I am using Bigpond cable as my primary internet connection, TPG adsl as a backup / test / large downloads connection. (Yes, I have both)

It really depends what you want to do on your internet connection. If you want to download large files, maybe look at ADSL if it's available. The prices on Bigpond cable are not worth it. If you know you get high sync speeds on an ADSL connection, look at ADSL.

Personally I prefer the lower latency and high speeds that I get on Bigpond cable. (100-200ms less latency to US when compared to TPG during peak game times, and 30Mbit/s downloads from files.bigpond.com compared to sync speeds of at most 6Mbit on ADSL)

In terms of stability, I won't fault either connection. Yes sometimes one or the other goes down (very rare) but that's what you get on a domestic connection.

I am using Bigpond cable as my primary internet connection, TPG adsl as a backup / test / large downloads connection. (Yes, I have both)

It really depends what you want to do on your internet connection. If you want to download large files, maybe look at ADSL if it's available. The prices on Bigpond cable are not worth it. If you know you get high sync speeds on an ADSL connection, look at ADSL.

Personally I prefer the lower latency and high speeds that I get on Bigpond cable. (100-200ms less latency to US when compared to TPG during peak game times, and 30Mbit/s downloads from files.bigpond.com compared to sync speeds of at most 6Mbit on ADSL)

In terms of stability, I won't fault either connection. Yes sometimes one or the other goes down (very rare) but that's what you get on a domestic connection.

I would be using it for just general internet stuff...no major downloads of torrents..etc

The pricing is a bit high and I'm not signing up for a home phone service..etc just to get a discount. Place where I live has crap phone lines installed. Good thing is that I live about 500 meteres approx to the exchange.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by ColonelSanders

It's criminally expensive per GB, but definitely a zippy, low-latency connection.

ADSL is better value, no question.

I've got Bigpond Liberty 25gb for $90 with home phone bundled, but it's the only option that I have as the phone lines around here are shot to hell.

$90 for 25gb, there are much better options on the market, but as for me, I have to suffer with the stranglehold of Telstra.

I use Bigpond cable and can't wait until my local exchange is ADSL2 enabled by someone other than Telstra.

Then I'll finally be able to get away from Telstra.

Two reasons,

One - Telstra on the whole have proven to be incompetent at dealing with problems/or changes to my accounts over the years. Sure there are individuals who are competent and helpful within the organization. The trick is finding them...

Two - Bigpond cable is expensive for the bandwidth allowances offered. Sure I prefer the speed and lowish latency but the return doesn't quite balance the cost.

So - it's a good (if somewhat overpriced) service with a generally lamentable customer service record in my experience.

I have BigPond Liberty Extreme 25gb for $99pm (no home phone discount as I use my mobile)

Only Telstra DSLAM available on my exchange so its much of a mutchness pricewise for my area between ADSL and Cable

What I do like is the stoikingly fast 30MBps connection and uber low pings

What I dont like is I can cap myself pretty quickly if I dont watch my usage, I did used to rip BP cable off to the max before they updated thier usage meter as I also had a Usenet account and would load all my downloads up for the last few days in the month when they were only scanning every few days.

If timed right you could get full speed overlimit downloads over a 2 to 3 day period :)

best effort was 89gb downloaded on a 8gb plan

mwhahahaha

but now they scan usage alot more frequently and it cannot be done :|

cheers

If timed right you could get full speed overlimit downloads over a 2 to 3 day period :)

mwhahahaha

lolz that would have been plenty sweet

mwhahahaha

lolz that would have been plenty sweet

heh, 89gb over about 60hours

I recon I could have done more if I really tried

Heh. I think I managed damn near 200GB in ~20 hours once, but that's been pretty severely curtailed now.

Bigpond plans are getting updated soon -- likely Dec 1 this year (with almost certainly 100MB speeds for Melb :-D). Might be worth waiting until then. Gotta say though, with the price, I really don't know why you'd bother over ADSL if it's just for "general internet stuff".

Heh. I think I managed damn near 200GB in ~20 hours once, but that's been pretty severely curtailed now.

Bigpond plans are getting updated soon -- likely Dec 1 this year (with almost certainly 100MB speeds for Melb :-D). Might be worth waiting until then. Gotta say though, with the price, I really don't know why you'd bother over ADSL if it's just for "general internet stuff".

100M...

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis??11!

for me thats effing awesome, does Fuzz have linkage?

for general use required as stated by the OP, ADSL is fine, but Cable has a nice snappy feel

BoB from iinet would be my second preference if its available as it requires VoIP which itself requires a healthy connection

Erm... I seem to recall Telstra putting out a press release a while ago saying that they'd start rolling out DOCSIS 3 cable by the end of this year, and Melbourne is the first to get new cable upgrades (due to the tech teams being based here, as well as the relatively high userbase). There are a couple of threads over on whirlpool about it, with info a-plenty. Of course, that would require a new modem and likely a new contract, and I can't say I'm all that optimistic about the plan changes actually being worthwhile.

I'm on bigpond cable, and I will be until I fork out the $300 for a phone line

My local exchange is brimming with ADSL2+ providers.

*strokes chin* Will have to speak my contacts at BP to find out abot these new plans...

My biggest annoyance with Bigpond Cable (other than cost) is the 128kbps upload limit. Makes VPN/VNC-ing very irritating, and even little things like attaching things to emails over webmail are tiresome.

My biggest annoyance with Bigpond Cable (other than cost) is the 128kbps upload limit. Makes VPN/VNC-ing very irritating, and even little things like attaching things to emails over webmail are tiresome.

Argh that sucks

I just want to see some realistic quotas for their cable users, making them relative to the competition e.g. 100gb for $90, $50gb for $49.95 etc.

They might not happen, but hey, a man can dream.

I just want to see some realistic quotas for their cable users, making them relative to the competition e.g. 100gb for $90, $50gb for $49.95 etc.

They might not happen, but hey, a man can dream.

Not really a great plan

Fastest#

BigPond Cable

Extreme® High Speed

$79.95 BigPond Liberty 12GB

upload is over 1mbps for cable not 128kbs

I've been on Bigpond Cable for something like 10 years. It was 128kbps when I started.

And it would appear nothing has changed.

From the plans page, there are the normal Cable plans, which are 8,000/128kbps.

Then there are the extreme plans, that're 17,000/256kbps in most places, but in some areas are "high speed" which is up to 30,000kps down and an unspecified amount up. I'm guessing you're talking about those areas, which have a variable upload speed.

Edited by tantryl

:/

thats harsh, I'd be contacting them and seeing if they can upgrade your connection, your probobly on an old port

mine Posted Image

ahhh, just saw your edit...

yeah thats pretty poor value then depending on your location.

I guess I am lucky to be able to get phat cable

Edited by Betzie

Only Melbourne and Sydney Bigpond Cable Extreme customers get 30/1 speeds. Everyone else gets 17(or 20)/256kbps

I'm in Brisbane, and it's annoying. They tested the higher speeds over a year ago and it was great.

Now I hear melbourne customers may be getting 100Mb by next year, arghhh

Yeah, if you're in the right area, the value is suddenly a lot better, especially for business purposes.

Except that Bigpond don't offer business class plans (ie, a SLA)

Yeah.......I'm on the Cable Extreme 25gb....sometimes I have to bounce up to the 60gb plan but it's unbeatable for speed most of the time.

They did have some half price starter plans.........dunno if they're still available.