Chazzozz

WinMo vs Android vs iPhone vs ?

My faithful Palm Treo 750 has served me exceptionally well over the last three years, but it's time to look at updating to a new handset. Ideally, I really want to replace it with the Palm Pre that's been making waves in America for the last 6 months, but it doesn't look like it'll be coming to Oz any time soon and I'm kinda getting tired of waiting. So, this reduces my choices to another Windows Mobile phone, give Android a try, or cave in to the allure of the iPhone. I know there's Nokia's Symbian, but I just cannot get excited about it, and as far as I'm concerned Blackberry is simply WiMo in disguise.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the three different OSes and can give some insight. I have two main considerations:

1. Tethering. I currently use my Treo as a modem for my laptop for on-the-go wireless Internet. This is essential.

2. Telstra. Simply for the reason of much greater coverage where I live and work, it needs to be available on Next G.

A less-vital point is that I'd like to go for a touch-interface.

I'm quite used to Windows Mobile, having started out with 5 on the Treo and upgraded to 6 about a year later. The interface is comfortable and familiar, and I know for a fact that it will tether with a Windows-based laptop without any trouble. The new WiMo 6.5 looks pretty sexy, especially on the touch handsets, and I've been told there's an App Store coming soon.

I know nothing about Android, so I have no opinion about it. I've read that people have a lot of good things to say about it, but apart from close integration with other Google tools does it really have anything else to offer? I don't use Google Docs, Maps, GMail, etc, so I'm wondering if it would have any real value for me.

Now, the iPhone....my daughter has one and I've been allowed to use it (on a strictly limited basis!) a couple of times and I have to admit I like it. The interface is slick and easy to use, the iPod functions work brilliantly (and why wouldn't they?), the App Store is filling up with lots of interesting stuff, and it can't be beaten for storage. The main problem with it is I've had conflicting reports about tethering, being told "Yes, it can", "No, it can't", and "Yes, it can, but Telstra's turned it off on the network".

Therefore, I'm reaching out to the Atomic community and asking if anyone can offer some advice and thoughts.

Tethering on Windows Mobile is stupidly simple, and very powerful (it worked under Ubuntu without any config. Was impressive!).

WinMo is "ugly" but functional. For your NextG requirement, perhaps something in the vein of the Palm Treo Pro? Not the newest handset out, but solid, sexy and pretty damn powerful. The Marketplace is already out, and starting to build momentum. The quality of apps in it has risen dramatically over the past month. The Treo Pro doesn't have an official upgrade to 6.5, however XDA-Developers have unofficial ones that work brilliantly.

The latest builds of WinMo (dubbed 6.5.1) take touch-friendliness to the next level. It's v impressive considering the core it's based on.

I like Android, but it's multitasking seemed cumbersome in comparison to my Omnia (compared to my mates Hero, with TaskKiller installed). The iPhone cannot multi-task many apps at all, so that rules it out for myself.

Tethering on the iPhone is hit-and-miss in my mates experience. It's activated, but simply didn't work (does anyone know whether it needs iTunes installed to work?).

I don't know about Telstra but tethering an iPhone on Vodafone is simple and included in your plan.

Now, the iPhone....my daughter has one and I've been allowed to use it (on a strictly limited basis!) a couple of times and I have to admit I like it. The interface is slick and easy to use, the iPod functions work brilliantly (and why wouldn't they?), the App Store is filling up with lots of interesting stuff, and it can't be beaten for storage. The main problem with it is I've had conflicting reports about tethering, being told "Yes, it can", "No, it can't", and "Yes, it can, but Telstra's turned it off on the network".

Therefore, I'm reaching out to the Atomic community and asking if anyone can offer some advice and thoughts.

Do these "unofficial" versions of WinMo 6.5 include a licence from Microsoft to use it in such a way?

What's the difference between this and "Warez"?

Wouldn't a better option be to buy the hardware with a valid licence, eg one of the new HTC phones.

. The Treo Pro doesn't have an official upgrade to 6.5, however XDA-Developers have unofficial ones that work brilliantly.

Edited by hill60606

Ha. Love that you have to resort to that rather than merely pointing out why your choice would be better in your opinion. It's brilliant :)

Do these "unofficial" versions of WinMo 6.5 include a licence from Microsoft to use it in such a way?

What's the difference between this and "Warez"?

Wouldn't a better option be to buy the hardware with a valid licence, eg one of the new HTC phones.

. The Treo Pro doesn't have an official upgrade to 6.5, however XDA-Developers have unofficial ones that work brilliantly.

No Microsoft dosent include a licence in such a way. But the funny thing is they encourage development of roms and the like. Unlike other company's.

Sure its similar to Jail breaking your iphone but without the consequences of it.

I would probably agree though to buy one of the new HTC phones like the HD touch pro 2 or the diamond 2.

Or we could go to another ball game which is android on the HTC hero for instance which rocks and even has the same GUI as touch flow 3d for WinMo. Both are very good options.

I'm just wondering why in this area of Atomic such behaviour is allowed, yet in other area's would result in banning.

As mobile phone's converge to become more like computers, wouldn't the rules also need to converge?

So what's the difference between this and advising someone who bought a netbook with Windows XP of where they could get a hacked copy of Windows 7 for it?

It's more for reasons of clarification, why is there some sort of imaginary line where on mobile devices piracy seems to be ok?

Ha. Love that you have to resort to that rather than merely pointing out why your choice would be better in your opinion. It's brilliant :)

I remember a certain steve bamler talking to WinMo devs from XDA this year talking about WinMo 7 and how WinMo wouldn't be what it is today without XDA and the rom dev community.

I dont understand why it would been seen as Warez.

I'm just wondering why in this area of Atomic such behaviour is allowed, yet in other area's would result in banning.

As mobile phone's converge to become more like computers, wouldn't the rules also need to converge?

So what's the difference between this and advising someone who bought a netbook with Windows XP of where they could get a hacked copy of Windows 7 for it?

It's more for reasons of clarification, why is there some sort of imaginary line where on mobile devices piracy seems to be ok?

We do not ban people for discussing piracy. We never have and, hopefully, we never will. We do ask that people not give instructions on how to perform illegal acts, and do not tolerate people asking for the same.

Here's the link for Windows Marketplace for WinMo 6.0 & 6.1 phones

mp.windowsphone.com

Microsoft have also released a desktop version so that applications can be downloaded to a PC and installed on a WinMo phone.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft take any steps to protect the IP of Marketplace developers.

Edited by hill60606

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft take any steps to protect the IP of Marketplace developers.

(If I'm reading what you mean right) I agree.

After reading the thread about the HTC HD2 (and similar praise at Engadget) I'm seriously considering this handset. I've been talking to other people about the iPhone and it seems like tethering is something of a hit-and-miss affair. I'm already familiar with WinMo and tethering to a Windows box is a no-brainer. I had a play around with some WinMo 6.5 phones at the T[life] shop in Brisbane City and was mightily impressed. It also seems to me that HTC have this end of the market all sewn up, other manufacturers just don't even come close.

Oddly enough, tethering works with Ubuntu out of the box as well :P

For what? Windows Mobile or iPhone?

I've tethered my Treo (WinMo 6.0) in Ubuntu but I used a third-party driver to do it.

Windows Mobile, using 6.1

Worked without a hitch. Threw me for a loop actually, didn't expect it to work at all heh.

If you insist on going with Windows Mobile, i would suggest the HTC HD2

But, before that, i would suggest the iPhone, only because i have one, and I haven't had any troubles with it. Another benefit is that i use a mac and it syncs very well with it.

I haven't had any problems with tethering either. I have 1gb of bandwidth included in my plan, and it is just taken out of there, with no extra charge.

Being an apple man, i would recommend iPhone 1st, then the HD2 2nd

Well that would be a sensible choice if you had already committed in a larger sense to an Apple-centric ecosystem. You own a Mac, buy an iPhone. You own a PC, buy an HD2. If you are undecided, then it works out that off-contract, the HD2 is cheaper. That says a lot, given that when you compare them pound for pound on hardware, the HD2 smashes the iPhone. In raw hardware terms, its a generation or more ahead of the iPhone. Then again, the iPhone software platform, including the impressive App Store, and the seemingly ubiquitous iTunes (which I don't understand -- I use it at work to play music off my colleague's iPods, and it blows, the library management is atrocious, organisation is weird, the UI is annoying and not obvious, not to mention the aggressive proprietary only-ipods-or-get-bent stance, ask Palm lol), is a very impressive option. What kills the iPhone for me is that as wonderful as the apps are, you can run almost all of them on an iPod touch. So my reasoning goes like this:

HD2 outright and unlocked, from the UK works out at current exchange rates to be about $830.

iPhone outright is $1049 (32GB version). The hardware is matched (with the exception of GSM and UMTS radios, and a GPS receiver) by an iPod Touch at $399 (32GB version). $550 seems a lot to pay for the radios lol.

So here, in bullet points:

-- Hardware: HD2, by a country mile

-- Software ecosystem: iPhone, but with the qualification that WinMo is very open and there are lots of apps you can sideload, including good GPS software (I use TomTom), and the ever-present xda-developers is an amazing resource

-- Price: HD2

-- Integration with your main computer: depends on OS, but HD2 can bypass the horrid iTunes software (admittedly that is a personal judgement, you may disagree, and I bet hill60606 does lol), so HD2 for PC

-- UI: I'll be controversial here and say the HD2, renowned as the iPhone is, the UI is *very* simplistic, grid style apps only, totally locked down without a jailbreak, and offers far less integration with Facebook (contact details, pictures, birthdays into calendar), Twitter (HD2 Peep tab in TouchFlo3D vs various Twitter apps, that cannot be run simultaneously with other apps on the iPhone), and there is a lot more happening in TF3D, not to mention customisation to the nth degree on WinMo

I came down on the HD2 side almost as soon as the hardware specs were released, and the UI videos that now are everywhere on the intertubes are just icing on the cake.

HD2 > iPhone, for the reasons above.

Sorry to burst your bubble but saying on hardware terms that a phone that doesn't even make it into the top 10 in this list "smashes" the iPhone 3GS, which just happens to be number 1, could be construed as a slight overexaggeration.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?orde...nchmark=glpro11

That says a lot, given that when you compare them pound for pound on hardware, the HD2 smashes the iPhone. In raw hardware terms, its a generation or more ahead of the iPhone.

Yeah the iphone is more powerful you'd have downs not to say that.

Hrm. I'm unsure whether this is actually true, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that Snapdragon should be more powerful than a Cortex A8.

I addition, a GL-Benchmark isn't a fair comparison considering that the HD2 has double the resolution to push, and most Windows Mobile OpenGL drivers suck (much to my disgust).

Nethertheless the ARM Cortex A8 is current technology, for hardware "a generation or more" behind as the poster I was replying to stated you'd have to look at something like the Nokia N97.

In fact the Snapdragon is similar to the processor used in the iPhone 3GS.

" The Scorpion core (shown in Figure 1) is similar to ARM's Cortex-A8, which also implements the ARMv7 architecture. Like the Cortex-A8, Scorpion is a superscalar, dual-issue machine, and supports the powerful, signal-processing-oriented NEON instruction set extensions and VFPv3 floating-point extensions (referred to collectively on Scorpion as the "VeNum" media processing engine). Scorpion will be supported by ARM's standard software development tools, and Qualcomm expects to offer off-the-shelf multimedia codec software that uses VeNum."

Source:-

http://www.dspdesignline.com/showArticle.j...cleID=204700527

Toshiba seemed to get the best results out of the Snapdragon in the tests I linked to before.

Yeah the iphone is more powerful you'd have downs not to say that.

Hrm. I'm unsure whether this is actually true, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that Snapdragon should be more powerful than a Cortex A8.

I addition, a GL-Benchmark isn't a fair comparison considering that the HD2 has double the resolution to push, and most Windows Mobile OpenGL drivers suck (much to my disgust).

Edited by hill60606

Oh agreed. They're both superscalar CPU's based on the same instruction set :)

As usual it seems HTC have shafted us on the Graphic Driver front. It's the TyTN 2 all over again, which is why I've vowed never to purchase a HTC model again.