Chazzozz

WinMo vs Android vs iPhone vs ?

Wait until next year, we should start seeing multi-core.

Oh agreed. They're both superscalar CPU's based on the same instruction set :)

As usual it seems HTC have shafted us on the Graphic Driver front. It's the TyTN 2 all over again, which is why I've vowed never to purchase a HTC model again.

Sorry to burst your bubble but saying on hardware terms that a phone that doesn't even make it into the top 10 in this list "smashes" the iPhone 3GS, which just happens to be number 1, could be construed as a slight overexaggeration.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?orde...nchmark=glpro11

That says a lot, given that when you compare them pound for pound on hardware, the HD2 smashes the iPhone. In raw hardware terms, its a generation or more ahead of the iPhone.

Um yes, of course, based on one benchmark that does not account for the difference in resolution, the iPhone wins, and all the other points I made are irrelevant. Clearly not.

What of all the other results? The browsing tests? The media bitrate playback? And that's leaving aside points like the inability of the iPhone to play none but four of possible video file formats. Or multi-tasking, etc. etc. ad infinitum about the missing features, sacrificed for the sake of a software environment that is a) closed and vigorously defended and b) asks you to pay for some of the best software.

Come on, if you would like to disagree with my conclusions hill, address all the points I make.

You specifically said on the hardware front the iPhone is a few generations behind, I proved with links to back up that it isn't.

Now you start babbling on about software and video codecs.

iPhone obviously SMASHES the HTC in gaming with it's UP TO THE MINUTE hardware, the EXCEPTIONALLY high openGL score is reflected in the SPEED of it's interface which SMASHES the sense UI of the HTC offering.

Another area the iPhone 3GS SMASHES the HD2 on the hardware front is in audio quality

Test	Frequency response	Noise level	Dynamic range	THD	IMD + Noise	Stereo crosstalk
HTC HD2	+0.39, -2.99		-89.0			 89.1		0.057	  0.960	-87.5
iPho 3GS	+0.01, -0.05		-92.1			 92.1		0.0035	  0.011	-95.0

Posted Image

Source:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_htd2-review-418p8.php

As you can see the distortion levels are quite high when compared to the best, which has virtually perfect sound output, I'll put that down HTC using audio hardware that is a generation or two behind, that might also explain the rapid drop off in the treble.

blah, blah blah...

Come on, if you would like to disagree with my conclusions hill, address all the points I make.

Edited by hill60606

*waits for Zune HD phone*

Yeah I didn't account into the rez on the phone. Even my diamond has a better rez then the iphone : /

What's your point? It's designed for specifically for GPU tasks. If GPUs were made from high end CPU cores, they'd be extremely expensive, extremely power hungry, and extremely large.

Perfect frequency response != perfect sound quality, just btw. At least in my subjective view. I've not heard the HD2 however :)

If you notice the rez of 2-5 on the list they are even lower (240x320) it didn't stop the 3GS from beating them did it?

re: Zune phone, don't hold your breath:-

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10...r.team.at.risk/

besides it's screen resolution (480 x 272 px) is lower than the iPhone, the HD in it's name refers to HD radio.

*waits for Zune HD phone*

Yeah I didn't account into the rez on the phone. Even my diamond has a better rez then the iphone : /

Edited by hill60606

Yawn...

Maybe they should show more cars at once, throw in some nice effects and make it in Australia.

Go Firemint!

An example of Tegra at work. Should see some interesting things once more devs get into it.

I'm not comparing the Zune HD to the iPhone. The Tegra can be accessed in Australia, it's not a Zune exclusive. And if you insist on comparing, don't choose a game with a static in-car image, slow movement vehicles, and limited background objects.

The other advantage to Tegra is it's power efficiency since it doesn't have run a full fledged CPU to do GPU tasks.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

You mean something like the PowerVR SGX GPU the iPhone 3GS uses?

http://www.imgtec.com/powervr/sgx_series5.asp

Firemint is an Australian company commissioned by Volkswagen to release a free version of their 'Real Racing' App to promote the GTI.

Go Aussies!

You may have noticed the hands on the steering wheel moving and the numbers on the gauges changing...

...static, pfft!

btw you can change the camera views in the game.

I'm not comparing the Zune HD to the iPhone. The Tegra can be accessed in Australia, it's not a Zune exclusive. And if you insist on comparing, don't choose a game with a static in-car image, slow movement vehicles, and limited background objects.

The other advantage to Tegra is it's power efficiency since it doesn't have run a full fledged CPU to do GPU tasks.

Edited by hill60606

Dont worry Cyber there isnt any point having a discussion with a fanboy. Its like talking to a brick wall or 1shot.

Edited by mudg3

If you notice the rez of 2-5 on the list they are even lower (240x320) it didn't stop the 3GS from beating them did it?

Of course not, they're all ARM11. The iPhone 3GS has this-generation hardware :)

The TG01 and HD2 are behind the 8-ball here because of the lack of decent OpenGL drivers (HATE HTC for this, the TG01 comes out a lot better because it seems Toshiba actually care) and because they push double the pixel count. Were they to have the same res, I would imagine it to be on par.

"Fanboy" the common retort of someone who cannot admit that the original contention i.e. that the HTC Pro HD2 is a couple of generations ahead in hardware and "smashes" the iPhone in performance.

Now back to the OpenGL tests, the iPhone IS NOT outputting @ 16 bit colour, the HTC may have a higher screen resolution BUT it is outputting it with only 65k colours vs 16 million colours.

Sometimes it is hard for people to face up to the fact that "pound for pound" the hardware of the iPhone 3GS is up there with the best and latest.

Build a bridge.

Dont worry Cyber there isnt any point having a discussion with a fanboy. Its like talking to a brick wall or aimbot.

Edited by hill60606

Well, it can compete yes. It lacks in some areas and is the best in some areas. No perfect phone ;)

Seeing as how someone brought up the Zune, I wonder how long it will be before Australian shoppers are met with such a spontaneous display (lame attempt at viral marketing) as this:-

"Fanboy" the common retort of someone who cannot admit that the original contention i.e. that the HTC Pro HD2 is a couple of generations ahead in hardware and "smashes" the iPhone in performance.

I totally agree with you that the iPhone is an awesome phone. That doesn't stop you being a fanboy though!

Edited by iamthemaxx

I have been musing on and off this week thinking I might like some internet on my phone. My V9 comes off contract soonish and it's pretty crappy tbh.

After a few hours of whirlpooling and reading smartphone reviews I have had enough!

The $49 from optus gives me a 32gbS + $19 and 250MB of data (yuk) I think I might hold off till the Android HTC hits unless I can get a really cheap HTC hero off contract.

Problem is I think my data is currently charged @ .05c per kilobyte or something that would clock up fast on a truly data capable phone.

When will the phone company's release a girlfriend / no girlfriend plan? I need a $50 -$70 plan when I have a lady and a $10 plan when I don't.

I need a phone that can USB direct as an external drive (or micro SD) that can play AVI's daily show etc without conversion Does the HTC HD2 do that? Surely the iphone is next to useless as a video player?

Check out the LG Veiwty Smart...

...very nice, 8 megapixel camera to boot.

I have been musing on and off this week thinking I might like some internet on my phone. My V9 comes off contract soonish and it's pretty crappy tbh.

After a few hours of whirlpooling and reading smartphone reviews I have had enough!

The $49 from optus gives me a 32gbS + $19 and 250MB of data (yuk) I think I might hold off till the Android HTC hits unless I can get a really cheap HTC hero off contract.

Problem is I think my data is currently charged @ .05c per kilobyte or something that would clock up fast on a truly data capable phone.

When will the phone company's release a girlfriend / no girlfriend plan? I need a $50 -$70 plan when I have a lady and a $10 plan when I don't.

I need a phone that can USB direct as an external drive (or micro SD) that can play AVI's daily show etc without conversion Does the HTC HD2 do that? Surely the iphone is next to useless as a video player?

Its like talking to a brick wall or aimbot.

Wow.

I didn't even post in this thread and you're taking shots for no fucking reason.

Way to be a tool.

Anyone with the HD2, I suggest you get over to xda-developers and have a look. The oem display drivers are poor on the HD2, but the good folks at xda have fixed them up and released their own set. The improvements are impressive to say the least, going by the glbenchmark improvements:

glBenchmark

Attached are some glBenchmark results of the various patch revisions. Some awesome improvements in the HD and Pro tests, as well as kTriangles/s. Though glBenchmark is nice, these figures do need to be taken with a grain of salt - it's not all that is important, smoothness and compatibility are also important.

Here's a grab out of the results.

Stock HD2 vs Patch 1.1

GLBenchmark HD ES 1.1: 487% ~ 1598 Frames up from 328

GLBenchmark HD ES 1.1 no GPU Skinning: 502% ~ 1647 Frames up from 328

GLBenchmark PRO ES 1.1: 107% ~ 229 Frames up from 215

GLBenchmark Pro ES 1.1 no GPU Skinning: 157% ~ 625 Frames up from 397

Swapbuffer speed: 496% ~ 556 up from 112

Averages: Lights: 116% ~ 1550 kTriangles/s up from 1350

Averages: Texture Filter: 159% ~ 2150 kTriangles/s up from 1350

Averages: Texture Size: 158% ~ 2150 kTriangles/s up from 1350

Averages: Triangles: 161% ~ 2150 kTriangles/s up from 1350

Link:

xda-developers

Yeah Kenno, I was just about to post the link there.

Hill, the point I made therefore stands.

Where the HD2 has GOOD drivers (and what a luxury to not have to wait for a busy owning company (HTC or Apple) to put out their own drivers before you can upgrade them!), it smashes the iPhone.

And clearly, hardware is more than just processing power in a CPU. There is the 448MB of RAM in the HD2, the much bigger and MORE SENSETIVE (now that I have one, I am certain) touchscreen, the better camera, the flashes for the camera, the now universal standard connector (Micro-USB)...

... and five (5) hardware buttons on the face.

oooooooooh

There can be no disagreement here pal. Thems the facts.