Madz007

New M/B wont post driving me nuts

Hi Folks, finally received my new M/B and processor 780i & Q9650. after puting it all togeather and switching it on all the lights come on and it gets as far as post code 26 (clock gen, init onboard clock generator and sensor) where i receive a long beep and it continues on to 7F (POST error check, check post error and display them and ask for user intervention)

nothing comes on the monitor and thats as far as i get. after some investigation and means of elimination i removed all but i Ram stick and one GPU still nothing till i placed the GPU into slot 2.

with the GPU in slot 2 i get a post but it tells me that i need to move the GPU into slot 1, but when i move it back nothing again.

i have tried clearing cmos, trying different GPU, moving ram around trying different stick, still nothing.

i am using a ZOTAC 780i M/B, Q9650, corsair 8500 1G, water cooling, 9800GTX, coolmaster 1200W,

does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem and how to fix it please im at wits end.

cheerz in advance Madz.

Got a spare GPU? have any ddr2 ram laying around?

I owned the XFX version of this board and had this error about 3 months in. poped the GPU in the 2nd slot and performed a BOIS update fixed the problem was a solid overclocker too.

why on earth would you buy a 780i mobo and q9650 brand new when there are the i7's going probably cheaper and most support SLi and CF?

Got a spare GPU? have any ddr2 ram laying around?

I owned the XFX version of this board and had this error about 3 months in. poped the GPU in the 2nd slot and performed a BOIS update fixed the problem was a solid overclocker too.

i have tryed the other 9800 and that still didnt work and have tryed different ram and still nothing. as for the bios it has the latest bios in it or do you recon re-flashing it anyways?

why on earth would you buy a 780i mobo and q9650 brand new when there are the i7's going probably cheaper and most support SLi and CF?

i think it was just so i could save on not having to buy new ram, lernt a valuable lesson there didn't i!

Surprisied that Nesquick didn't suggest an i5. But yeah Q9650 is old technology....get with the times.

Yea I just did an upgrade and used to have a core 2 quad and gtx275 and I wanted SLI but there was hardly and 780i mobo's around so I went with an i7 860 instead lol.

So did the video cards come out of a machine that worked perfectly?

Yea I just did an upgrade and used to have a core 2 quad and gtx275 and I wanted SLI but there was hardly and 780i mobo's around so I went with an i7 860 instead lol.

So did the video cards come out of a machine that worked perfectly?

yeh both the 9800's where from another build that worked fine (another 780i funnly enough)

So have you swapped them around to see if its 1 card doing it?

yeh tried that and in each different slot still nothing. rang Zotac support team and went through a heep of stuff with him and still nothing. they aren't even sure what the prob could be coz he has never herd of this type of situation before.

if possible try and update to the new bios it has a few fixes for pice bugs and some fixes for the Penryn cpus so that could help

edit: disregard this i just read that it has the latest bios

Edited by ian_hard