Yeah, if you're in the right area, the value is suddenly a lot better, especially for business purposes.

Except that Bigpond don't offer business class plans (ie, a SLA)

I said better, not ideal.

I'm on BP Cable Extreme.

Left them for iiNet ADSL2+, but returned 6ish months later. Distance to the exchange is one thing, but the quality of the copper to and within your house is another. The line quality wasn't good enough to give me a fast or reliable service. ADSL2+ was about one third the speed of BP (non-Extreme) and it would reset once or twice a day.

So, back to Telstra I went...

pity iiNet have no control over the quality of the local loop.

Yep, there is absolutely no incentive for Telstra to trace and fix such a problem which means I'm stuck with their cable...

BigPond cable: Fast and reliable, but criminally expensive quotas.

Also upload speeds range from useless to poor and their call centers are staffed with incompetents with almost no inter-communication

I recently moved and was told 4 different things by people regarding when I could have it installed. When I finally got the day off work to have the guy come around and put it in he advised me "can't do it sorry. You will need to dig a trench and put in a bigger pipe"

Fuck!

Anyway there's no reason to go with BP unless you need the lower ping times s or don't have access to a decent ADSL2 exchange

Yeah, if you're in the right area, the value is suddenly a lot better, especially for business purposes.

Because Bigpond is for consumers and not businesses - this is part of the change of Telstra splitting off their consumer and business divisions. From what I understand Telstra have separate systems ("business grade") and offers for business internet.

Because Bigpond is for consumers and not businesses - this is part of the change of Telstra splitting off their consumer and business divisions. From what I understand Telstra have separate systems ("business grade") and offers for business internet.

yup, and telstra don't offer any business plans on cable. I don't know why, it may be due to the fact that they have a policy of not offering static IPs on cable. (I'm not sure if it's a technical limitation, or simply to (weakly) deter the use of servers)

I thought they didn't offer business plans on cable because of it's instability in the olden days?

(That's what I was told anyway......)

I thought they didn't offer business plans on cable because of it's instability in the olden days?

(That's what I was told anyway......)

I think that's true...also Cable had limitations regarding how many connections could physically come out of the exchange..etc

Say, are they going to be reviewing and hopefully making their plans any cheaper ? Any word on that ? :(

though Melbourne customers will be getting access to 100Mb/2Mb if they buy a new docsis3 modem.

bastards :( !

Damnit, i hate being stuck on this 12gb plan while everyone else is youtubing away :(

stupid telstra :@

Edited by anndy

bastards :( !

Damnit, i hate being stuck on this 12gb plan while everyone else is youtubing away :(

stupid telstra :@

Pay the extra for the 25GB plan.

Was in at a Telstra Shop today and asked about the Melbourne upgrade. They were pretty vague, but continually indicated that current plans would be cheaper for everyone - I assume they meant cable, but I'm not sure. I was told I have to wait until December 1st. I will wait with interest - speed is more important than quota for me...

Hey guys, lookie what i found - http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/med...?ObjectID=46084

Scroll down a bit for the revised plans and pricing.

Quick question, I'm on the bigpond liberty 12gig plan right now, for 59.95. Now, if i changed to the new plan, Bigpond liberty 25gig plan, which should be at the same price (59.95), would they restart my contracts for another full 24 months? Or would I have 25gigs until the end of my current contract? (feb '10)

Hey guys, lookie what i found - http://www.telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/med...?ObjectID=46084

Scroll down a bit for the revised plans and pricing.

Quick question, I'm on the bigpond liberty 12gig plan right now, for 59.95. Now, if i changed to the new plan, Bigpond liberty 25gig plan, which should be at the same price (59.95), would they restart my contracts for another full 24 months? Or would I have 25gigs until the end of my current contract? (feb '10)

No, you can change once per month and it has no effect on your contract. Just changed up to the 200GB plan. Yum.

Oh sweet. Though, just noticed, and I hope this isn't right. The 25gig turbo plan is still priced at 79.95 when I go to change my plan. I thought that my current plan was made cheaper since i was on a 24 month contract and had telstra for my homephone, making it 59.95 instead of what it originally was. Am I missing something here? :(