Sign in to follow this  
G-relk

A question regards gigabit networking

First up, a brief description of the way my network is layed out:

shitty telstra supplied thomson wireless modem/router up the other end of the house in dads room

---> ethernet to dads PC,

---> ethernet to my sisters PC.

---> ethernet to my room all the way at the other end of the house

---> into a cheap 10/100 switch that goes to both of my PC's, and now my 1TB NAS.

So, my new NAS will only be accessed by my two computers; dad doesnt have anything on his PC he needs backed up, and my sister barely knows how to use a computer, so she wont need it (nor do i want her whinging to me when it doesnt work or some stupid shit). ive already backed up most of my PC onto it, but it took a fair while to backup; so would putting a gigabit switch in my room just for my PC's and NAS help speed this up a bit?? or will it see that my modem is only 10/100 and default to that speed and thus have no effect on my network speed whatsoever??

next up: if a gigabit switch will help speed up my backups, whats a decent brand?? PCcasegear have an 8 port TP-link for $69 but cheap != good (usually at least). and if thats not a good choice, then whats atomics reccomendation.

if it helps, the two computers in my rom are the ones in my sig, and both will be running windows 7 ult x64. the NAS is a WD MyBook world edition 1TB

NEXT UP: i want to make my NAS password protected (or, at least, the folder that has all my "important information" in it), so if dad decides to snoop around on my network he wont be able to find anything. So whats the easiest way to do that, and how do i do it??

thanks heaps in advance

G-relk

Yes a gigabit switch should speed things up so long as the devices you are transferring to all have gigabit ports, your cabling is cat5e or cat6 and the devices and drives can read and write fast enough. Speed will slow to 100Mbit if you transfer files too or from any device with a 100Mbit network port. With a switch the data will go between your PCs and NAS and not touch the modem at all.

The switch network ports and cable quality will determine local (in your room) network speed.

TP-Link are Chinese made but seem to be fairly good, at leas the modems I have tried have all been reliable. Actually I am waiting for them to bring out a wireless modem/router with 4 x Gigabit ports. Saves having yet another device plugged in.

As for protecting folders probably RTM on the NAS. Look for info on permissions or access rights.

Yes a gigabit switch should speed things up so long as the devices you are transferring to all have gigabit ports, your cabling is cat5e or cat6 and the devices and drives can read and write fast enough. Speed will slow to 100Mbit if you transfer files too or from any device with a 100Mbit network port. With a switch the data will go between your PCs and NAS and not touch the modem at all.

The switch network ports and cable quality will determine local (in your room) network speed.

TP-Link are Chinese made but seem to be fairly good, at leas the modems I have tried have all been reliable. Actually I am waiting for them to bring out a wireless modem/router with 4 x Gigabit ports. Saves having yet another device plugged in.

As for protecting folders probably RTM on the NAS. Look for info on permissions or access rights.

awesome, thanks for that info. all my cables are cat6 im sure (theres only one im not sure about, but ill look on the cable itself and see what its tagged as), so i should be fine.

and TP-Link do have one right here here

and ill look into permissions on it. i dont think ill have any probs, but it doesnt hurt to be doubly sure.

EDIT: i certainly read that properly on PCCG's site, how dare you propose otherwise!!! :P

Edited by G-relk

awesome, thanks for that info. all my cables are cat6 im sure (theres only one im not sure about, but ill look on the cable itself and see what its tagged as), so i should be fine.

Cat5e is quite suitable for Gigabit speeds especially shorter runs.

and TP-Link do have one right here here

and ill look into permissions on it. i dont think ill have any probs, but it doesnt hurt to be doubly sure.

EDIT: i certainly read that properly on PCCG's site, how dare you propose otherwise!!! :P

Ye that has caught me a few times with several manufacturers, Most seem to be now making gigabit routers, but I want the modem included as well dammit.

There is the Billion 7800N

http://au.billion.com/product/wireless/bipac7800n.php

which apparently has a Broadcom chipset. I need the Broadcom chipset as it is far more stable on my crappy phone line (60dB attenuation). Other chipsets seem to lose connectivity and sync several times a day.

Whereas the Broadcom chipped TP-Link just keeps on trucking.

yeah, two of them (one to the nas, the other to my second PC) were only cat 5 cables, so i canabalized a spare 5m cat6 i had and used it for all 3 of my PC's and freed up my good 10M cat 6 that i was using on my main PC. goddamn cat6 is a bitch to put the connectors onto though! also ordered the switch that i linked in my first post, so once that arrives ill have even more networking stuff to fiddle with. yay :|

another problem thats cropped up, and im not sure whether its my motherboard, OS, or what, but my second computer (thats runing a hacked version of 7 ult) refuses to get a correct IP address unless i set the speed of the connection on that PC to 10Mbit full duplex. manually setting it to auto negate or 100Mbit full duplex just gives me a limited or no connectivity problem.

Ive tried to assign it a static IP address on my modem to no avail. manually setting the IP address/DNS on the PC also didnt help. this is with the latest win7 drivers off the realtek website.

next step is to try some vista x64 drivers and see if that helps. im not getting my hopes up though... :\

EDIT: nope, vista drivers didnt help either, must be the nic. dont even have a spare PCI slot to test with a PCI NIC either :(

/new motherboard time

EDIT2: going to try another cable, see if the one i crimped up is flaky...

EDIT3: ghey, it was the cable *re-crimps a new cable*

Edited by G-relk

Um you set static Ips on the PC dude, not in the modem that is if you want the PC to keep a specific IP.

As for the dodgy crimp, suspect cables first they are the most easily damaged and easiest to check.

As for the dodgy crimp, suspect cables first they are the most easily damaged and easiest to check.

yeah, i know. you think i ever check them first though? no.

EDIT: all fixed now. the cable for my NAS was also borked, glad i check that. one cable was obvious, some of the wires were twisted. the other cable was not so obvious. the green/white and blue/white were around the wrong way, but they were twisted so it wasnt very obvious unless you look closely. all up and running and at full speed now. awesome :D

Edited by G-relk