orinjuse

Spoils of trade

I've been thoroughly taking advantage of the current exchange rate against many of the major global currencies. Perhaps I should have waited for it to go up even more, but with the recent rate rises I doubt it will, and it's been bobbing around US$0.92 for a while now.

So, leveraging the exchange against the yen and Hong Kong dollar, I bought myself a new Nikon D300s DSLR and Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 lens from some HK-based traders on eBay, for significantly less than from a local retailer (as in, I basically got the lens for free comparatively).

Against the US dollar, I bought a pair of Leatherman Charge TTis, a sharpener and two of the Moleskine notepads I like from Amazon US. They wouldn't ship here, so I mailed them to a colleague in California, who sent them to me in a box labelled 'polishing cloths'. Including shipping of US$41, I got it all for the price of one Leatherman bought locally.

I haven't been buying anything recently from Bookdepository.co.uk (thanks for blowing my savings there, Tantryl), but only because I'm running out of shelf space.

So what have you lot been spending your ill-gotten, solid-gold Australian tender on?

Me?

Nothing yet...but soon an LCD touchscreen and DC-DC power supply for my latest project. Carputer FTW!

Considering buying some of the other part O/S as well.

Just hope the rate stays the same or around the same for another week or two...damn uni exams!

As a side note...does anyone know if there is any extra customs duties etc to pay if importing less than $500 of electronics?

Just seeing if anyone knows offhand otherwise ill call customs.

/end derail

I've been putting money into an account for my birthday next year in vegas. Otherwise, i've bought a box of 7" from the states and some books.

I'm holding off buying because of thise whole moving thing.

As for the dollar, my expectations is that it will go up a few c more over the next month or so, but nothing major. US$0.95 seems like an upper limit tbh.

Me?

Nothing yet...but soon an LCD touchscreen and DC-DC power supply for my latest project. Carputer FTW!

Considering buying some of the other part O/S as well.

Just hope the rate stays the same or around the same for another week or two...damn uni exams!

As a side note...does anyone know if there is any extra customs duties etc to pay if importing less than $500 of electronics?

Just seeing if anyone knows offhand otherwise ill call customs.

/end derail

as far as i was aware, you're sweet for less up to $900.

Certainly no chance of it hitting parity but it can only work in our favour (at least on our scale) to continue to go up :)

P.S Thanks heaps juggs :) Good to know. Would hate to buy shiny new tech to save money and then get reamed by customs.

Edited by Techieintraining

as far as i was aware, you're sweet for less up to $900.

I think it's $1000, but best bet is to call/email them. They advised me on the Leathermen (Leathermans?) after I asked if importing knives was an issue.

Unless I'm forgetting something I think that higher interest rates will actually result in a more favourable AUD. AUD earns better interest than it did a couple of weeks ago, and thus people are more inclined to hold them, and demand goes up.

Of course, given how many variables go into FX rates, who knows if it will continue to rise or not.

[edit]: And to actually answer your question, nothing unfortunately. It might've influenced my decision to buy the XKCD signed book, but that's about all. Given I don't really have much of a disposal income atm it kinda makes sense :P

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Putting together an Amazon order. Some W.E.B. DuBois, Carl Sagan, Mencken, James Watson, Howard Gardner, Henry Giroux, Ralph Ellison and biographies of Bram Fischer and Ronnie Kasrils. Brian Cox's new book, too.

Got a few bits and bobs from Amazon -- Metropole, 2666, some Franz Kafka and Albert Camus, the awesome new Wizard of Oz Blu ray box set (which now seems to be gone from Amazon's stocks), Oryx and Crake, and Year of the Flood. A few more I'd like to get, but those will have to wait now.

Got a few bits and bobs from Amazon -- Metropole, 2666, some Franz Kafka and Albert Camus, the awesome new Wizard of Oz Blu ray box set (which now seems to be gone from Amazon's stocks), Oryx and Crake, and Year of the Flood. A few more I'd like to get, but those will have to wait now.

If this was Reddit you would be getting my upvote for Kafka and Camus. But it isn't, so you're not.

Unless I'm forgetting something I think that higher interest rates will actually result in a more favourable AUD. AUD earns better interest than it did a couple of weeks ago, and thus people are more inclined to hold them, and demand goes up.

Of course, given how many variables go into FX rates, who knows if it will continue to rise or not.

[edit]: And to actually answer your question, nothing unfortunately. It might've influenced my decision to buy the XKCD signed book, but that's about all. Given I don't really have much of a disposal income atm it kinda makes sense :P

Rob.

Thats what all my reading has been saying too. Something about looking like a much better investment with higher interest rates, which drives the value of the dollar up. So along those lines, with a couple more interest rate rises on the way, our dollar should rise up a few more cents.

or at least, thats my understanding from what i've been reading. i could be wrong...

First thought: Rough trade.

Second thought: Why the hell was that my first thought?

nothing.

I'm pumping money into the mortgage as fast as I can while rates are where they are.

It hurts :-|

EDIT : Actually I just built the kids a new PC and will be picking up a GPU for them in Sing next week, so the above isn't strictly accurate...

Edited by Mac Dude

Putting together an Amazon order. Some W.E.B. DuBois, Carl Sagan, Mencken, James Watson, Howard Gardner, Henry Giroux, Ralph Ellison and biographies of Bram Fischer and Ronnie Kasrils. Brian Cox's new book, too.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

or

http://www.bookdepository.com/

will net you greater savings than Amazon.

The prices on Amazon are sometimes cheaper, but you have to pay for postage. So if you're doing a big order, it can end up cheaper from Amazon.

Also, I just checked and it's slightly cheaper buying through Book Depository in US dollars rather than pounds.

Edited by orinjuse

The problem is, a lot of prices in the world have risen since the GFC. Particularly camera gear. So despite the fact that our currency has risen again, so have the prices in the US. I bought most of the lenses for my old Canon 30D from overseas, both US and HK. Saved about $1300 (a pitty I didn't realise this when I bought the camera body in the first place!). I could probably get a similar saving, but probably not quite as close.

<sidenote>

Interest rates drive the dollar up because of forex arbitrage - traders borrow currency in an economy with a low interest rate (eg Japan, US) and invest that money in AU where it earns significantly more interest than they pay on the loan. Increased demand for AUD means a higher price relative to other currencies.

</sidenote>

Me, I bought some Nike gear from the US for about half the AU price, and of course the new iMac we got although it was priced in AUD was a lot better value because of the x-rate.

Edited by zephyr

I bought a case of Tooheys New yesterday.

Jesus man, I didn't times were that tough for you.

'