Sign in to follow this  
stash

8gb usb stick not problems

Today i been having issues with an 8gb usb stick that has been working for months now, firstly i was trying to format to HFS+ so i could get past the annoying 4gb limit of fat32 (wanting to use in xbox which only has fat32 and hfs suport).

After having issues with MacDrive software not working in windows 7 i reformatted back to Fat32.

Now the problem i am getting is i can put files on the usb perfectly fine and they will run off the stick, but as soon as i unplug it the data (video) turns into random folders and files with giberish symbols.

Posted Image

This is a shot of the issue.

I have tried quick formats and full formats on mine and the girlfriends computer but as soon as the stick is unplugged i get the same problem, doesnt matter what i put on it.

Any ideas as i have drawn a blank on this one.

Edit. It works fine when formated to ntfs... this is so annoying as i need it to work in fat32. Also other fat32 drives work fine.

Edited by stash

Well have now got the latest version of macdrive which supports Win 7 and now can atleast use the drive in my xbox again now and without the 4gb limit, but im still confused over the fat32 failing.

FAT32 (and FAT systems in general) are very fragile, it doesn't take much to scramble the entire volume with one bad write. There is FAT64 for Windows 7, Vista and XP with a patch but I don't anything else reads those.

Edited by Jeruselem