ok ive finially taken some advice you all may have given the other day about why buy a new 780i MB and Q9650 when i could just get an i7 920 for cheeper.

well ive taken your advice and got an evga X58 classified and an i7 920, here come the problem:

the X58 takes 2x8 pin connections on the MB i have this psu

http://extreme.outervision.com/articles/ps..._pro_1250_1.jsp

that only has 1x 8 pin, but it has 3x 8 pin PCIe connections that are also 12V can i use one of them as my second 12V connection for the MB?

thanks in advance Madz.

if its anything like other mb where you can run a 4 pin plug instead of a 8 pin plug im guessing this mb will work ok with only one 8 pin and no you cant use the pcie connectors as they have a different pinout

It's useage is totally optional.

Posted Image

The following is from overclock3d.net:

Another neat feature of the Classified, and perhaps one most appealing to the extreme overclockers using LN2/DICE will be the ability to supply up to 600W to the CPU. This is done by using an additional 8 pin12v+ EPS connector which along with the digital PWM should ensure the cleanest possible power delivery to your silicon. While I cannot see this feature being neccesary to anyone but the extreme clockers it is certainly a welcome addition which may tempt watercoolers to take that extra step into the wonderfull world of liquid Nitrogen.

...no you cant use the pcie connectors as they have a different pinout

+1

If you do want to use the second one I know that the Corsair HX 1000 has 2 EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin connectors.

Edited by mohawk

It's useage is totally optional.

The following is from overclock3d.net:

Another neat feature of the Classified, and perhaps one most appealing to the extreme overclockers using LN2/DICE will be the ability to supply up to 600W to the CPU. This is done by using an additional 8 pin12v+ EPS connector which along with the digital PWM should ensure the cleanest possible power delivery to your silicon. While I cannot see this feature being neccesary to anyone but the extreme clockers it is certainly a welcome addition which may tempt watercoolers to take that extra step into the wonderfull world of liquid Nitrogen.

Awsome out of all the reviews ive read i hadn't come accross that. Feeewwwwwww was thinking that i would have to replace the PSU as well.

im still in the process of seeing weather i need a complete new cpu waterblock or can i just get the Swiftech Apogee GTX/GTZ **i7 Clips** [sW5] and add it to the swiftech block i already have?

cheers.

Edited by Madz007