Hey guys im new to this atomic so hi my name is Jake.

Iv been doing research using google for related topics on building cheap pc gaming rigs and iv used ebay as my online shop for parts etc. I have made a list of what i want or i "Think" i want i say think bcause i need you guys to tell me if im buying incorrect stuff or i can buy better components. Tell me what you think.

*Case - I have one already (Some cheap case i baught 2 years ago) its brand was "My Pc" i think and it came with a 185watt power supply but in my study 185watts seem to be rubbish for a gaming rig.

*PSU - I decided to go with a 500 watt because it seems to be a good supply for the rig i need. I still havnt found any on ebay yet but maybe im just not looking hard. Most of the ones on ebay have top fans and mine only has a back fan. Im sure the case can only take similar PSU.

*Motherboard - I have gone with the Gigabyte s775 p45 fsb 1600 ddr2. It seems to look alright for what i neeed i guess maybe someone can tell me if this is a good choice or point me out to something better with similar price range.

*CPU - I have decided on the Intel core2 duo e7500.

*Graphics - I chose the HIS ATI HD4670 iceQ pci-e 2.0 1GB. It seems to look like its bang for buck but i am willing to spend alittle more if its worth the money.

*Hardrive - 320gb wd sata hhd hardrive 7200rpm 16mb wd 3200 aaks. Looks good for its price and 320 gigs is more then enough for me.

Prices (Ebay)

*Cpu - $156 with $18 for postage

*Motherboard - $145 with $20 postage

*Graphics - $110 with 35 postage

*Hardrive - $52 with $7 postage

I just need to find -

Power supply unit

dvd/cd drive (I want to play dvds and games well i hope someone can point me out to decent one)

I hope i havnt missed anything. Hope someone can help me in my first pc build i hope my research has paid off in this thread and i thank all who help me.

Kindest regards

Jake.

whats your budget?

might as well do it right the first time and not go ebay but go to a proper store so you have the benifet of warranty and not being scammed.

from PCcasegear (they are a good shop I have used them many times, MSY and Umart are also very good and cheap)

-e7500

-Gigabyte G41 US2H mobo (best cheap one your going to get)

-2gb OCZ DDR2 ram

-corsair CX400 PSu (listen do yourself a favor and don't buy a shitty coolermaster, thermaltake, yumcha, shaw and all those other crap brands, get a quality one from Corsair or Antec for your budget)

-HD4770 (much better than a HD4670 for a few $$ more)

total $513 from that shop but you can probably find them cheaper using http://www.staticice.com.au

edit for a little more grunt swap those parts to:

-phenom II 545

-Gigabyte MA770T mobo

-OCZ 4gb DDR3 ram

should be about $10 more.

Edited by nesquick

Wow those prices suck ! the parts you listed can be purchased cheaper from Umart.

Antec ATX EarthWatts 430W

Internet Price: $77.00

At least 500gig drive as games take a lot of space.

Samsung 500G SATA II 7200rpm HD502HJ

Internet Price: $67.00

Team Dark 4G Kit(2x2G) PC8500 1066Mhz CL5(TXDD4096M1066HC5DC-D)

Internet Price: $119.00

You should spend a little more on your GPU.

Sapphire HD4870 1G GDDR5 PCI E TVO

Internet Price: $195.00

Intel ATX E7500 CORE 2 DUO 2.93G 3MBCache 1066FSB LGA775

Internet Price: $144.00

Gigabyte EP43T-UD3L S775 4DDR3 PCIE2.0 SATA2 GbLAN ATX FSB1600(O.C) UD

Internet Price: $112.00

Pioneer IDE DVR118L 22X DVD Black

Internet Price: $45.00

Total: $759.00.

EDIT: for optical drive.

I am sure others will suggest even better systems but this is to show you that EBAY sucks, lol.

Edited by bowiee

Are those prices australian or american? And thank you for your imputs im checking out all what you said as we speak.

Australian dollars. You did not mention you were in the U.S.

EDIT: By the way welcome to Atomic have fun, post often, and play nice. You have entered the land of green. :)

Edited by bowiee

I am australiam friend lol just making sure our bearings are straight. Pcasegear is very good for what iv looked at so far. i will put together what you all said and show you my net list and see what you guys think.

I gotta be dreaming.. i just came accross this.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=11975

It says i get the mobo and at the bottum it includes Ram, Vidcard and coolmater pc box.

If that is correct for $99 thats a damn good deal?

Do you have a 64bit operating system ? If not you could add windows 7 to that list.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM purchse w Hardware

Internet Price: $119.00

I am australiam friend lol just making sure our bearings are straight. Pcasegear is very good for what iv looked at so far. i will put together what you all said and show you my net list and see what you guys think.

I gotta be dreaming.. i just came accross this.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=11975

It says i get the mobo and at the bottum it includes Ram, Vidcard and coolmater pc box.

If that is correct for $99 thats a damn good deal?

NO, lol it says customers who brought the motherboard also brought those items. It's just to show you other items you might buy. :)

Edited by bowiee

I think you would be better off with AMD to be honest, the cheap phenom II chips have the possibility of unlocking 2 deactivated cores turning it into a quad core for no extra money.

So far iv got this on my list but im not sure the PSu will suit the case i got (antec 300 case).

case - antec 300 case $89

Mobo - Gigabyte G41 US2H $99

Ram - oc2 pc2 - 6400 vista upgraded edition 2x2GB $99

CPU - intel core2 duo e7500 $159

PSu - corsair cs400 400Watt power supply $65

I like this pccasegear so can people reffer to this site. :)

Should i go for the $159 e7500 or the $109 phenom II 545 ? Is the cheaper one the better one? (doesnt sound right lol)

Edited by unsinkable86

So far iv got this on my list but im not sure the PSu will suit the case i got (antec 300 case).

case - antec 300 case $89

Mobo - Gigabyte G41 US2H $99

Ram - oc2 pc2 - 6400 vista upgraded edition 2x2GB $99

CPU - intel core2 duo e7500 $159

PSu - corsair cs400 400Watt power supply $65

I like this pccasegear so can people reffer to this site. :)

Should i go for the $159 e7500 or the $109 phenom II 545 ? Is the cheaper one the better one? (doesnt sound right lol)

That PSU will be fine with that case. The AMD chip would be good if you can unlock it. If you go that way then stick with gigabyte brand for the mobo, then go for DDR3 ram.

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD770/SB700 chipset/DDR3 1600

Internet Price: $108.00

Or for DDR2 ram try this mobo,

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD770/SB700 chipset/DDR2

Internet Price: $104.00

Ok i best describe my intentions and budget. In th near future i want to play bad company 2 on my pc with medium graphics (If not more!?) but i want to be under a budget. Say $700 but im not afraid to break it. I dont want to but if its for a little extra performance why not. The pc box i have now isnt up to what i want so iv decided to add the box in the whole price aswell. (I like clean looks) So i want a gaming rig box. the rest i can buy later such as mouse keyboard speakers Lcd monitor etc etc.

Hope this helps.

PS im not a computer nerd or maniac but i do know alot of stuff maybe i dont give myself much credit. :)

Edited by unsinkable86

Ok i best describe my intentions and budget. In th near future i want to play bad company 2 on my pc with medium graphics (If not more!?) but i want to be under a budget. Say $700 but im not afraid to break it. I dont want to but if its for a little extra performance why not. The pc box i have now isnt up to what i want so iv decided to add the box in the whole price aswell. (I like clean looks) So i want a gaming rig box. the rest i can buy later such as mouse keyboard speakers Lcd monitor etc etc.

Hope this helps.

PS im not a computer nerd or maniac but i do know alot of stuff maybe i dont give myself much credit. :)

In that case I will stick with my original build, just throw in an OEM copy of win7 64bit home premium.

Have a look at the Lian Li Lan Cool cases see if you like them, they are probably the cheapest nice cases I know of.

the best budget case with good PSU though is the Antec NSK6580 by a long shot though.

Hope this helps.

In that case I will stick with my original build, just throw in an OEM copy of win7 64bit home premium.

Yeh i see what you wrote but i cant find any of that on PCasegear. My main concern is being scammed so i would liek to stay with the one consumer. What would you recommand off there site? i cant find half the things you mentioned sorry. :P Idid find the graphics card from say raidon..is it the XFX?

Couple of questions.

What do you guys mean by unlocking the AMD chip?

What would be the best Hardrive on pccasegear. A western one 500GB?

What would be a smart buy for a cd drive. It has to be able to play good games i guess (it would have to be Dvd i think)

And im confused about buying the smaller stuff such as that CPU gell stuff, heatsinks and cables.. Do they come with the pruducts or do i buy them seperatly.

From PC case gear.

Corsair CX-400 400W Power Supply

$65.00

As they only have one samsung drive (my drive of choice) it will have to be the WD.

Western Digital Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS

$69.00

Patriot PC2-6400 2x2GB DDR2 PVS24G6400LLK

$139.00

XFX Radeon HD4870 1GB

$189.00

Intel Core2 Duo E7500

$159.00

Gigabyte GA-EG41MF-US2H mATX Motherboard

$99.00

Pioneer DVR-218L DVDRW OEM

$49.00

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM

$136.00

I am afraid using pc case gear, as they are more expensive and have less choice than umart, the same system will be around $900.00 :(

EDIT: maybe you should also check out MSY as they have good prices also and have stores in VIC.

Edited by bowiee

Hmm $900 is alittle to much for me considering after i buy the rig i need to but the other essentials. but i do very much like what youve advised me so far. how well would this rig be if it was playing crysis reckon i could get hi specs?

Would be interesting to know.

Edited by unsinkable86

Couple of questions.

What would be a smart buy for a cd drive. It has to be able to play good games i guess (it would have to be Dvd i think)

And im confused about buying the smaller stuff such as that CPU gell stuff, heatsinks and cables.. Do they come with the pruducts or do i buy them seperatly.

The phenomII dual cores are actually PhenomII quad cores with a little bit of code that has deactivated 2 out of 4 cores, usually this is purely to make up the numbers and they deactivate 2 perfectly good cores to make a dual core chip, sometimes it has 2 dud cores though so its a gamble but most of the time it pays off and you get a quad core for free, you need a compatible motherboard to do it the MA770T can do it so stick with that.

I only like seagate hard drives but it comes down to personal choice, have been burnt by WD a few times and Seagate has never let me down so I stick with them but at the end of the day buy what is in your price range.

Get the cheapest DVD drive they are all the same but try for a sata one

Don't worry about thermal paste it comes preapplied to the heatsink you get when you buy the CPU.

all the cables you need will come with the PSU and MOBO as well.

Couple of questions.

The phenomII dual cores are actually PhenomII quad cores with a little bit of code that has deactivated 2 out of 4 cores, usually this is purely to make up the numbers and they deactivate 2 perfectly good cores to make a dual core chip, sometimes it has 2 dud cores though so its a gamble but most of the time it pays off and you get a quad core for free, you need a compatible motherboard to do it the MA770T can do it so stick with that.

I only like seagate hard drives but it comes down to personal choice, have been burnt by WD a few times and Seagate has never let me down so I stick with them but at the end of the day buy what is in your price range.

Get the cheapest DVD drive they are all the same but try for a sata one

Don't worry about thermal paste it comes preapplied to the heatsink you get when you buy the CPU.

all the cables you need will come with the PSU and MOBO as well.

Thanks nesquick ill send you the rest of my specs ill buy. I want to thank you and the others for helping if it wasnt for atomic i would of been spending my hard earned money on cheap ebay hardware.

:)

Ok this is my specs iv come up with. Hope i can get everyones input on these specs i think there good. :)

Pc rig:

Case - Antec three hundred case

Mobo - Gigabyte ma770t

CPU - Amd phenom II x2 545

PSu - corsair cx400 400W

Ram - OCZ 4GB DDR3 Ram

Hardrive - Seagate barracuda 7200.12 250GB

Cd drive - Sony ad7240sGB 20x DVDRW black oem

Graphics - XFX radeon HD4870 1GB

Thats the whole rigs specs what does everyone think.

Jake

Edit for costs. All up it equals $769 which is alittle over my budget but who can lose over $69 bucks lol. ;)

Acutally i want to double check the Ram. Is what iv written there sufficient or should i go with something else? If so point out which ram should replace it.

Edited by unsinkable86

Here is a thread you might find useful in regards to unlocking as well http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-a...king-guide.html

those HD4870's can not do HDMI with sound out by the way, if you need that functionality maybe look for say a HD5770 which is about $25 more but its newer tech and a little bit faster and cooler.

Edited by nesquick

Here is a thread you might find useful in regards to unlocking as well http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/535501-a...king-guide.html

those HD4870's can not do HDMI with sound out by the way, if you need that functionality maybe look for say a HD5770 which is about $25 more but its newer tech and a little bit faster and cooler.

Will the 400W PSu do for that graphics card? And what do you think about that ram mate?

Yeah 400W will be fine mate. Thats a good build you've done there too. Can you link me the exact ram you've chosen I just want to double check for you.