anvosa

Largest PC Parts wholesaler in Australia ?

Hi People,

OK I work at a computer shop and currently buy a fair bit of stuff through Ingram Micro,

We here they are the second largest in Australia but would like to know who is the largest.

Can anyone shed some light on say the top 5

We are looking at other suppliers and why not start with the 5 best/top/biggest

thanks in advance

:)

Having the same problems we have with IM?

Altech are pretty good.

Cheers

Never bought from any of the bigger wholesalers in Aus, how do their prices differ from MSY's?

10%? 20%?

Their prices are often the same or more expensive than MSY. If they're over it's generally within 3%. I've said it in many threads, MSY changed the retail market in Australia significantly.

I'd guess Ingram and Synnex were the biggest. I'd say Altech were smaller than both by several orders of magnitude, and Anyware was smaller than Altech by several orders of magnitude.

Their prices are often the same or more expensive than MSY. If they're over it's generally within 3%. I've said it in many threads, MSY changed the retail market in Australia significantly.

To be honest, I can't say I'm that surprised. It does suck though :/

I work for Synnex. tantryl, that's partially true as we do charge quite a bit to wholesalers. However, that's not the case for internal orders for us staff. Sometimes, the prices they give us as staff is about the same or slightly lower.

I work for Synnex. tantryl, that's partially true as we do charge quite a bit to wholesalers. However, that's not the case for internal orders for us staff. Sometimes, the prices they give us as staff is about the same or slightly lower.

Sucks to be a wholesaler?

MSY and equivalents pricing pretty much sucked the lifeblood out of smaller retailers.

Those competing for corporate or government sales can still make margin but the smarter money has always been on the service side for some time now.

Companies that shifted their model to this have survived and grown selling hardware only as a value add.

Small business owners are better suited to gearing their business for solution based sales. Don't sell a server, sell the entire integrated and managed solution. If you work on your relationship with your customers then they will often buy things such as workstations from you rather than sourcing them from somewhere cheaper.

Sucks to be a wholesaler?

MSY and equivalents pricing pretty much sucked the lifeblood out of smaller retailers.

Those competing for corporate or government sales can still make margin but the smarter money has always been on the service side for some time now.

Companies that shifted their model to this have survived and grown selling hardware only as a value add.

Small business owners are better suited to gearing their business for solution based sales. Don't sell a server, sell the entire integrated and managed solution. If you work on your relationship with your customers then they will often buy things such as workstations from you rather than sourcing them from somewhere cheaper.

Sort of The Tick. Most retailers are starting to move towards entire packages which we build for them. These days, we've been seeing more and more complete systems sold such as HP laptops, Lenovo's desktops and Asus workstations.

Hi People,

OK I work at a computer shop and currently buy a fair bit of stuff through Ingram Micro,

We here they are the second largest in Australia but would like to know who is the largest.

Can anyone shed some light on say the top 5

We are looking at other suppliers and why not start with the 5 best/top/biggest

thanks in advance

Gotta say, we run a computer shop in SA and I've never heard of Ingram Micro nor Synnex.

We've done some business with Altech, Anyware, Unistar, Amicroe, Bronet, and DIY IT. We've done a lot more business with Todaytech, Hyka, and several smaller places who prefer to remain nameless. Lately most of our business has gone to Magpac. I've found that no single wholesaler provides the best prices, all components, nor all manufacturers. So we deal with quite a few wholesalers and will continue to do so.

I also compare regularly to MSY and almost always get better prices from our suppliers, not to mention much better service. I hate going in to buy something on a price list only to find out it's not in stock. Plus we usually get on the spot replacements for warranty issues, no questions asked. :)

Altech are my favorite wholesaler to deal with at work. Compuworld aren't too bad either but I think they are only Brisbane based? Anyware is only really useful for getting cheap peripherals and accessories. The boss doesn't like buying from Synnex, not sure why. My guess would be either poor service or freight charges.

I have to say altech was my favourite, and I loved there website layout, anyware was good too, except if they stuffed up your order, then it was hard to get a hold of them to sort it all out.

All Interactive has some good stuff if you want games in your shop too, they are gold coast based.

Synnex is the largest componnent distributer in Australia.

I should know I work for them!

Tantryls post is very accurate.

Get them to fix the website. It is shocking.

Get them to fix the website. It is shocking.

It's on the cards.

Synnex is great.. they have a range of goods that can hardly be matched... and doing business with them for us.. is painless.

Altech are another matter... their prices workout more expensive then retail prices. I find them just terrible, they change what they stock all the time.. with Synnex however... when you go looking for something, they have it in droves.

What do people know about Blue Chip IT?

I've only dealt with Synnex for a warranty replacement for an ASUS motherboard after the reseller went bust.

Paid $38 for shipping, which was good, next day, courier delivered replacement.

I've only dealt with Synnex for a warranty replacement for an ASUS motherboard after the reseller went bust.

Wow! I've never paid for a warranty replacement and always had them replaced on the spot, no questions asked. Glad I've never dealt with Synnex. :)

Wow! I've never paid for a warranty replacement and always had them replaced on the spot, no questions asked. Glad I've never dealt with Synnex. :)

No surprises there given that you have no reseller to return the damn thing to.

No surprises there given that you have no reseller to return the damn thing to.

I bought a few parts including MB and RAM from Nintek a while back because our local supplier didn't have the board in stock at the time and we didn't want to wait. Nintek offered a 1 yr warranty on both, but the manufacturers' warranties were 3 years (MB) and lifetime (RAM). The parts failed after the 1 year warranty, but before 3 years. Nintek offered to return them to the manufacturers for a fee. That sounds like the same support you'd get from Synnex? I'm sure it would have taken longer going that route via Nintek.

Instead we took it to our local supplier for that manufacturer who gave us a new MB on the spot and returned the faulty board to the manufacturer at their convenience. However I believe they've changed their policy regarding returns to only cover parts that were purchased from them now. Their service impressed us very much and that's why we stick to these suppliers whenever possible.

The RAM was a different story as we have no supplier for Crucial here. I returned directly to Crucial USA via cross shipping method and only paid shipping from my end ($15). I had the replacement 2 days later. I don't see the benefit of using a big wholesaler to do what I can do myself? Plus I get Crucial RAM considerably cheaper directly from Crucial than any place I've seen in AU.

I'd expect a big AU wholesaler to cover, or recover shipping from manufacturers, as our smaller suppliers do for warranty issues.

I was considering looking into these big AU wholesalers, but so far I don't see anything they offer over what we already have.

And SceptreCore said Synnex has range of products that's hard to match? Unless there's more than listed here, it seems pretty limited to me. Only Transcend and Kingston memory, neither of which I'd consider high end? Only 3 MB manufacturers? 2 hard drive manufacturers? Etc.. Am I missing something here?

http://www.synnex.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=27

I'm not trying to put them down, just wondering if they're worth considering for us.

Synnex and Ingram are tier 1 wholesalers. It's likely a lot of the distributors you deal with buy a fair bit of their stuff from them or the likes of them. Synnex and Ingram are generally better if you've got a very high turnover or trying to fill very large orders (think a turn-over of $250K/week or more).

They're not well set up (in WA at least) to deal with smaller 1-3 employee shops, and have no intention to be.

Synnex and Ingram are tier 1 wholesalers. It's likely a lot of the distributors you deal with buy a fair bit of their stuff from them or the likes of them. Synnex and Ingram are generally better if you've got a very high turnover or trying to fill very large orders (think a turn-over of $250K/week or more).

They're not well set up (in WA at least) to deal with smaller 1-3 employee shops, and have no intention to be.

None of our suppliers have that kind of turn around, let alone us. But it's nice to know they aren't set up for smaller shops. We won't waste their time and ours. :)