xzibit0007

Windows OS won't install- Partitions wont delete

Hello there, during the reformat process of my computer a error occurred, Windows XP Professional SP3 had a error occurr during the set up process, instead of wiping the hard drive clean it re-installed a second copy of itself on the original partition of the hard drive, The thing is once I try and re-install it, I am unable to delete the original partition so I can reinstall the OS. Any ideas on how I can get arround this issue? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Try using a third party partition tool like can be found on UBCD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

EG Ranish partition manager, some of the manufacturer diagnostic tools also allow for partition wiping.

You also need to find out why the error and given the partition issue you may have a dodgy hard drive so I would be running a full diagnostic with the HDD manufacturers diagnostic software.

are you installing it through windows itself, or are u pressing del on restart and booting straight off the disc?

You also need to find out why the error and given the partition issue you may have a dodgy hard drive so I would be running a full diagnostic with the HDD manufacturers diagnostic software.

And to that end......................

If you are having trouble formatting your new drive then, I recommend the excellent hard drive setup programs put out by the manufactures of the most popular drives.

These programs will format and partition your hard drives anyway you like, with as many (or one) partitions, and in any file type as well. Using a windows type GUI. It takes all the hard work out of it.

After you download the setup program for your hard drive, just run it and it will create a boot disk (which you can run from a USB drive). Boot from this and the program will run, if you then want to stipulate the number or partitions, just choose advanced setup and it will direct you from there.

So here is the linkage enjoy :).

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

http://www.fujitsu.ca/support/hdd/download.html

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...iskManager.html

You have a text file ready with all those links don't you bowiee?

:P

lol yep.

are you installing it through windows itself, or are u pressing del on restart and booting straight off the disc?

I have tried both ways and I still get the same results.

What happens when you try to manually delete partitions when booting off the CD?

Hello there, I am unable to delete any partitions, if i try to it comes up with a error message saying something along the lines off "unable to delete partition, some files are required to continue with instalation process."

I have tried both ways and I still get the same results.

Did you try the above tools ?

Are you sure you're booting to the CD and not an alternate boot.ini option on the HDD?

That's what these people with the same problem were doing.

A alternate boot.ini option on the HDD?, sorry could you please explain that for me? Thank you.

What happens when you try to manually delete partitions when booting off the CD?

Hello there, I am unable to delete any partitions, if i try to it comes up with a error message saying something along the lines off "unable to delete partition, some files are required to continue with instalation process."

That means the windows install is continuing and you are not actually booting in to the cd install menu.

You need to hit a key on the keyboard, when asked, to actually boot from the cd. It will say something like "press any key to boot from the CD".

Or as both Bowiee and I suggested get a 3rd party boot cd with drive management tools and use them to delete the partition.

Are you sure you're booting to the CD and not an alternate boot.ini option on the HDD?

That's what these people with the same problem were doing.

A alternate boot.ini option on the HDD?, sorry could you please explain that for me? Thank you.

You've done the attempt to install from Windows first, right?

Which means part of the install was copied to the HDD. I don't think you've actually managed to boot from CD at any point. As aliali mentions, that only happens when you press any key when the press any key to boot from CD option appears.