philo-sofa

Prototype ATI HD 5970 (aka 5870 X2) pics & benches leaked (aka 'leaked')

Dailytech article and the original AlienBabelTech forum thread.

These are unofficial (i.e could be fake) pictures of AMD's alleged thirteen and a half inch dual 5870 card - the model codenamed Hemlock and previously presumed to end up being named 5870 X2. It's not known if, but we'd have to guess it's unlikely that, the dimensions (which wouldn't fit inside many cases) and the max fan speed (4700rpm lol) will be carried over into the production version:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still.... admit it: you already want one don't you? Even if it would mean cutting a hole in the front of your case for it to stick through...

I've also managed to hunt down (i.e. Google) the benches that Alienbabeltech deleted, if the site is to be believed then the model shown is is indeed an engineering sample:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will be interesting when it does gets released...

it cant be true it only lists 1gb memory all x2 card have had 2gb, 512 mb between two gpu's would bite ballz i could be interpreting wrong tho

Posted Image

Man you beat me too it. Did you see the body building thread that came from?

it cant be true it only lists 1gb memory all x2 card have had 2gb, 512 mb between two gpu's would bite ballz i could be interpreting wrong tho

GPU-Z is only picking up one card – hence the essentially 5870 specs it reports.

Is there any rumours when one of these might be released?

Before Christmas – I’d guess mid dec..

Its picking it up as 1gb because its 1gb of ram per core not 2gb of ram shared between the cores.

It was meant to be released in mid october but I would imagine the low volume of RV870 GPU's have been implicating its release after all theres hardly any HD5870's around now these will take 2 more GPU's from an already low stock count/supply of them

Edited by nesquick

Maybe the build up of the 5970 cards is contributing to the low stock situation of the 5870s?

Pretty much my thoughts since each one is drawing double the GPU's from their stock count it may be having a negative effect on their ability to satisfy the market.

Looking at the benchmarks for crysis, its around 1fps more than my system. I know the card and drivers would still need optimization, but thats pretty poor, the 5870 performs much better.

Looking at the benchmarks for crysis, its around 1fps more than my system. I know the card and drivers would still need optimization, but thats pretty poor, the 5870 performs much better.

As I mentioned in the other thread those were done with alpha drivers and a very early/immature BIOS.