hom...=item2c512458fb

Undisputably yes.

I would bet my left testicle on it.

Speed impacts on latency though and it's unlikely you will be able to game effectively with a 10 meg connection.

Um WTF max? Then how can people game on a 1500/256 connection, much slower than a 10meg LAN.

Yeah I think that came out kind of wrong there :(

Ahh yeah, I was looking at the TP-Link units. I found a kit for $150, which should do the trick.

So would it be right to say that EoP is more reliable for online gaming than wireless? Is it comparable to a direct CAT5e connection? Throughput doesn't concern me too much.

It is more reliable, depending.

Buy from somewhere you can return it, though.

I've seen issues with Earth Leakage Devices and interesting behaviour, and it depends, as jeruselem below mentioned, on the quality of wiring in your house.

Wow, I'm an idiot. That eBay listing was for one unit. >_<

You haven't bought it yet have you?

I found a Netcomm NP285 kit (I have used these they are faultless)

Netcomm NP285 Kit

Ahh yeah, I was looking at the TP-Link units. I found a kit for $150, which should do the trick.

So would it be right to say that EoP is more reliable for online gaming than wireless? Is it comparable to a direct CAT5e connection? Throughput doesn't concern me too much.

It is more reliable, depending.

Buy from somewhere you can return it, though.

I've seen issues with Earth Leakage Devices and interesting behaviour, and it depends, as jeruselem below mentioned, on the quality of wiring in your house.

It's also negatively impacted by inductive loads like fridges and air conditioners.

Given the cost and the caveats, I'd save it as a last resort.

Edited by SquallStrife

I went the reverse in my house. I have so much stuff that is 'high quality power' (my PSU, home audio, gaming consoles etc) that it was EASIER to filter the noise BEFORE it got into the lines.

my FRIDGE has a filtering surge protector on it, and so does basically my entire kitchen and laundry. lol.

My powerboard for my TV and elctronics is filtered too, but I thought i'd attack the problem at both ends. worked a treat.

We don't have air con, and the fridge is downstairs, so It'd probably be on another circuit. I should check. BTW, I'm buying it from here now: http://www.megaware.com.au/index.php?main_...oducts_id=93726

Circuits dont matter its all about phase.

This is unlikely to work as you'd need to find an AP which can operate in client association / client bridging mode and most don't.

Really? Most don't do client/bridge or point to point modes? Bummer.

I have only used a couple of brands of APs and I made sure the ones I chose had that function so I assumed that it was a fairly common option in APs.

Specifically I have used the uberwap from

http://wifitech.com.au/catalog/product_inf...bddea3d02de603a at home in point to point and now in AP Bridge-WDS mode.

And I set up an SMC SMCWBR14T-G Barricade in WDS mode for a customer (he already had an SMC wireless modem and wanted to extend coverage).

It's been purchased. I'll see if I can get a review up when it comes in. What tests should I run? What do you guys want me to look at? Might as well do this properly, so that other people on the net can get access to decent information.

Really? Most don't do client/bridge or point to point modes? Bummer.

Nope. You'll probably find the types of devices wifitech sell are more geared towards geeks who want these kind of features unlike most of the common consumer-oriented brands link Netgear/Linksys/D-Link.

And I set up an SMC SMCWBR14T-G Barricade in WDS mode for a customer (he already had an SMC wireless modem and wanted to extend coverage).

Bear in mind that WDS mode doesn't necessarily imply bridging of traffic to the Ethernet port on a remote AP which is what the OP needs.

CyberGlitch - I will be very interested in your tests. Did you get the TPLink or Netcomm EoPs. I am leaning towards the NP285 kit - just waiting for payday.

Bear in mind that WDS mode doesn't necessarily imply bridging of traffic to the Ethernet port on a remote AP which is what the OP needs.

Ye should have mentioned it can also do point to point, bridge modes etc.

It's been purchased. I'll see if I can get a review up when it comes in. What tests should I run?

Tests? Stability and overall speed tests would be good especially of large files, perhaps even on different power points to see what effect that can have.

Oh don't forget to check how hot they run. I had a couple here (some years ago) that used to get almost too hot to touch, but apparently this was normal for those models. Did not like.

TP-Link. From what I've been reading, they're a good brand, and 200mbps doesn't hurt to have.

Well the modem/router I have of theirs has certainly been rock solid for a couple of years.

They've sold almost 500million tplink modems and routers in china alone you would think that there product it pretty alright.

They've sold almost 500million tplink modems and routers in china alone you would think that there product it pretty alright.

This is not a slight against TP-Link, who despite the seemingly bathroom-related name seem to be the new Billion in terms of being 'that company nobody's heard of which isn't complained about as much as all the other shitty consumer grade gear', but...

In 2004, George W. Bush received over 62 million votes in the USA - you would think he'd have to be pretty alright.

In 2004, George W. Bush received over 62 million votes in the USA - you would think he'd have to be pretty alright.

Touché

:P

As far as TP-Link goes I can only go on my experience which has been good.

Edited by aliali