Sign in to follow this  
unsinkable86

Blue screen and overclocking

Like i said in the pc build thread. Only once have i got this blue screen. I have had it before on my old pc but on this one i dunno if thats bad or just a normal crash. Dumping physical memorie is what it said if i remeber correctly mate.

And overclocking, Where do i start? Ram, Vid card, CPU.

Don't worry about overclocking until you get these BSOD's fixed. Because overclocking can also cause them, and you don't want to introduce variables whilst troubleshooting.

Firstly, we need to figure out what BSOD message you're getting. You need to turn off automatic restarting when BSOD's occur, like this:

Posted Image

The next time you get a BSOD, write down the error description and code. You'll probably find it's something like 0x000000124.

Don't worry about overclocking until you get these BSOD's fixed. Because overclocking can also cause them, and you don't want to introduce variables whilst troubleshooting.

Firstly, we need to figure out what BSOD message you're getting. You need to turn off automatic restarting when BSOD's occur, like this:

Posted Image

The next time you get a BSOD, write down the error description and code. You'll probably find it's something like 0x000000124.

Sure ill just try and do what you just said ill tell you how i go. Ok iv unticked the box and next time it happens ill write down what it says and post it up.

Edited by unsinkable86

Sure ill just try and do what you just said ill tell you how i go. Ok iv unticked the box and next time it happens ill write down what it says and post it up.

Ahh, your a good lad! :)

Ahh, your a good lad! :)

Naww you. :D

Actually i want one more thing fixed. I was just playing a game and its happened to a couple of others. First 4 mins good then it goes to a black screen but i can still hear sound. Only once have i been able to keep playing because it went back to normal but other times i have to restart the pc. I can still hear sound when it goes black is this a common problem?

Is the game still running in the background when this happens? Or does it momentarily freeze?

The screen goes black but i can hear background music for example. I was playing cod2 and after a few minutes the screen went black (which it has done in other games) but i could hear the background music. Guns firing in the distance. If i clicked to shoot my weapon i cant hear anything so either the game pauses or its just the background music only. Dunno if that helps mate.

Sounds like GPU drivers to me.

Whats the GPU? I only know CPU. Where do i get such drivers or test the pc to see if thats the problem. And no i havnt installed any i think. Iv only installed the graphics card drivers on the cd. Edited by unsinkable86

make sure you uninstall the current drivers 1st. Restart the machine then install these ones.

It may fix your problem and stop the blue screens to you'll just have to test it.

make sure you uninstall the current drivers 1st. Restart the machine then install these ones.

It may fix your problem and stop the blue screens to you'll just have to test it.

How do i deleate the current drivers?

I tryed to install the driver i downloaded and now i cant find catalyst controller. I looked in programs but all the pictures are a white file. Did i screw it up? No that it matters anyway right cause im going to uninstall it anyways.

Edited by unsinkable86

Download this, it's called Driver Sweeper. Install when it's finished.

Remove your current Drivers through Programs and Features in Control Panel. Then restart and boot into safe mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 Key. Then run driver sweeper and restart the computer, and boot into normal mode. Then just go ahead and install the new driver.

Easy as pie.

:)

I uninstalled the driver and installed the driver i downloaded today but it still got the black screen after a while. I didnt run that driver sweep because i dont understand it, i think i downloaded one for nvidea?

You did connect the power cables to your video card yes ? Oh and not only should your video card drivers be up to date, but you should make sure your games are also up to date with all patches installed.

Edited by bowiee

I would say the best thing to do would be make sure the cpu, ram and video card are both operating normally first ie:

OCCT for the video card and CPU

memtest for the ram although I have found if you use OCCT whilst using dodgy ram it will find errors anyway.

edit: make sure your sound drivers are up to date as well I remember some cod games are very finicky with sound cards/onboard sound.

Edited by nesquick

My goodness my fustration is at a peak . I baught cod WaW today and boy dont buy this game anyone. Its a disc full of errors and you cant even play the single player for goodness sakes.

Pc keeps crashing also. I had a look at the occt and memtest but i dont understand how to download either one or use them. I really want want to find the problems so it stops crashing its not normal. Can you try and make it clear what i have to do again?