Chazzozz

WinMo vs Android vs iPhone vs ?

16bit colour eg 65k takes a lot less processing power than the 24bit 16 million colours the iPhone is processing therefore your point is pointless.

I suppose you have never heard of running a game in 16 bit colour mode to achieve a higher frame rate?

Hill, the point I made therefore stands.

So hold on -- with the updated drivers, which are the v1.1 mind you, provided by a third party, without HTC's involvement at all, we now see that the HD2 trades results wins with the iPhone 3GS in glbenchmark.

The difference:

HD2 res = 800x480 = 384,000px

iPhone 3GS res = 480x320 = 153,600px

Difference: a factor of > 2.2 (thats more than double there pal)

have you ever heard of running a game in LOWER RESOLUTION to get a better frame rate?

Admit it hill, you're beaten here. You simply cannot argue that the iPhone has the same horsepower as the HD2 (a point that I would have thought is bleedingly effing obvious from the 1GHz/448MB vs 600MHz/256MB starting specs).

Therefore as a result, harware engineer's definitions of "generations" aside. the HD2 is a much more powerful phone, any way you care to slice it. End-user experience is that the HD2 is seamlessly fast, and manages to do so while multi-tasking big apps -- Opera Mobile 9 with 9 active tabs, music playing, email for exchange active, Sense UI running, .pdf files of several MB open at once, games running, Office Mobile (word/excel) and a freaking phone call all at the same time.

Game set and match, fanboy. Your device possesses inferior hardware and inferior performance of that hardware, measured objectively.

I need a phone that can USB direct as an external drive (or micro SD) that can play AVI's daily show etc without conversion Does the HTC HD2 do that? Surely the iphone is next to useless as a video player?

HD2 has Micro SD (included is a 2GB MicroSD card, and a micro SD to SD adapter), and if you connect the Micro USB port on the HD2 to a PC's USB port (cable included) you have the option of using the HD2 (internal memory and storage card) as a storage device. Comes up as a removable disk in My Computer.

Is it possible to set the iPhone to 64k colours, and re-run this benchmark? Because I doubt the difference in performance between 16bit and 24bit is as large as people think.

But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

So what was the final result of the OpenGL test?

I notice that the results are not published on the benchmark site, why is that?

It's like a selective publishing of parts of a 3D mark test.

8 Tabs open in Safari, music playing, mail connected to exchange the iPhone 3GS multitasking and still running smoothly.

16 bit to 24 bit a difference of 2^8.

2 x the pixels vs 256 x the colours.

A more apt comparison of smashing re: last generations hardware would be the Nokia N97 which scored 69 frames vs HD2 406 frames vs iPhone 3GS 821 frames.

Did you see Android just overtook WinMo in sales of smartphones by OS, behind Symbian, RIM and iPhone OS?

Your devotion reminds me of Amiga fanboys back in the nineties.

So hold on -- with the updated drivers, which are the v1.1 mind you, provided by a third party, without HTC's involvement at all, we now see that the HD2 trades results wins with the iPhone 3GS in glbenchmark.

The difference:

HD2 res = 800x480 = 384,000px

iPhone 3GS res = 480x320 = 153,600px

Difference: a factor of > 2.2 (thats more than double there pal)

have you ever heard of running a game in LOWER RESOLUTION to get a better frame rate?

Admit it hill, you're beaten here. You simply cannot argue that the iPhone has the same horsepower as the HD2 (a point that I would have thought is bleedingly effing obvious from the 1GHz/448MB vs 600MHz/256MB starting specs).

Therefore as a result, harware engineer's definitions of "generations" aside. the HD2 is a much more powerful phone, any way you care to slice it. End-user experience is that the HD2 is seamlessly fast, and manages to do so while multi-tasking big apps -- Opera Mobile 9 with 9 active tabs, music playing, email for exchange active, Sense UI running, .pdf files of several MB open at once, games running, Office Mobile (word/excel) and a freaking phone call all at the same time.

Game set and match, fanboy. Your device possesses inferior hardware and inferior performance of that hardware, measured objectively.

I need a phone that can USB direct as an external drive (or micro SD) that can play AVI's daily show etc without conversion Does the HTC HD2 do that? Surely the iphone is next to useless as a video player?

HD2 has Micro SD (included is a 2GB MicroSD card, and a micro SD to SD adapter), and if you connect the Micro USB port on the HD2 to a PC's USB port (cable included) you have the option of using the HD2 (internal memory and storage card) as a storage device. Comes up as a removable disk in My Computer.

Why not get the HTC to run in 24bit mode...

...oh that's right it can't WinMo doesn't support it even though it's been the standard in smartphones since the N95 back in 2005, talk about "generations old".

Is it possible to set the iPhone to 64k colours, and re-run this benchmark? Because I doubt the difference in performance between 16bit and 24bit is as large as people think.

But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Edited by hill60606

So... that's still only one app running, not really multi tasking is it...

Any Cyber, that is exactly my point -- the colours make bugger all difference.

Hill, did you even read the link? Or the post above that copied it all out for you?

HD2: glbenchmark with drivers v 1.1:

GLBenchmark HD ES 1.1 = 1598fps

iPhone 3GS: 1564fps

And then the resolution difference. And the immature, hacky drivers for the HD2.

I mean there is just no reasoning with you. You cite the benchmark, focussing intently on one tiny aspect of hardware performance, and continue to ignore the points I have made repeatedly about THE REST OF THE HARDWARE OF THE HD2 -- camera, screen (size, res), etc. etc. Then, after all that, I find links that show that your beloved iPhone is bested by the HD2 hardware (with the help of a few guys working for free in their spare time, no less) in the benchmark you cited to begin with! Criminy.

Just for the record, the SE Satio smashes everyone in that benchmark -- 3449fps. And I suspect some benchmark weirdness when then the N93 (!) bests the iPhone 3GS.

Edited by Apocrypha

...oh that's right it can't WinMo doesn't support it even though it's been the standard in smartphones since the N95 back in 2005, talk about "generations old".

Or you could just run the test, so we can settle the debate with facts, rather than assumptions.

"Smashing" performance based on assumptions.

So it's all down to OPINION.

the end.

Or you could just run the test, so we can settle the debate with facts, rather than assumptions.

the end.

How about you run the effing benchmark and then we can get some answers? Cold, hard, unadulterated factual answers.

Your devotion reminds me of Amiga fanboys back in the nineties.

Says the pot to the kettle!

Thankyou maxx.

Wow this has gotten CrAzY!

Come on lets see some bench marks im keen as.

the end.

The only thing that's obvious is your blatant fanboism. You don't care what's best for the OP, or the argument. You just want to make sure your favourite company is the top dog at all costs. If you truly had any sense of an objective approach to technology, you'd just bloody run the test. I'm willing to be proven wrong, you on the other hand, are refusing to put the stats on the table for all to see. What do you have to lose? Your ego? Because if that's the issue here, then I'm bitterly disappointed.

Maybe someone who has an iPhone, and is willing to contribute to the discussion, can do some tests instead. Opinion is one thing dude, but once you've played your cards stating bullshit such as "last gen" hardware this and "glbenchmark" that, you can't back down with such a silly excuse.

The ball's in your court.

Go to the site where benchmark results are published, of course the HTC won't show up there as it is based on out of the box performance.

Regarding the camera, has HTC patched the pink patches with the photo's yet, it may be 5 megapixels but it's poor quality.

Let's get away from that and back to audio, remember I posted a link showing the results of audio testing where the iPhone 3GS beats the HTC hands down.

Putting everything together there is NOTHING to suggest the HD2 "smashes" the iPhone 3G in performance.

Rivals it yes, smashes it no.

Now the important part in the last quarter Apple became the worlds largest handset manufacturer based on revenue knocking Nokia from the number one spot they held for a decade.

HTC was so "smashed" in the reports it was lumped in under "other".

So let's see what happens when the next generation of the iPhone comes out next year and everyone can keep playing catch up.

100,000 Apps, 100,000 reasons to chose iPhone for developers it's a vibrant, growing market whereas WinMo is in it's deaththroes only sustained by enthiusiast sites like XDA developers.

Safari, iTunes, Mail are seperate applications the iPhone is capable of running them simultaneously as in the example I gave earlier, it's not "one app".

I'll let you get back to the Apple bashing now, after all among geek sheep it's the in thing to do, I mean how could Apple ever possibly do something seriously good, right?

Wow this has gotten CrAzY!

Come on lets see some bench marks im keen as.

Actually I love my iPhone, I think it's one of the best pieces of tech I have owned. I also own a MacBook and it's a fucking great piece of kit.

But I still don't think they are the be-all and end-all.

And just because it has a heap of apps doesn't mean it's good, how many of that 10000 are fart apps for example - there is a great indicator of how good a platform is, obviously!

Plus sales != a better technical performer. Look at betamax vs VHS. Or CD vs DVD-A.

It's your incessant denial and putting your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la, I'm not listening, la la la" when there is any Apple criticism voiced or a claim questioned that we (or at least me and a few others) have an issue with.

This is a geek forum, we try to judge things based on their technical merits. And as far as we have seen, in terms of these benchmarks, you are not being all that forthcoming to back up your point.

I'm happy to run benchmarks on any iPhone or iPod Touch models I can get my hands on. Is there a link to the program? Is it in the app store?

I might not be able to do it if it requires a jailbroken phone.

If you go back over the thread you'll see I responded to:-

a) the iPhone hardware being a couple of generations behind = not true.

b) the HTC HD2 "smashing" the iPhone 3GS performance wise = doubtful but arguable.

A position I backed up with links to sources to verify my position.

Now how many people will go to the trouble of modifying their HTC in order to match the iPhones performance straight out of the box?

Again the HTC DOES NOT "smash" the iPhone in performance in some areas yes, others no.

Now I never chose that terminology and perhaps I should not have fed the troll BUT you cannot expect to make sweeping, subjective generalizations without expecting a comeback.

Actually I love my iPhone, I think it's one of the best pieces of tech I have owned. I also own a MacBook and it's a fucking great piece of kit.

But I still don't think they are the be-all and end-all.

And just because it has a heap of apps doesn't mean it's good, how many of that 10000 are fart apps for example - there is a great indicator of how good a platform is, obviously!

Plus sales != a better technical performer. Look at betamax vs VHS. Or CD vs DVD-A.

It's your incessant denial and putting your fingers in your ears and singing "la la la, I'm not listening, la la la" when there is any Apple criticism voiced or a claim questioned that we (or at least me and a few others) have an issue with.

This is a geek forum, we try to judge things based on their technical merits. And as far as we have seen, in terms of these benchmarks, you are not being all that forthcoming to back up your point.

"Supported platforms

IPhone (2G/3G/3GS)

Symbian (S60 3rd Edition, S60 5th Edition (all S60 with Symbian 9.x))

Windows Mobile (Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6, PocketPC)

Linux (all embedded Linux, with OpenGL ES 1.1)

OpenKode

Brew"

Source:-

http://www.glbenchmark.com/tools.jsp?benchmark=glpro11

It might be in an alternative, it's not in App store.

Published results are results that count.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?orde...nchmark=glpro11

I wouldn't expect anything mudg3. TinBane, I'm assuming this is the software. I can't see the iPhone listed though.

Hmm, so I'd need a hacked iPhone? I'll keep an eye out and see if I can test it when I get one in. Iphone 3GS you want, I'm presuming?

Yeah. The 3G _is_ a generation behind. 3GS is current-gen tech. But I don't know if it can be forced into 65k mode. I also don't think pushing those colours will make much difference: on my old P2 laptop, changing colour depth didn't change much for gaming, just btw. We'll see.

Girvo: It should depend entirely on the limitations of the hardware, and the nature of the benchmark. I don't think the iPhone can be forced into 16-bit mode. :/

On my old P2-300mhz and even my Athlon, 16-bit made a big difference for some games.

So, the iPhone's hardware isn't good because it lacks a memory card reader then? Makes sense.