Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Vanne

Dragon Age: Origins

Hi, new thread and all due to the amount of spoilers floating around like a minefield in the other thread.

Iam after a detailed review of what you thought of the game. Ive just started and iam not completely sold on it yet. Something is slightly off... but cant put my finger on what it is...

thanks in advance.

Hi, new thread and all due to the amount of spoilers floating around like a minefield in the other thread.

Iam after a detailed review of what you thought of the game. Ive just started and iam not completely sold on it yet. Something is slightly off... but cant put my finger on what it is...

thanks in advance.

Pros:

+ Excellent cast of Characters, well voiced and interesting backgrounds.

+ Party based, tactical combat (although sometimes frustrating difficult)

+ Epic story (Covers lots of ground and effects an entire kingdom on a very fundamental level)

Cons:

- Camera can be a little frustrating at times in some areas

- Itemisation doesn't appear equal between all characters

For the most part, this game was pretty much exactly what I was expecting and more from Bioware. Huge game (50+ hours on a basic run through), interesting lore and fun and entertaining quests and plot devices.

I'd be keen to hear what you feel is off Vanna?

first off i find it excruciating swapping between weapon sets for the whole party. I would have liked it if you had selected the whole party, and then clicked on the weapon swap icon, they would all do it, not just the party leader. Secondary, i feel something is /off/ with the graphics, almost giving me a bethesda feel (oblivion) comes to mind. but thats ok, i can put up with that and maybe that will change once ive gotten into the game a bit further.

Iam also not sure about the camera... sometimes it works great, but when you zoom out, looses soo much tactically. And its even called tactical camera when viewed from the top. The game screen when viewed from the top is way to small and you can be getting shot at by the enemy (arrow or missile)and you can even see them.

I also feel that regardless of what choices i make the game runs along its rails. (well for most parts anyways) for example, i dont think there are enough choises in the game so far, i mean regardless what you pick, it kinda seems to put you in the right direction dammit! I know Baldurs Gate and nwn also did that during the campaign, but here i really find it obvious. I guess BG was better at hidding that than DA:O.

Iam still trying to figure it out exactly whats off, but its there, just well hidden.

V.

Any thoughts on that Neo?

To be honest i didn't ever weapons swap all that much. I did have a bow or xbow on my warrior and rogue classes for some fights where too many CQC wasn't helpful.

I know what you mean it is no Fallout 1 or 2.. The game will travel in very much the same direction the story is pretty much static so to speak what is variable is your part in the story hero or asshole etc.. the influence you have on the world is superficial to an extent. I felt the did well though when you consider the constraints of today back in the days of BG and Fallout it is easy to have you make a change to the world because it will throw up different text and tell you how you have changed something or turn some players hostile or friendly, now they needs to have cut scenes voice acting unique animations and 3d environments, you could argue adding sideways content in games today is more expensive then it was in the isometric gaming days.

This is why on my first play though i made it as through as i could a play through clocking more then 80 hours and doing literally everything sometimes making hard saves and taking both paths and seeing where they go because I know on a second play through the experience wont me much different.

The difference that you can make on second play through is more your combat synergies and believe me you will need to incorporate synergies on the hardest difficulty setting on alot of fights there is HUGE variety in combat styles depending on your group composition. I just figure you are more concerned with story which makes up a huge part of a true RPG

first off i find it excruciating swapping between weapon sets for the whole party. I would have liked it if you had selected the whole party, and then clicked on the weapon swap icon, they would all do it, not just the party leader.

Fair call, but I guess I simulate that mostly through the use of the tactic slots. It's pretty easy to setup tatics to use range against certain targets / classes/ armor types .. then make them automatically swap back to melee weapons when they fall into range.

Secondary, i feel something is /off/ with the graphics, almost giving me a bethesda feel (oblivion) comes to mind. but thats ok, i can put up with that and maybe that will change once ive gotten into the game a bit further.

Might be a case of personal choice. I agree, some of the models look better than others, but for a 5 year old game I think they're doing pretty well. RGP's really aren't about show casing flashy graphics engines anyway... FPS take that title. Some of the models and sync kills in the game are exellent though.. Hands down some of the coolest dragon models I've seen in in a long while.

Iam also not sure about the camera... sometimes it works great, but when you zoom out, looses soo much tactically. And its even called tactical camera when viewed from the top. The game screen when viewed from the top is way to small and you can be getting shot at by the enemy (arrow or missile)and you can even see them.

Have to agree. While it plays nicely most of the time, sometimes you wind up being shot from well off screen and are unable to scroll over to select your target.

There's also a few gitches with the AI too sometimes going nuts and running off into the middle of a group of guys to be killed.

Hopefully they'll address these with a patch down the road.

I also feel that regardless of what choices i make the game runs along its rails. (well for most parts anyways) for example, i dont think there are enough choises in the game so far, i mean regardless what you pick, it kinda seems to put you in the right direction dammit! I know Baldurs Gate and nwn also did that during the campaign, but here i really find it obvious. I guess BG was better at hidding that than DA:O.

Interestinly, I found myself lost at a couple of points in the story later on when I couldn't figure out where to go next to progress the plot. I think all RPG's are doomed to some extend to follow the "on rails" formulae.

I think Baulders gate was able to give a more open feel due to the nature of the plot. You were on the run, tossed out into the world and trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

In DO:O, you're told from the very beginning "Here is who you are and here's how you're going to go about saving the world.. go do it". I don't mind that so much, because I really enjoyed getting into the story, reading the history and hearing the stories of the characters.

Personal taste I guess. I like my RPG's to play a little like interactive novels sometimes. I like a little flexiblity to try out different options, but ultimately the story has to get told.

I'm going to re-roll a power mad elven mage and see how much I can screw things up for the "good guys" :) Wondering if I can become the right hand man of the Archdemon ;)

Yeah, I think you need to view this one as a fantasy novel, that you have some control over.

I don't think I'd describe it as revolutionary in any game play aspect; it's just a good solid narrative, in a land with a decent back story, with some genuinely interesting conversations/interactions. These facets are far too often glossed over, but when you come across a game that encompasses them, you invariably get drawn in; and suddenly you care a little about doing what ever quest you're on.

Edited by Periander

To be totally honest, i dont really care much at all for the graphics, and am a lot more interested in the whole story that needs to be told. RPG wise iam much, much more intrested in the tactics and the flow of combat/story that evolves. I know its early days for me with this game, so ill wait and see at this point, hopefully /things/ will fall into place.

I also do gather that there is a rich and cunning story going on around you, but with no manual and no additional background information, i feel as being an alien in a body i know i should know, but dont. I wish they would have included the books as PDF or even better as softcover in the box. Being 109.99 i feel thats warrented and would have been sooo much better to be able to delve into the characters and the world and actually have a feel of whats going on around you...

I mean its stupid that the "blight" is explained to the hero, as in reality everyone in that world would know bloody whole heartily what that was. Just breaks the IC (in character feel). Its kinda going up to someone in our world and explaining who Kevin Rudd is..

anyhows, i guess i would have liked a bit of a background story in the manual as from where iam sitting at the moment, iam playing through a game where i know nothing about the world, nor of any of its inhabitants...Distracting to say the least..

Kay, ill go and have a nice warm glass of harden the hell up now. :p

I think the tactical combat was done very well as good as it could have been done without it being either turn based or far more complex. Indeed i wouldn't have minded if it was turn based the action element to the combat made the game more accessible to the more casual gamers especially those on the console market but do feel the fast paced or action portion of the combat was lost on me as i found myself pausing quite literally once every 1-3 seconds depending on skill cool downs and circumstances.

It took me a while to get a good grasp of the world, but by my tenth hour I understood for the most part what was going on. It's only natural, I think; it usually takes me some time with those thousand page or more fantasy novels / series too. Reading every new entry in the Codex helps a lot in easing the pain though.

As for my opinion of the game? Well, now that I've gotten past my initial excitement and am well into my second playthrough (I was giggling at random throughout my first five hours at the delight of being able to switch seamlessly in and out of isometric - as well as how good it looks compared to the isometric RPGs of old) I'm still very much in love with Dragon Age, though capable of putting it down. The best part of the game for me is without a doubt the characters. Not a single companion I don't like - though I passed on one during my first playthrough and might again in my second. Gotten a lot of laughs from party banter and conversations with Alistair.

Combat's decently challenging (though much moreso on my first playthrough than my second), and requires a bit of thought at times - though during the second half of the game's middle act the difficult certainly eases up quite a bit. I didn't really enjoy the huge dungeon crawls the first time around thanks to the hassle of inventory management, but now that I've learned to purchase backpacks whenever they're available, I'm actually enjoying them. The plot's competent, the world impressively detailed, and the game has a nice balance between good, evil and delicious grey when it comes to moral choices. If Bioware had deviated from the pacing formula they've been following since I think NWN, Dragon Age would definitely trump BG2 for me. As it is, I think I need to play through BG2 again to ascertain which is the better game.

I mean its stupid that the "blight" is explained to the hero, as in reality everyone in that world would know bloody whole heartily what that was. Just breaks the IC (in character feel). Its kinda going up to someone in our world and explaining who Kevin Rudd is..

anyhows, i guess i would have liked a bit of a background story in the manual as from where iam sitting at the moment, iam playing through a game where i know nothing about the world, nor of any of its inhabitants...Distracting to say the least..

400 years since the last one, and you expect people to remember it as more than a myth/inn tale?

I read every codex entry, and I think the begining I played through as a Human Rogue gave me a good grasp of what the world was like, better than a manual.

ive been playing a bit longer and iam at level3 in the tower. man, some nice enemy models, realy nice job that.

maybe iam doing something wrong,, but whats the go with the npc's,if i instruct them to attack, sometime (well actually a lot of the time) after 1 attack, they'll just stand there dumb as dogshit, while my other chars are getting drilled. whats the go with that?

ive been playing a bit longer and iam at level3 in the tower. man, some nice enemy models, realy nice job that.

maybe iam doing something wrong,, but whats the go with the npc's,if i instruct them to attack, sometime (well actually a lot of the time) after 1 attack, they'll just stand there dumb as dogshit, while my other chars are getting drilled. whats the go with that?

I have that too sometimes, even if I set up the combat tactics, so I have to manually set up the fight most of the time, especially the dragon fights.

Anyone have issues with spell damage, I have been unable to get a single attack spell to do over 100 damage (except for spell combos). I got about 60 spelldamage or something. Do I need more? And I got a 30% fire damage bonus ( from gear apparently ).

I have that too sometimes, even if I set up the combat tactics, so I have to manually set up the fight most of the time, especially the dragon fights.

Anyone have issues with spell damage, I have been unable to get a single attack spell to do over 100 damage (except for spell combos). I got about 60 spelldamage or something. Do I need more? And I got a 30% fire damage bonus ( from gear apparently ).

What level is your caster?

I have morrigan with +30% (maybe more have to clarify) frost damage with spell power and spell might activated and winters grasp does about 77-79 I think.. IDK what lvl your guy is but i think thoes numbers sound all right remember use your AoE to actualy hit more then 1 person also id recommend another spell tree not just fire waiting for your cool downs to come back around will leave allot of non casting time and stave damage is shit even with the talent to improve it.

What level is your caster?

I have morrigan with +30% (maybe more have to clarify) frost damage with spell power and spell might activated and winters grasp does about 77-79 I think.. IDK what lvl your guy is but i think thoes numbers sound all right remember use your AoE to actualy hit more then 1 person also id recommend another spell tree not just fire waiting for your cool downs to come back around will leave allot of non casting time and stave damage is shit even with the talent to improve it.

Lvl 19, I think he has about 50+ spell power need to check but I been playing Borderlands with mates to go into Dragon Age. THe highest damage with spells is through a spell combo with Morrigan who has about 40+ spell power doing 180. That was doing the sleep/horror combo. And its not like I can repeatedly pull that off constantly either. As for some of the

It seems that for boss fights, my mage needs to conserve mana as much as possible, by buffing the tank with more damaging aura and healing whenever he is able to.... I wish my mage could actually do some damage against bosses, but then it'd probably be too easy...

I think the best character of mine is Allistair as a templar champion, apparnetly he hits for 40-80 with a starsword and shield. And to boot he tanks pretty well against most bosses, with him I spent about 5 health pots and 3 mana pots against the dragon and nobody died or got hurt except for allistair, I didnt even put force field on him!!!

I wish my mage could actually do some damage against bosses, but then it'd probably be too easy...

I think the best character of mine is Allistair as a templar champion, apparnetly he hits for 40-80 with a starsword and shield. And to boot he tanks pretty well against most bosses, with him I spent about 5 health pots and 3 mana pots against the dragon and nobody died or got hurt except for allistair, I didnt even put force field on him!!!

I found that hex Morrigan has very effective at boosting damage on bosses, also i found I used Morrigan as a great utility on bosses for instance cone of cold actually freezes bosses even the high dragon but not for the full 5 seconds more like 1-2. In this time though it meant i could get melee combos out that I otherwise wouldn't have because dragons and big bosses knock all melee backwards far too much.

But yea a sleep horror build might be a little less effective on bosses.

My schools were full frost and full lightning and full arcane with spell might and hex.

So a damage rotation was hex --> Winters grasp --> Lightning --> Arcane bolt (damage very poor), with options of a combo hex life steal, chain lightning and also the fables Storm of the century which is GODLY as long as you keep your team out of it.. It was ticking well over 100 for like 30 seconds..

My PC was a tank so i ran 2 tanks Alistair and myself, I went Berserker/Templar tho not Champion but Champ works well

Star Sword + Berserk + Shield Wall = Boss Tanking Beast

Cant be knocked down and you hit like a truck (For a tank)

I really liked how there were still good damage options for Full tanks so running 2 didn't feel gimped, I had a multitude of knock downs and stuns between them and no gear issues because Bioware decided on including 3 really good plate sets.

Edit

Oh i hear Arcane Warriors are really fun, I would like to see their stat build though not sure how much STR or constitution you need to stack.

Edited by Bundywow

Sure there is a major railroad feel but you can get to the same end in a variety of ways.

The interaction short chats between different party members are usually full of win. These are the npc's chatting away to themselves as you travel through the landscape.

Interacting with the npc's as your approval rating changes and after certain actions with them present is interesting as well and nicely fills in backstory for them and the world as a whole.

Finished the game, I was lvl 23 when I finished.

Spell wise:

- The Death Hex and Death Cloud combo is quite uber, but not done it on bosses, just liutenants and they down faster than anything.

- Crushing Prison is also pretty powerful, a hold that does 25 damage per tick and possbily killing liutenants, thankfull it doesnt work on bosses.

- Ice spells seems to be pretty powerful and yes it does freeze bosses but very short. And besides that with Allistair stacked on stamina, and also defence he was being hit for 50 so it was easy to heal him.

- Shatter is similar to the death hex and death cloud combo, never tried it on bosses but I gather it wouldnt work on them.

- Force shield spell is really OP but helpful on the Insanity difficulty.

Potion wise, I only used the mana and healing pots, never used the other ones because they are only done by casters and they go down like a lamp if you have an awesome templar to deal with them.

Oh and healing kits ( minor ) didnt need to use the higher level ones, only died about 15 times on most of my character except for Leliana, she got killed 40 times because she always aggro the boss over Allistair (Even with taunt AND threaten):(.

Most fights at the beginning were super frustrating and freaking annoying. Especially if they can two shot your tank at the start. ANd the fact that the liutenants were resistant to everything I threw at it :(.

I feel bad in my ending though ( I cant spoil it here :p ), even though I thought I done some of the things that would be good for all...

Guess you gotta do bad deeds to do good for the long term...

Hell most of the bosses are pretty resistant to spells anyway, required Allistair to tankem.

Now going to try playing human rogue or dwarven warrior, maybe...

Nice, i believe there is a combo with force field and crushing prison too. I am rolling again and making myself a rogue I think maybe bard/duellist with a bow and having Alistair with Sevren and Morrigan only i wont make morrigan elemental again maybe a hexer de-buffer and CC..

Thinking of having no mages for my next walkthrough. I wonder if its doable or not, probably not when surrounded with hundreds of troops and the like. But I'll give it a go.

Thinking of having no mages for my next walkthrough. I wonder if its doable or not, probably not when surrounded with hundreds of troops and the like. But I'll give it a go.

Maybe, If you are on nightmare try it with 2 sword and board.. you have insane amount of stuns/knockdowns especially if you go Templar | champion.

2 knockdowns, a single target stun and 2 aoe stun per tank..

Or instead of a caster you could make grease traps and fire grenades and ignite the traps perhaps?

Anyone played right through with the hound in your party? I dropped him because of the lack of skills but he is very sturdy.

Edited by Bundywow

Anyone played right through with the hound in your party? I dropped him because of the lack of skills but he is very sturdy.

Thought about it on and off, but without Taunt, he really struggles to find a role within the party. Shame really. Having your own dog is kinda cool, plus he doesn't care what kind of moral judgements you make.

Be interesting to make a party with *no* humans in it. ie. Dwarf, Elf, Dog, Golem, Giant (What ever Sten's race is)

Thought about it on and off, but without Taunt, he really struggles to find a role within the party. Shame really. Having your own dog is kinda cool, plus he doesn't care what kind of moral judgements you make.

Be interesting to make a party with *no* humans in it. ie. Dwarf, Elf, Dog, Golem, Giant (What ever Sten's race is)

In the new DLC return to Ostagar you get another opportunity to get a dog, wonder if you could get 2? or if it is just in case you roll an elf or dwarf and miss the quest in the start.